Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] D Justin Barron re-signs with the Canadiens (2 years, $1.15M AAV)

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
gabe would go MUCH higher in redraft
He is closer to ready than Rein is now, tho I expect he will get there on sched
So why are Havs trading the best dman of the 2023 draft, a top 3-5 dman prospect in the entire world for Gabe Perrault lol.

Perrault had a similar value to Barron. A tweener that could dev into a top6 F or top4 D.

Habs won't trade a better prospect (Reinbacher) for a lesser one and a side piece. If we deal,.we are the one sending numerous assets for a better one as we have too much depth already.

Barron + a pick or a guy like Farrell for Perrault. Something like that. We're we send 2 lesser assets for a better, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
So why are Havs trading the best dman of the 2023 draft, a top 3-5 dman prospect in the entire world for Gabe Perrault lol.

Perrault had a similar value to Barron. A tweener that could dev into a top6 F or top4 D.

Habs won't trade a better prospect (Reinbacher) for a lesser one and a side piece. If we deal,.we are the one sending numerous assets for a better one as we have too much depth already.

Barron + a pick or a guy like Farrell for Perrault. Something like that. We're we send 2 lesser assets for a better, not the other way around.
Both his and your proposals are terrible.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Perreault is much closer to Reinbacher than he is to Barron, good lord. In fact, I would argue that the only reason that Reinbacher is more valuable than Perreault is strictly based on position RD vs. LW.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Perreault is much closer to Reinbacher than he is to Barron, good lord. In fact, I would argue that the only reason that Reinbacher is more valuable than Perreault is strictly based on position RD vs. LW.
And I wpuld argue that if it were true, Perrault would have been a top5 pick in the 23 draft which he was not.

Reinbacher us a much better prospect

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
And I wpuld argue that if it were true, Perrault would have been a top5 pick in the 23 draft which he was not.

Reinbacher us a much better prospect
RD are far more valuable than LW under 6’2”.

David Reinbacher was 8th on Bob Mackenzie’s final 2023 scout poll and Gabe Perreault was 10th. Reinbacher was overdrafted because he is a 6’2” RD and Perreault fell because he’s a 5’10” LW. On talent they are equal as prospects.

• Love
Reactions: bernmeister

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
There remains lack of precise consensus, but I think we are all in a close enuf ballpark.

That said, Cuyle is worth more than Barron, and imo has > upside
Also, we do not have immediately available depth that, even that aside, he could be made available for JB+.

We do not HAVE TO go prospect if we can agree on other vet as asset preferred.
Howev, I don't see an immediate match.

My first thoughts are:
Adam Sykora -- if I remember a mid 2nd rounder doing well, LW w/pivot experience
and
Raoul Boilard -- a C drafted 4th round this yr
Raoul Boilard Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

for
Barron + a 3rd

thoughts?
Goodness gracious. No. I'm not even high on Barron and that would be an emphatic no even without adding to him.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
RD are far more valuable than LW under 6’2”.

David Reinbacher was 8th on Bob Mackenzie’s final 2023 scout poll and Gabe Perreault was 10th. Reinbacher was overdrafted because he is a 6’2” RD and Perreault fell because he’s a 5’10” LW. On talent they are equal as prospects.
Probably but there is much more to drafting a player than just talent.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Probably but there is much more to drafting a player than just talent.
Sure, and I would take Reinbacher over Perreault because quality two-way RD are more rare than small skilled LW. But the poster I was responding to suggested that Perreault’s value is closer to Justin Barron than to David Reinbacher. That is just aggressively not even close to true.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Sure, and I would take Reinbacher over Perreault because quality two-way RD are more rare than small skilled LW. But the poster I was responding to suggested that Perreault’s value is closer to Justin Barron than to David Reinbacher. That is just aggressively not even close to true.
Reinbacher is a top5 D prospect in the world at this moment.

Is Gabe Perrault a top5 F prospect in the world? Cause thats the only type of Proapect we'll trade Reinbacher for

Yes Gabe Perrault value is a lot closer to Barron than it os to Reinbacher.

Barron and him are 2 late 1st rder. One of them has been in the NHL already and was good offensively (Barron). Let's see what Perrault does without leaching of Cellebrini next year. Doubt he gets another 60pts season

• Haha
Reactions: Bluenotes27

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

Is Gabe Perrault a top5 F prospect in the world? Cause thats the only type of Proapect we'll trade Reinbacher for

Barron and him are 2 late 1st rder. One of them has been in the NHL already and was good offensively (Barron). Let's see what Perrault does without leaching of Cellebrini next year. Doubt he gets another 60pts season
Where is Reinbacher ranked a top5 D prospect?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Beyond the fact that you’re wrong at every turn, it would help your case if you actually knew what school Perreault went to.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Why do you want to trade him then? You expect us to believe this nonsense? Lmao
The thread is about news: Barron getting short term deal cheap; so what is his value to Habs based on keeping him vis a vis their ample D depth vs trading him, presumably for a non D asset.

Rangers in a parallel scenario, w/ample W depth

Theoretically if there is a match, it would be complementary for each -- depth to address scarcity of need.

So that is the prime basis reason answering your ?
Rs have coupla decent LD in pipeline, but very thin on natural RD

Now, gotta consider if timing is a factor

Gabe P developed way faster than others.
College etc commitments aside he could have a cup o coffee this yr and compete for a mid 6 spot next season with first line in sight after that.

While not a huge dif, Rein is at least a extra half a year or more away, assuming he advances at the same rate as Perreault.

Habs can use Gabe ASAP and he will be ready in very short order
Rs needed Rein yesterday, but he will take longer to marinate/get here

Rs have Othmann and others who are lesser but still interesting Ws
they are minimal at natural RD

Like @Juxtaposer said, ballpark = talent

so as to Barron, envision him as an add for a package
unless a fair exchange can happen smaller deal for Sykora or similar level prospect

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Barron was a very late 1st who no longer has elc level cost control
He has moderate, not max level upside.
He is a good buy even above min dollar but no way overpay and closer to mid money at most.
He is not a home run

atm, Othmann looks like a solid hit, possibly a HR, and Gabe, like Rein, looks like a grand slam

you overrate Barron and underrate R assets

Ledge And Dairy

Um what? Who's rankings are you using? Scott Wheeler for example just released his top 100 prospect rankings and Reinbacher is 8th among RD alone. If you add in LD he is 16th, and out of everyone he is ranked 38th (I am personally higher on Reinbacher than someone like ASP who he has ranked 1 spot ahead but they are fairly close).

As for Perrault he has him ranked 1st among LW's, 3rd among all wingers, 5th among all forwards, and 13th overall. For context Wheeler has Stankoven ranked right behind him at 14th and we just witnessed how good that kid looks.

As of right now Barron isn't even in the same stratosphere as Perrault, but that tends to happen when one gets sent down the the AHL after struggling on one of the weakest d-core's in the league vs the other putting up nearly identical production to the recent 1st OA pick also as a Freshman in the NCAA.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Is G Perreault still 5'-11" and 165 lbs? A little light in weight eh? Is the 165 lbs still accurate or was that his draft weight?

He's got offensive game but he's in for a wake up call when he turns pro. Sorry bud but you are reaching too much on this one. All this hype pre NHL has to stop. It's usually a huge jump in quality of play for 90% of the players out there and Perreault is not the exception.

The reason why Reinbacher is more valuable is his size/skating/compete level and yes, he plays RD which make it more attractive.

What you are doing is
* Pumping Perreault too much. Yes, he goes earlier in a redraft but not moving as much as you think.
* Blah on Reinbacher. This kid has game and the size/skating to support it.
* Deflating Barron who is still a very good prospect. All you fans see his name being shopped by fans and think he is not good anymore. This kid has a great package of size/skating/shot power and the only thing he is missing is maturity/experience. I think he becomes one of those guys that hits his prime a bit later.

I bet you Barron and Perreault have similar NHL values once they are both playing full NHL seasons.

• Haha
Reactions: Bluenotes27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Barron was a very late 1st who no longer has elc level cost control
He has moderate, not max level upside.
He is a good buy even above min dollar but no way overpay and closer to mid money at most.
He is not a home run

atm, Othmann looks like a solid hit, possibly a HR, and Gabe, like Rein, looks like a grand slam

you overrate Barron and underrate R assets

Doesn't matter to me. Barron is still very much part of my plans for the Habs. He's going to prove guys wrong and his value with fans has gone down because he's being shopped by Habs fans due to our deep pool at D.

Doubt Hughes is shopping Barron like that.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Perreault has also gotten to play with the same 2 linemates for like 4 years straight, this will not continue forever.

His numbers are a bit inflated although he is a good prospect.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
And height/weight & potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad