Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] D Justin Barron re-signs with the Canadiens (2 years, $1.15M AAV)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Feels like a real "make or break" year for Barron this season. Either he establishes himself, or he's gone.

But tacking a second year on to this contract almost feels a bit like pre-planning for if he doesn't firmly establish himself in the NHL this season. To make him less enticing for other teams as a potential waiver claim at some point later this year or early next year. But to still keep him in the organization?

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
So we don't have to rush Mailloux/Reinbacher at RD. Also, Savard is likely getting traded at the deadline.
i didnt even include savard in the #5-7 even though that's were he should play. i was referring to harris, xhejak, barron, and struble all going for the #5-7th role. I figure matheson, savard, guhle, and hutson play in the top 4.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
i didnt even include savard in the #5-7 even though that's were he should play. i was referring to harris, xhejak, barron, and struble all going for the #5-7th role. I figure matheson, savard, guhle, and hutson play in the top 4.

Barron is the only natural RD in that group.

It will be crowded to start the years, but injuries and trades will take care of that.

Reactions: BHD

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
It was for him and a 2nd round pick (which was used to trade up for Hage). We weren't keeping Lehkonen in a rebuild.

How is this nepotism?
They sold on Lehk when he could’ve been sold as an RFA.
Barron looked like a bust since Col.
Joe sakic swindle us and Hughes has kept this guy when any other team would waive him. Not worth 1m a year. 2 years is even funnier. It is what it is, but he’s paying this guy only because he traded for him

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They sold on Lehk when he could’ve been sold as an RFA.
Barron looked like a bust since Col.
Joe sakic swindle us and Hughes has kept this guy when any other team would waive him. Not worth 1m a year. 2 years is even funnier. It is what it is, but he’s paying this guy only because he traded for him

You think Lehkonen would have gotten more as a RFA? Pretty sure they would have gotten less than they did.

Hughes did send Barron down to the AHL at some point so again I'm puzzled by your comments.

He's a placeholder RD who signed a completely buryable contract. If Mailloux/Reinbacher push their way up earlier than expected, you can trade him or waive him.

If he somehow develops more, it's a bonus.

Also still waiting for how this is nepotism.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
You think Lehkonen would have gotten more as a RFA? Pretty sure they would have gotten less than they did.

Hughes did send Barron down to the AHL at some point so again I'm puzzled by your comments.

He's a placeholder RD who signed a completely buryable contract. If Mailloux/Reinbacher push their way up earlier than expected, you can trade him or waive him.

If he somehow develops more, it's a bonus.

Also still waiting for how this is nepotism.
You’re puzzled by my comments?
He got a bust and a late 2nd for our best trade chip. So he’s a placeholder ?
Idk about you but trading your best asset for a placeholder screams stupidity ( I don’t think that was the case)
Let me guess, your gonna say lehky was not our best trade chip. Go look at comments made by Hughes and MSL and come back.

“It’s a bonus if he somehow develops”.

Then why the F are you acquiring him.
Do your job and scout before you trade someone. It shows me that Hughes (at the time at least) did not know how to evaluate talent.

He’s not worth anything, I don’t see how you think you’ll get anything for him. Rather give the ice time to guys who will eventually be in the NHL.

Since you had a hard time understanding nepotism I’ll explain it to you

Let’s start with the definition of nepotism as defined by Oxford

“the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives, friends, or associates, especially by giving them jobs.

He just signed him to a 2 year 1m extension…. He can’t play in the NHL, he will never play a regular role in the NHL.
The only reason Hughe (ie the person in power) signed him (ie associate) is because he traded for him.
He gave this guy a job and now has secured him more money.
If this move was made at the end of his tenure, it would be a fireable offence.

Did you understand or should I put more effort into this?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Idk about you but trading your best asset for a placeholder screams stupidity ( I don’t think that was the case)
Let me guess, your gonna say lehky was not our best trade chip. Go look at comments made by Hughes and MSL and come back.

Do your job and scout before you trade someone. It shows me that Hughes (at the time at least) did not know how to evaluate talent.

He’s not worth anything, I don’t see how you think you’ll get anything for him. Rather give the ice time to guys who will eventually be in the NHL.

“the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives, friends, or associates, especially by giving them jobs.

He just signed him to a 2 year 1m extension…. He can’t play in the NHL, he will never play a regular role in the NHL.
The only reason Hughe (ie the person in power) signed him (ie associate) is because he traded for him.

You should put more effort into it since you're wrong.

A fireable offence for trading Lekhonen for Barron and a second is absolutely hilarious. Bergevin made a worst move than that every year of his tenure for 10 years and you survived , ill sure you'll get through this rough period of time where we traded Lekhonen for decent future assets :(

wtf did you want us to trade Lekhonen for if not for a prospect and pick lmao the kid is 22 years old you are clearly biased and don't like the player

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

I was puzzled why you said he never sent him down when he actually did. Unless you meant waiving a waiver exempt player for fun which would explain things.

Wasn't a placeholder when he was traded for. He became one when other prospects were drafted/developed. We have other prospects who will likely do his role better than him.

If you consider anyone drafted, signed or traded for by Hughes an associate then the word nepotism lose all its meaning.

I don't know what Barron did to you for you to hate him so irrationally, but he's nowhere as bad as you make him out to be.

Edit: You were pretty much the only one to hate this trade for the Habs on both the Habs and main board. Probably still the case.

Last edited:

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
I was puzzled why you said he never sent him down when he actually did. Unless you meant waiving a waiver exempt player for fun which would explain things.

Wasn't a placeholder when he was traded for. He became one when other prospects were drafted/developed. We have other prospects who will likely do his role better than him.

If you consider anyone drafted, signed or traded for by Hughes an associate then the word nepotism lose all its meaning.

I don't know what Barron did to you for you to hate him so irrationally, but he's nowhere as bad as you make him out to be.

Edit: You were pretty much the only one to hate this trade for the Habs on both the Habs and main board. Probably still the case.
It was a bad trade then and it’s a bad trade now. Again I’ll restate my initial comment. The only reason he gets this contract is because of Nepotism. Compare him to Ylonen. 1 gets great treatment the other doesn’t. 1 gets paid when nobody wants him, the other can’t even get a qualifying offer.
They are very similar in their value.

In this specific scenario, it’s nepotism.
By waive the player I meant trade him and stop wasting development on him before his deprecation hits an all time low. I know last year he was waiver free, my focus is cutting him lose. I don’t hate Barron, I don’t know Barron. What I do hate is wasting a trade chip just to get the shiny former 1st round pick especially when there was no need to trade. Lehk was an RFA and Hughes wanted to save cap for Pitlick. Fumble on fumble when it comes to pro scouting .

He didn’t do his job then and he’s doubling down now.
It is what it is, other than that I have no real criticism for Hughes and like him as
our GM.
I’m just being honest, it was terrible then it’s terrible now. Hughes definitely has his favourites (Matheson )

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It was a bad trade then and it’s a bad trade now. Again I’ll restate my initial comment. The only reason he gets this contract is because of Nepotism. Compare him to Ylonen. 1 gets great treatment the other doesn’t. 1 gets paid when nobody wants him, the other can’t even get a qualifying offer.
They are very similar in their value.

In this specific scenario, it’s nepotism.
By waive the player I meant trade him and stop wasting development on him before his deprecation hits an all time low. I know last year he was waiver free, my focus is cutting him lose. I don’t hate Barron, I don’t know Barron. What I do hate is wasting a trade chip just to get the shiny former 1st round pick especially when there was no need to trade. Lehk was an RFA and Hughes wanted to save cap for Pitlick. Fumble on fumble when it comes to pro scouting .

He didn’t do his job then and he’s doubling down now.
It is what it is, other than that I have no real criticism for Hughes and like him as
our GM.
I’m just being honest, it was terrible then it’s terrible now. Hughes definitely has his favourites (Matheson )

Ylonen and Barron are not similar in value at all. Barron outscored him while playing less games and is a way more valuable piece at the NHL level. Ylonen wasn't even able to get more than a 1 year two-way league minimum deal.

It is not nepotism. Hughes has no special relation to Barron compared to every single other player on the team. In fact, you could actually pinpoint players on the team that do have a special relation to Hughes, like Matheson and Newhook. Hughes even let go of two players he had a link with in Colin White and Anthony Richard which really puts in doubt Hughes would be nepotic with depth players. Just because you don't understand the decision it doesn't make it nepotic. I have no idea where you got the idea Hughes is somehow obsessed with hanging on to Barron, but it's obviously not grounded in reality. We don't have many NHL ready RD and he has better upside than Kovacevic so he kept him instead. It's really not deeper than that.

Hughes wanted to save cap for Pitlick so he traded Lehkonen? What planet are you living on? Pitlick signed a cheaper deal than Barron just signed, pretty inconsequential cap wise.

You had a very strong dislike of Barron two years ago and still do. That is clouding your judgment.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Ylonen and Barron are not similar in value at all. Barron outscored him while playing less games and is a way more valuable piece at the NHL level. Ylonen wasn't even able to get more than a 1 year two-way league minimum deal.

It is not nepotism. Hughes has no special relation to Barron compared to every single other player on the team. In fact, you could actually pinpoint players on the team that do have a special relation to Hughes, like Matheson and Newhook. Hughes even let go of two players he had a link with in Colin White and Anthony Richard which really puts in doubt Hughes would be nepotic with depth players. Just because you don't understand the decision it doesn't make it nepotic. I have no idea where you got the idea Hughes is somehow obsessed with hanging on to Barron, but it's obviously not grounded in reality. We don't have many NHL ready RD and he has better upside than Kovacevic so he kept him instead. It's really not deeper than that.

Hughes wanted to save cap for Pitlick so he traded Lehkonen? What planet are you living on? Pitlick signed a cheaper deal than Barron just signed, pretty inconsequential cap wise.

You had a very strong dislike of Barron two years ago and still do. That is clouding your judgment.
Ok so just ignore everything I have to say. Goodnight man

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
It sounds easy to say in hindsight. Nobody knew how Barron would develop back then when he was what, 20yo ?

Right now, you can only hope he will brake out this year, all while you don't have a sure replacement now. If he breaks out, this is all good. If he doesn't, he can be waived and burried. That's a good risk to take now while Mailloux & Reinbacher develop. Also provides internal competition.

That contract screams last chance, not nepotism.

Of course the trade looks bad now, but it didn't back then. And wouldn't have been if Barron broke out. Hindsight is so marvelous to appear brilliant on a message board.

Heck, even Lekhonen didn't carry the value he has now back then...

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Due to shortage of natural RD, Rs interested at the right price.

Value: he was a very late 1st. no longer elc level cost control. Good 2 yr deal for immediate future.
Upside: has not distinguished himself. Does have modest to moderate upside.

What is your generic price in a vacuum, and what Rangers asset(s) correspond to that benchmark?
Also what are Habs current needs?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Due to shortage of natural RD, Rs interested at the right price.

Value: he was a very late 1st. no longer elc level cost control. Good 2 yr deal for immediate future.
Upside: has not distinguished himself. Does have modest to moderate upside.

What is your generic price in a vacuum, and what Rangers asset(s) correspond to that benchmark?
Also what are Habs current needs?
A prospect of the same age, forward. With upside.

R's don't have that

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Feels like a real "make or break" year for Barron this season. Either he establishes himself, or he's gone.

But tacking a second year on to this contract almost feels a bit like pre-planning for if he doesn't firmly establish himself in the NHL this season. To make him less enticing for other teams as a potential waiver claim at some point later this year or early next year. But to still keep him in the organization?

It does seem like just a bit of bitter pill to make a team think twice about the possibility of a waiver claim.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Perhaps it is getting close to make or break time in montreal, but thats just because that pipeline has alot depth, and it would be easy to get lost in it.

But I can see him get several kicks at the can with multiple nhl teams moving forward because his assets are that intriguing. Not to mention that first round picks inherently tend to get additional opportunities to stick.

Still only 22 years old, and if it clicks, he would join a very vast list of dmen that take some time to adapt to the nhl level before they stick.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

... You really should've put less effort into this.

Will Cuylle is exactly that
I'd cream my pants if we could get Cuylle for Barron.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
He's still young enough to learn and he has abilities that can't be taught. I hope the team plays him a lot despite the inevitable mistakes. He needs to play everyday with a regular partner that complements his skill set, imo. Could that be Arber? I think the kid could really be a good fit

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'd cream my pants if we could get Cuylle for Barron.

Meh. Ceiling on Barron is higher and both share a similar floor (depth NHL regular).

Doubt the Rangers would do it. Cuylle fits their roster needs very well now and moving forward, and they don't have a short term need at RD.

I'd probably do it but wouldn't be surprised in the least if Barron ends up the better player. Not sure KH does it without a + or as part of a broader deal...

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I really wouldn't be too disappointed if Barron turned out to be Brisebois with a better shot. Brisebois should have been a second pairing D, but was placed in a top pairing role due to management's failure to get better players. He was then overpaid based on his role on the team, which resulted in his getting a lot of hate from the fans. Patrice Brisebois was far from a star, but he did manage to play 18 seasons in the NHL.
Barron so far is trending way behind Brisebois at the same age and there is no reason to see him having any type of career that Brisbois had.

He is probably just place holding.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Barron so far is trending way behind Brisebois at the same age and there is no reason to see him having any type of career that Brisbois had.

He is probably just place holding.
?
Barron D4- 94 games, 31 points
Brisebois D4- 106 games, 43 points

Brisebois' first seasons were on a Habs roster that won the division one year & the cup the next.

Barron has been playing on a rebuilding Habs roster that finished last & 5th last his first 2 yrs.

Not sure how/why you'd equate Barron to being "far behind" Brisebois at this point in their careers...

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3