Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] D Justin Barron re-signs with the Canadiens (2 years, $1.15M AAV)

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_9013.png

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
A nice pair of bridge show-me deals for 2 of Montreal's many young and upcoming d-men.

Reactions: Nevins

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If Hutson is in the NHL and in the starting six (no reason to have him a scratch), I assume the Habs will carry 13 forwards and 8 defensemen if healthy, to start the year? With Allen gone, they don't need to do 3 goalies on their 23-man so that frees up a spot.

Matheson, Guhle, Savard, Hutson, Xhexaj, Harris, Struble, Barron.

With Savard probably gone at the TDL, maybe Matheson and one of Harris/Struble/Barron potentially expendable as well, eventually...especially if Mailloux and Reinbacher progress and/or a guy like Engstrom adapts quickly.

That still gives you room in your forward group of 13 for Roy and RHP if healthy, with Barre-Boulet and Gignac as guys you can easily send back and forth to the AHL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If you are planning on carrying all of those youngsters you need to swap them in and out to get them into games. That’s why most clubs will opt for a veteran as the 8th guy if they carry 8 Dmen or even the standard 7.

Montreal has the option to waive struble to Laval as he is still waiver exempt I believe. Probably better than him going in and out of the lineup in the NHL.

Reactions: wetcoast

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
If Hutson is in the NHL and in the starting six (no reason to have him a scratch), I assume the Habs will carry 13 forwards and 8 defensemen if healthy, to start the year? With Allen gone, they don't need to do 3 goalies on their 23-man so that frees up a spot.

Matheson, Guhle, Savard, Hutson, Xhexaj, Harris, Struble, Barron.

With Savard probably gone at the TDL, maybe Matheson and one of Harris/Struble/Barron potentially expendable as well, eventually...especially if Mailloux and Reinbacher progress and/or a guy like Engstrom adapts quickly.

That still gives you room in your forward group of 13 for Roy and RHP if healthy, with Barre-Boulet and Gignac as guys you can easily send back and forth to the AHL.
I excepted Harris to be traded but hasn't happened yet. Hutson probably start in Laval

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Tidy business today. I'm not convinced Barron won't be more than Brisebois with a better shot, but he's got two years at a very manageable cap hit to take the next step.
I really wouldn't be too disappointed if Barron turned out to be Brisebois with a better shot. Brisebois should have been a second pairing D, but was placed in a top pairing role due to management's failure to get better players. He was then overpaid based on his role on the team, which resulted in his getting a lot of hate from the fans. Patrice Brisebois was far from a star, but he did manage to play 18 seasons in the NHL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I excepted Harris to be traded but hasn't happened yet. Hutson probably start in Laval
Harris won't fetch much. LHD, whom most clubs would put into the 3rd pairing at this point. Those guys are fairly easy to find. If he was a RHD, even a 3rd pairing guy, he'd get more looks and chances elsewhere.

Again, you can't have 6 young guys swapping in and out of the lineup until Savard is dealt at the TDL. If all are somehow healthy, that is like 40 games in and 20 scratches each until the TDL for those 6 kids to get them all regularly into the lineup. Unless you pick one or 2 to be scratched more.
Better to then assign one to Laval to get them minutes.

Reactions: bernmeister

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I really wouldn't be too disappointed if Barron turned out to be Brisebois with a better shot. Brisebois should have been a second pairing D, but was placed in a top pairing role due to management's failure to get better players. He was then overpaid based on his role on the team, which resulted in his getting a lot of hate from the fans. Patrice Brisebois was far from a star, but he did manage to play 18 seasons in the NHL.
There's no question Brisebois managed to carve out a career while being a dumpster fire in his own end most nights. Maybe Barron will be more of Traverse, but I've tried to mentally block the latter lol.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
There's no question Brisebois managed to carve out a career while being a dumpster fire in his own end most nights. Maybe Barron will be more of Traverse, but I've tried to mentally block the latter lol.
Brisebois with a better shot is like his upside at this point. I think we'd take that all day long.
Could certainly be worse. But, there's a lot of depth there and that may not be room for him if he can't be better in his own end.

Reactions: Eegs

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It's a win-win. If he stays, he's here for cheap and the habs need RD right now. If he is to be traded, his value is locked in and teams can better quantify what they'd trade for him. It's a cheap contract for a high-ceiling Dman who is very young and just needs time to mature his game. He could be a very attractive asset, and because the habs are back to carrying 2 goalies, Hughes isn't in a position where he HAS to deal Barron or lose him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad