Value of: MTL-COL -> Mittelstadt

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Don Hughes

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
I'd be curious of the value of Mittelstadt if he price himself out of Colorado in his RFA demands. I know Colorado just gave Byram to acquire Mittelstadt but with the cap getting tight, especially if Landy comes back, and with the amount of players still needed, I'd be curious to see the price point to acquire him.
Hughes has made some trades with Colorado in the past and he's made some move that nobody saw coming. I wonder if this could be one.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Well what is MTL trying to offer?
Realistically I don't think there's a deal to be made. Young D are Montreal's surplus, but the only ones that are in the same internal value range as Byram aren't going to be available for trade, and I doubt a deal starting with Mailloux would get it done.

Deal just wouldn't make sense right now.

The Don Hughes

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
Well what is MTL trying to offer?
I felt more confortable asking what would Colorado want instead of proposing something that wouldn't match the needs and look like a clown. I understand that they've been looking for a decent 2C ever since Kadri left, but the reality is that the cap is pretty tight with lots of holes and a trade would be better than just an offersheet.

Reactions: jfhabs

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Once you take out the recent high picks and trendy prospects, Montreal’s asset pool isn’t anything special. Winnipeg’s 1st in 26OA. Odds are that the extra 2025 pick will be similarly placed. Other teams have their own recent late 1sts and 2nds.

Not to say that the Habs can’t make a splash that way, but you won’t find a warm reception on here ahead of time.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I felt more confortable asking what would Colorado want instead of proposing something that wouldn't match the needs and look like a clown. I understand that they've been looking for a decent 2C ever since Kadri left, but the reality is that the cap is pretty tight with lots of holes and a trade would be better than just an offersheet.
I guess Colorado could swap Mittelstadt with Nick Suzuki. At least there is cost certainity there.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I am highly intrigued by his contract. I was not willing to do more than 6-6.5 x 4. If he ends up at like 7+ x 5+ I will be very happy he was not resigned in Buffalo.

Reactions: The Don Hughes

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There is no fit because the Habs need MORE offense and what we have is a surplus of young 5-6th defenseman. Which Colorado doesn't need.

There are a few teams like Philly who has forward depth and need more defenseman. Of course they will want players like Mailioux and Hutson, or Guhle, which won't happen.

It's not easy to fill a hole with a high quality player without creating another hole.

Offersheet 1-2 at 6.871
Briings Casey to UFA status and COL likely not able to match. Cost a 1st and a 3rd
The problem with that is that the Habs may lose a top 5 draft piece from our first..

We're not out of the woods and into middle draft position where we won't lose a high quality draft pick.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Because the Habs have shown a proficiency understanding offersheets.
That guy is in LA now.

Habs pass. I think Dach can be a number 2 centre capable of 50+ points. Mittlestadt kinda sucks on draws, but Dach is worse, but he brings more of an edge than Mittlestadt. Habs wouldn't pay what he's worth, so Colorado passes, too.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
unless the habs offer a 2c and a goalie i dont see what would motivate colorado to do this.

habs would have a better shot at nuke or girard.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Realistically I don't think there's a deal to be made. Young D are Montreal's surplus, but the only ones that are in the same internal value range as Byram aren't going to be available for trade, and I doubt a deal starting with Mailloux would get it done.

Deal just wouldn't make sense right now.
Correct, a Mailloux level prospect most certainly would not get it done.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There was not a bigger hole than 2C on the Avs in recent years. Trading the newly acquired one just makes no sense

But you could have Barron back though! Think of the possibilities!

Seriously though, seems really unlikely that having found a good one, the Avs are going to spin him off for something other than, well, him.

Reactions: AslanRH

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Once you take out the recent high picks and trendy prospects, Montreal’s asset pool isn’t anything special. Winnipeg’s 1st in 26OA. Odds are that the extra 2025 pick will be similarly placed. Other teams have their own recent late 1sts and 2nds.
So once you take out everything good that they've accumulated over the last few years of tanking, their prospect pool isn't that good?

They were hopelessly trying to compete for years, went to the 2021 Cup final, and tanked for 3 years. Interestingly enough, that nothing special prospect pool they've accumulated somehow gets ranked top-10 by most writers. The Canadiens are also one of the youngest teams in the league (meaning a fair number of graduated prospects).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad