Proposal: MTL & CLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
It's seems fair because you see Dvorak and Armia as cap dumps. They are not. If they had two years left on their respective contract, it would be another thing. These two will get good opportunities to bounce back and get trade at the trade deadline for something.

And Habs don't need to include salary in a trade for Laine.
Ok

Reactions: Benstheman

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I read picks and prospects too but I don't think it's 100% tied to only that type of return. They will take the best deal. Established player or futures.

If it's an established player, it's probably someone like we picked up...Newhook or Dach. RFA player still under team control.

If it's futures, It's either a 1st and 2nd/B level prospect or a Grade A and 2nd/B level prospect. Something like that.

I don't think it will be as low as some fans think it might be. The biggest challenge is Laine's cap hit.
There wont be ANY trade involving Dach and Newhook. If rumours are true, Hughes told Chavy to eff off when he wanted Dach for Dubois.

Hughes wants to make a trade for a youngster but under ZERO pressure as a need. The Demidov pick gave him even greater cover to do nothing.

EDIT...why are some ignoring what's in front of them with Hughes? Hughes history is that he make a decision, then stick to it until the other guy blinks. He did it with Dubois and he's doing it for all the rumored trades. NOT ONE has happened despite all the fan and talking head noise.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine's 2 year term at $8.7M is something the Habs can easily fit in because we have $16M-$19M in cap and it might go unused. After those 2 years is when the Habs might have to give raises to Dach, Guhle, Newhook, Demidov, Roy, Reinbacher, etc.

I know the Habs are in talks with the Jackets. What we don't know is the trade value price and how deep Hughes want to go.

I do think Laine fits what the Habs are after and I think he scores 40+ with Suzuki and MSL as his coach. I think MSL can help Laine a lot with where to put his focus.

I think a trade will get done. Not sure what the trade value will be (futures or established player) but I think there are 3-5 teams who will make their offers and there will be something for the Jackets to accept.
The Blue Jackets will only accept what is profitable for them. Whether the fans and GMs of other teams like it or not.

Reactions: Miller Time

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
There wont be ANY trade involving Dach and Newhook. If rumours are true, Hughes told Chavy to eff off when he wanted Dach for Dubois.

Hughes wants to make a trade for a youngster but under ZERO pressure as a need. The Demidov pick gave him even greater cover to do nothing.

EDIT...why are some ignoring what's in front of them with Hughes? Hughes history is that he make a decision, then stick to it until the other guy blinks. He did it with Dubois and he's doing it for all the rumored trades. NOT ONE has happened despite all the fan and talking head noise.
Don't worry. The last thing Columbus needs is Dach. Btw, you are not a good partner. A conference opponent with certainly not good offer. I hope Patrik will never play for you.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The Blue Jackets will only accept what is profitable for them. Whether the fans and GMs of other teams like it or not.
I think you mean equitable. While all fan bases want to "win" trades, the reality is GMs do their best work trying to manage value on both sides. What they see as value is much different than what we (the fans) see as value. So many moving parts we are not privy to.

Anyway, GMDW is looking for something that works for CBJ and, by that nature, would work for the other GM he's dealing with.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nope. No strawman. Straight reply to Post #320.
In my defense, I described it as such because...
Your right, my bad... Should've said "most" not "every".

Like you, I occasionally use the wrong word & have no problem clarifying.
i.e. it was a misrepresentation, which is technically what a strawman is. But at this point insisting on the language would be nitpicking, so, fair.
Bottom line. Laine @8.7M is a risky proposition for most teams.

Sadly for CBJ fans, the Jackets are almost in the perfect situation to take that risk and reap the potential reward... But the player has publicly stated he doesn't want to play there.

Imo the best case is that Evanson & the Jackets vets are able to convince him to change his mind. If he has addressed his issues and is focused on getting his career back on track (to become an elite player), the reward could be huge...

If he's traded, I doubt he will return what you and some other CBJ posters in this thread seem to believe the market will pony up.

We'll see. I've been wrong before.
We're aware; I think in your case you're just potentially overestimating the impact that has when coming up with evaluations. Or, possibly, you have a mistaken impression of what our expectations are. It could be we're actually on the same page but don't realize it.
Considering precedent is a cliche now, eh? That's rich :lol:
The only time that is ever mentioned is when folks have decided they don't like what they're hearing from a GM (maybe because it conflicts with their fantasies) and so they use it as a blunt instrument to remove all credibility from otherwise authoritative information sources. That's what a thought-terminating cliche is. It's of the same variety of statement as "if Gretzky can be traded, anyone can be traded" used to justify stuff like "therefore, give us Suzuki for a 2nd, because you're not allowed to say he's untouchable".

• Wow

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Don't worry. The last thing Columbus needs is Dach. Btw, you are not a good partner. A conference opponent with certainly not good offer. I hope Patrik will never play for you.
Never play for us? That almost made me cry.

Don't respond like a 14 year old. Better yet, let's call it a day on our discussions.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You didn't comprehend that post well. I said Like Dach or Newhook. I didn't say we will trade Dach or Newhook

I repeat. The return the Jackets are after could be picks/prospects or an established player like Dach or Newhook.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If someone said you aren't comprehending something, you'd pull out the whole "let's not insult each other..." argument.

Don't agree. If you are twisting the post and/or don't understand, how else would you reply to that? This is getting carried out of hand now.

People are allowed to make mistakes and not comprehending a post happens. If someone told me that, I'd take time to go back and reread. I personally would not take that as an insult. The issue I have is some posters calling other teams assets trash, garbage, etc. I think calling someone's offer stupid vs saying someone didn't comprehend the post well are two completely different things. But You're just another poster who is trying to play that stupid got cha game. Waste of time

Last edited:

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Beck is not going for Laine. It's exactly the type of future you don't risk for a gamble like Laine.
Exactly. We do t have great center depth moving forward. Beck is one of two C prospects we have that will make the Show. Memorial Cup MVp and a winner. As much as we can use someone like Laine assuming he’s healthy, Hugo have proven they won’t mortgage the future for temporary relief.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Never play for us? That almost made me cry.

Don't respond like a 14 year old. Better yet, let's call it a day on our discussions.
I don't care what you think. It's disadvantageous for Columbus so that he plays in Montreal. This is the end of the discussion for me , you can continue with your offers, which are ridiculous even for rabbits (honorable exceptions).

• Haha

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
The trouble for CBJ is what’s « profitable »? In a trade, obviously they want as good a return as possible without retention. But with how much time Laine has missed, getting paid over 8 million and not getting a return on investment isn’t profitable either. As a result I don’t think CBJ will get as much as they would hope as they are possibly looking to cut losses more than anything. The fact that Laine has asked for a trade adds to this

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You didn't comprehend that post well. I said Like Dach or Newhook. I didn't say we will trade Dach or Newhook

I repeat. The return the Jackets are after could be picks/prospects or an established player like Dach or Newhook.
Hell will freeze over then because it will never happen....

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
We are talking about overeating player values. Maybe it's the language barrier. You said laine is worth next to nothing while not admitting the same for matheson.

On brand for main board mtl fans
Sorry the bolded part made me laugh.

As for overrating player values. I think it's pretty obvious that Laine's value has taken a big hit, due to his circumstances. I wouldn't say he's worth next to nothing. I will say I don't believe he's worth anywhere near what his contract value is. Personally if I'm CLB, I keep him. Let him work on regaining some of his value. Unless management feels his being on the team, will have a negative effect.

In the case of Matheson, he plays a vital role for the Habs. So why wouldn't our fan base expect an overpayment.

Reactions: HabsAddict

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I like the chances of Fowler being the future starter for us and have never been a fan of the person Laine nor what he does on the ice outside of scoring, so I'd pass.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Your second line is Newhook - Dach - Anderson/Gallagher. Your GM is under pressure to improve it. That goes for the 2025/26 season as well, because while Demidov is talented, I doubt he'll be able to radically improve that lineup that quickly. And Waddell can wait. Unless a good offer comes in, Laine and his agent know Patrik will start in Columbus.
I think Roy will take that spot.
All he has done the last 3 years is to prove detractors wrong

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
i would like to read a reliable scouting report of bogdan konyuskov

@StevenToddIves @Guadana @evnted : any of you have an opinion on him?
Yes. Bogdan Konyushov is a terrific young defender, one of the better defensemen I've seen in the KHL this year.

I think the only aspect which kept him under the draft radar several seasons in a row was the fact that his size/speed combination is below what NHL executives tend to prefer. I'd say Konyushov is about 5'11-175 or thereabouts, and though he's a pretty good skater I wouldn't rank him as a plus skater, per se.

But everything else about him is extremely impressive. Konyushov is a very heady defenseman with high-end passing acumen and startlingly good hockey instincts. He reads the play quickly and processes quickly. He's confident in his hockey sense which gives him a sense of calm and savvy with the puck. Konyushov is also fiercely competitive and quite physical, the kid is a battler and a leader on the ice.

Konyushov is good in all three zones. Defensively he's sound, without being quite the shut-down guy. His anticipation is his finest asset, as he is an ace at picking off opposing passes by using his positioning to bait the opposition into attempting plays where he is ready and waiting to pounce. He can be beat by bigger, faster forwards at times, but it's certainly not for lack of effort or game-processing.

Konyushov is excellent in transition. He's better with the breakout passing game than with leading the rush himself, and he's always a threat to lace a seeing-eye stretch pass. But he's also pretty adept at the rush. In the offensive zone he possesses that unique ability to get pucks to the net despite lacking a high-power shot. Again, his mind and his high-end passing are his calling cards in the offensive zone. He's not a flashy dangler but he's certainly capable of beating a guy one-on-one there and again. He excels at keeping pucks in the zone and is never quick to bail off the blueline out of panic.

Overall, I'd rank Konyushov as Montreal's #3 defense prospect after Reinbacher and Hutson and ahead of Engstrom and Mailloux. In a best case scenario I'd say Bogdan Konyushov would be a very good, all-situations, two-way second-pairing guy at the NHL level capable of some good-but-not-high-end scoring totals and above-average defense.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Don't agree. If you are twisting the post and/or don't understand, how else would you reply to that? This is getting carried out of hand now.

People are allowed to make mistakes and not comprehending a post happens. If someone told me that, I'd take time to go back and reread. I personally would not take that as an insult. The issue I have is some posters calling other teams assets trash, garbage, etc. I think calling someone's offer stupid vs saying someone didn't comprehend the post well are two completely different things. But You're just another poster who is trying to play that stupid got cha game. Waste of time
You really go through weird phases with weird phrases. Why do you keep on putting "got cha" in every post? It's every week you pick up a new one to repeat.

You make bad offers that don't ever consider the other side, then when it's called out, you get upset and go on a tangent about it. You also "guarantee" that your opinion is right. Maybe take a step back, consider the other side, and make a reasonable proposal for once.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Yes. Bogdan Konyushov is a terrific young defender, one of the better defensemen I've seen in the KHL this year.

I think the only aspect which kept him under the draft radar several seasons in a row was the fact that his size/speed combination is below what NHL executives tend to prefer. I'd say Konyushov is about 5'11-175 or thereabouts, and though he's a pretty good skater I wouldn't rank him as a plus skater, per se.

But everything else about him is extremely impressive. Konyushov is a very heady defenseman with high-end passing acumen and startlingly good hockey instincts. He reads the play quickly and processes quickly. He's confident in his hockey sense which gives him a sense of calm and savvy with the puck. Konyushov is also fiercely competitive and quite physical, the kid is a battler and a leader on the ice.

Konyushov is good in all three zones. Defensively he's sound, without being quite the shut-down guy. His anticipation is his finest asset, as he is an ace at picking off opposing passes by using his positioning to bait the opposition into attempting plays where he is ready and waiting to pounce. He can be beat by bigger, faster forwards at times, but it's certainly not for lack of effort or game-processing.

Konyushov is excellent in transition. He's better with the breakout passing game than with leading the rush himself, and he's always a threat to lace a seeing-eye stretch pass. But he's also pretty adept at the rush. In the offensive zone he possesses that unique ability to get pucks to the net despite lacking a high-power shot. Again, his mind and his high-end passing are his calling cards in the offensive zone. He's not a flashy dangler but he's certainly capable of beating a guy one-on-one there and again. He excels at keeping pucks in the zone and is never quick to bail off the blueline out of panic.

Overall, I'd rank Konyushov as Montreal's #3 defense prospect after Reinbacher and Hutson and ahead of Engstrom and Mailloux. In a best case scenario I'd say Bogdan Konyushov would be a very good, all-situations, two-way second-pairing guy at the NHL level capable of some good-but-not-high-end scoring totals and above-average defense.
Thanks for your input, really well written.
He's also the Captain of Nizhny Novgorod Torpedo at 21 years old, you rarely see this in the KHL that alone means a lot.
My problem is the fact that he might not want to come in America unless he's got a official spot on the team, even for a training camp.
Also unless Savard and Barron get's traded i don't see this happening anytime soon.
But Reinbacher, Bodgan and Mailloux 1-2-3 RHD in 2025-2026 would seem legit for the long run.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Allright take #2

MTL : Filip Mesar + Sean Farrell (#10 best Habs prospect) + 2nd 2025 (around #37-#45)
for
CLB : Laine no retention

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for your input, really well written.
He's also the Captain of Nizhny Novgorod Torpedo at 21 years old, you rarely see this in the KHL that alone means a lot.
My problem is the fact that he might not want to come in America unless he's got a official spot on the team, even for a training camp.
Also unless Savard and Barron get's traded i don't see this happening anytime soon.
But Reinbacher, Bodgan and Mailloux 1-2-3 RHD in 2025-2026 would seem legit for the long run.
Feel free to follow the draft pages on the HFDevils boards. We have some really talented prospect/draft writers and we welcome fans of all teams. Personally, I try to stay familiarized with all 32 prospect pools and am happy to discuss any prospect. I just usually stick to my local boards to avoid some of the vitriol one can find on the greater HF website.

If you're a Montreal fan -- well, I'm incredibly excited about the young talent core coming around for the Canadiens. In my mind, the addition of Demidov certainly puts the prospects in the top 2 of the entire league. I've also written a lot about Michael Hage, who finished #10 overall in my final 2024 draft rankings. There's really a bright future for the Habs.

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
Allright take #2

MTL : Filip Mesar + Sean Farrell (#10 best Habs prospect) + 2nd 2025 (around #37-#45)
for
CLB : Laine no retention
At first blush I didn't think this was bad value, and it just might be approproate for a no retention Laine, idk how to value him... But I don't see many from CBJ boards liking the idea of two undersized forwards being the return. Also, Mesar was ranked #12 in the Mtl board's prospect rankings and Farrell #17, so I don't think presenting him as the #10 best Habs prospect is very genuine (yes, I know its a deep pool). Seems like two guys Mtl fans themselves don't see as being NHLers for them to begin with, spare parts. So I'd pass, and look for prospects fitting our needs moreso, if it was a trade-for-picks-and-prospects route.

Laine himself isn't valueless, 8.7 per is the limiting value. I don't see why we wouldn't retain down to a number like 5/6 million to create value. Laine at 5 or 6 million is something that has lots more value and opens up the market to new teams who could afford the 5 million cap hit, or trade smaller salary to fit it. Finding 8.7 million in space is impossible, but 5 is easier. I'd prefer to do that than take a trade of a lot of smaller assets, which might be all Laine at 8.7 gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad