Proposal: Mtl - Cbj

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

max3511

Jul 23, 2014
:cbj
Alexei Emelin
4,100,000 /2year

:habs
Scott Hartnell
4,750,000 /3year

Hartnell have slowed and will continue to but still can do the work of 2nd LW for montreal and eventually move to 3rd line.

Colombus get cap space and improve their D. Colombus have players who can replace Hartnell.

Thoughts?

max3511

Jul 23, 2014
Columbus probably decline

Emelin would be on their 3rd pair and 4.1M is a lot to be in that position.

Yes but Emelin can step up in case of injury. Is cheaper, younger and for only 2 year.

Hartnell can play 2nd line but should play 3rd line. He's older and have a longer contract.

max3511

Jul 23, 2014
DD for hartnell is much more likelier IMO

Why colombus would want DD? They already have plenty of young center with talent. It's not like DD could fill a #1c spot again for a year. IMO

I'm curious to have your thoughts on why they would prefer DD over Emelin?

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Why colombus would want DD? They already have plenty of young center with talent. It's not like DD could fill a #1c spot again for a year. IMO

I'm curious to have your thoughts on why they would prefer DD over Emelin?

Cap issues a year from now. DD would be off the books next summer.

That said, I'm not sure Hartnell would accept a trade to Montreal.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Cap issues a year from now. DD would be off the books next summer.

That said, I'm not sure Hartnell would accept a trade to Montreal.

Depends on if he's being actively shopped by management or at his request. If it's the latter than I doubt he's picky.

max3511

Jul 23, 2014
Depends on if he's being actively shopped by management or at his request. If it's the latter than I doubt he's picky.

Last trade dead line there were rumor he was shopped so i guess he's not that much against the idea.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
Remove the contracts cause they are quite similar. (I understand one is a year less which does have some impact)

Lets compare the players:

Emelin (31 year old defenseman)
2015-16 : 72 games - 0 goals - 12 assists
Based on TOI, I would say 2nd pair defenseman with limited upside due to age

Hartnell (34 year old winger)
2015-16 : 79 games - 23 goals - 26 assists
Produces like a 2nd line winger (borderline 1st line) also with limited upside, but goal numbers for last 4 full seasons (37, 20, 28, 23) show he is still a high producer.

If Hartnell even produces for one more season this is a huge win for Montreal as his trade value skyrockets as the number of years remaining on contract going down. Emelin has little to no value to Columbus as he is too old for the core and would only keep younger players out of the lineup without adding much in terms of quality play.

Strong decline for CBJ - offer something other than your throw-aways for Hartnell and you could get some traction.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
"improve their D"? You're not serious, right? Emelin would drag our blueline down. Numbers-wise he's like an older Jack Johnson, except Emelin's numbers make JJ's look pretty respectable (and that's with JJ playing top blueline minutes we all know he can't realistically handle, while Emelin's been behind Markov and Subban and assisted by Petry). Eyetest wise, I'd rather have Tyutin and we just bought him out.

No Emelin. Ever. Under any circumstances short of David Clarkson joining the Canadiens. Period.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
I've heard that Kekalainen is mad at Bergevin for not trading Eller to him, so he doesn't answer his calls anymore.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I cant imagine why CBJ would give up a 50 point winger for a 3rd pairing D with a similar cap hit.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd be open to trade Hartnell for Desharnais + something small.

Not interested in Emelin.
I used to be in favor of that idea, but at this point I'm more interested in keeping Hartnell as a mentor for the kids. Made a lot more sense when the cap space situation was a bit more touchy and we were trying to avoid doing multiple buyouts, but that's been done.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Alexei Emelin
4,100,000 /2year

Scott Hartnell
4,750,000 /3year

Hartnell have slowed and will continue to but still can do the work of 2nd LW for montreal and eventually move to 3rd line.

Colombus get cap space and improve their D. Colombus have players who can replace Hartnell.

Thoughts?

No thank you. Hartnell is a very valuable player in Columbus. He is a top 6 forward with a great deal of playoff experience. He knows what it takes to win. He is like a coach on the ice for the kids.

He is exactly what the Habs need as well.It's a shame Bergevin didn't find a way to get him when Columbus needed cap relief.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Alexei Emelin
4,100,000 /2year

Scott Hartnell
4,750,000 /3year

Thoughts?

Absolutely no interest in Emelin and Hartnell has not slowed down.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Hartnell:
- He likes cats (and everybody knows that cats are evil)
- He's a GINGER!!!

Emelin:
- Butt of steel
- Can sing.

Mtl declines.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
columbus doesnt move a 2nd line winger with grit for a bottom pairing dman. montreal needs to sweeten the pot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad