Claimed off Waivers: [MTL] Canadiens claim F Chris Tierney off waivers from the Panthers

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Cheap expiring contract, perfect pickup for a team down many player (and many centers as well)

It just means one less contract slot is available for college UFAs...

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
How is that cost determined?
It is based on years experience in the League
The more experience, the less expensive

You can sort of think of it as compensation for developing the player, so if it's a younger, less experienced player they, in theory, still have some potential, so the cost is more. An older vet player, more like Tierney, well, you sort of know what that kind of player is like already when they go on waivers, so the cost is less. That's the best way to frame it, imo

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Why? Juist call up guys form the ECHL.....they are trying to be bad no???
In the last game the Laval Rocket played, the C's were Mitchell Stephens (NHL contract), Peter Abbandonato (AHL contract), Brandon Gignac (AHL contract) and Jan Mysak (NHL contract, just came back from lengthy injury). Stephens is really the only real option and they clearly want the AHL team to make the playoffs, so taking him away from the Rocket would be a big blow.

There is nothing left in the ECHL.

This is just to add another body who can play C in the NHL, especially since Dach is out for who knows how long.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
It is based on years experience in the League
The more experience, the less expensive

You can sort of think of it as compensation for developing the player, so if it's a younger, less experienced player they, in theory, still have some potential, so the cost is more. An older vet player, more like Tierney, well, you sort of know what that kind of player is like already when they go on waivers, so the cost is less. That's the best way to frame it, imo
Thank you. I always see you post the fee but don’t know what that cost was based on. Is there a specific formula?

Reactions: uncleben

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I always kind of liked Tierney. Hope he gets a stretch of NHL games here now.

Players like him have value as NHL experienced depth that can usually be stashed in the AHL.

Reactions: Rockinron

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Thank you. I always see you post the fee but don’t know what that cost was based on. Is there a specific formula?
The actual dollar numbers and how they scale, I'm truthfully not entirely sure, but the number drops for each year of experience and for the first 5 years of a player's career, it follows a different scale for skaters vs goaltenders.
6 or more years of experience, the scale doesn't differentiate between skaters or goaltenders

What is slightly more surprising to me is that the CBA contains no mention of these numbers shifting as the Cap or League Revenue shifts. They seem to be locked in (versus something like league minimum, buried cap hits, ELC maxes, etc. that slide with the cap), so in theory, a waiver claim nowadays costs less than in the past, as the teams become more profitable, and the player contract values increase

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00