Proposal: Mtl / Cal

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Mtl: Dillon Dube
Cal: Mike Hoffman, 2023 3rd
A little cap saving for Mtl so they add a draft pick or a B prospect. Calgary adds in my view a better scorer
Sure. Calgary always trades an up and coming 24 year old for a 33 year old (in Nov.) and a 3td round pick that may or may not play in the NHL five years from now.

Dube's value will go up after playing another season under Sutter's tutelage and he has two years left at 2.3M cap hit.

Hoffman costs 4.5M so add a 1st or a 2nd if you want Dube.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Sure. Calgary always trades an up and coming 24 year old for a 33 year old (in Nov.) and a 3td round pick that may or may not play in the NHL five years from now.

Dube's value will go up after playing another season under Sutter's tutelage and he has two years left at 2.3M cap hit.

Hoffman costs 4.5M so add a 1st or a 2nd if you want Dube.
Nobody, and i mean nobody wants Dube. The OP just wanted to dump cap on Calgary in return for Dube. But make no mistake, no one "wants" Dube. lol

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Nobody, and i mean nobody wants Dube. The OP just wanted to dump cap on Calgary in return for Dube. But make no mistake, no one "wants" Dube. lol

Roster wise, I'd want him more than Hoffman right now.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Whelp, not that we're trying to peddle the speedster, but he did record 32 points in his third full season while only playing 12:50 a game.

He has shown progression every year. First full year 16 points, second year 22 points, third 32 points.

He is versatile and plays all three forward positions. He hits (87 in 79 games). He plays a 200 ft game and has a good possession game (55.4% even strength last season).

He may be very well be the next Andrew Mangiapane.

Nobody wants him? Good. We'll keep him.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Whelp, not that we're trying to peddle the speedster, but he did record 32 points in his third full season while only playing 12:50 a game.

He has shown progression every year. First full year 16 points, second year 22 points, third 32 points.

He is versatile and plays all three forward positions. He hits (87 in 79 games). He plays a 200 ft game and has a good possession game (55.4% even strength last season).

He may be very well be the next Andrew Mangiapane.

Nobody wants him? Good. We'll keep him.
Yup, you will keep him because no one will take him for free. Same goes for Hoffman. Habs are going to have to see that contract through and quite frankly, that's not a bad thing during this tank / rebuild.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I think if the beloved "Future Considerations" went to Montreal instead of Dube... that might be a fair trade.

Dube has serious value (even with the HC scandal).
Hoffman has slightly negative value and needs an asset attached.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Neither fan base wants to choose one. They want to get rid of both players.

That's not really what anyone was saying... so you're just going off on some odd ranting tangent.

And the fact you have Oiler fans in here saying that Dube has value... hard to say that there's agreement with your comment.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That's not really what anyone was saying... so you're just going off on some odd ranting tangent.

And the fact you have Oiler fans in here saying that Dube has value... hard to say that there's agreement with your comment.
Dube has zero value. If he had any value he would have already been traded. HF fans need to get their heads out of their asses and look past their own bias. Players like Dube have zero value this offseason due to a lack of capspace coupled with the tax that teams are levying to take on cap.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Dube has zero value. If he had any value he would have already been traded. HF fans need to get their heads out of their asses and look past their own bias. Players like Dube have zero value this offseason due to a lack of capspace coupled with the tax that teams are levying to take on cap.
I never openly disagreed with your notion that the players effectively have no value because that wasn't the point nor was it what I was saying/responding to.

Are you seriously being obtuse in the fact that if you HAD to have one of those players on your team, you'd rather have the one with the lower cap hit (especially with how weaponized cap has been this offseason)? That's literally what I have been saying. Or do you need me to spell it out for you? I didn't think it was that hard to understand.

Based on OP: IF both players are worth nothing, I prefer to keep Dube because the team has extra cap to utilize/weaponize.

According to you: IF both players are not wanted on anyone's roster (but they are going to have to be be on someone's roster)... I'd still rather Dube over Hoffman on my roster because of play style AND cap reasons.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I never openly disagreed with your notion that the players effectively have no value because that wasn't the point nor was it what I was saying/responding to.

Are you seriously being obtuse in the fact that if you HAD to have one of those players on your team, you'd rather have the one with the lower cap hit (especially with how weaponized cap has been this offseason)? That's literally what I have been saying. Or do you need me to spell it out for you? I didn't think it was that hard to understand.

Based on OP: IF both players are worth nothing, I prefer to keep Dube because the team has extra cap to utilize/weaponize.

According to you: IF both players are not wanted on anyone's roster (but they are going to have to be be on someone's roster)... I'd still rather Dube over Hoffman on my roster because of play style AND cap reasons.
No one's being obtuse. Whoever has the cheaper caphit is less of a steaming pile of poo. But regardless, both players are undesireable and untradeable.

I don't see the point in wanting one over the other when neither will be traded for each other or for anyone else. Cap is king in this environment. Dube and Hoffman's cap is far more valuable than the individual players.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
No one's being obtuse. Whoever has the cheaper caphit is less of a steaming pile of poo. But regardless, both players are undesireable and untradeable.

I don't see the point in wanting one over the other when neither will be traded for each other or for anyone else. Cap is king in this environment. Dube and Hoffman's cap is far more valuable than the individual players.

Based on the bolded, I feel like you agree with most of us... but rather than continuing to hash this out with different words, let's just agree to disagree.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Habs have a lot of bad contracts.
You will have a difficult time finding a Habs fan who disagrees with this. Unfortunately, some fans are more impatient to get rid of all those contracts quickly, even in the tightest salary cap environment we've ever experienced.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You will have a difficult time finding a Habs fan who disagrees with this. Unfortunately, some fans are more impatient to get rid of all those contracts quickly, even in the tightest salary cap environment we've ever experienced.
This Habs fan is content with riding out the deadweight contracts. There isn no other option.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
The last sentence in my post litterally covers that times have changed.
You stated you know cap space is tight, that does not cover that times have changed or that the economics of the entire league have been impacted. Besides if you wanted your post to show you understood this you wouldn’t have used a 5 year old trade and buy out as your evidence.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That's just complete bullshit. I'd love to have Dube on my team(disregsrding Team Canada stuff for now at least) and I'm quite sure lots of other teams would be happy to have a 23 year promising young player on the team as well.

Nobody wants Hoffman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad