Proposal: MTL 5OA to WSH for Ryan Leonard

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I like this player a lot. I think he is going to be a beast. Purely hypothetical here but would MTL 5th OA ++ be enough to entice WSH to trade Ryan Leonard?

Lots of good prospects in this year's draft and WSH could use some extra assets. TJ Iginla maybe the closest comparable to Leonard if WSH still wanted to draft a similar player. May even turn out to be the better player of the two when all is said and done who knows.

Flexible here but extra assets could be a combination of: Harris, Jets 1st, Struble, Mesar....so something like MTL 5OA + Harris + Jets 1st FOR Leonard?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I will echo the but why? Dude was drafted 8th last year why would the Habs give up the 5th overall pick plus more assets for him when they could just draft someone similar...makes no sense.

They stupidity of giving up a 5th and 25th and a young dman...

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
But why???
For WSH I assume? I'm looking at it from a quantity over quality perspective. MTL doesn't have any high end prospects or players to trade, but with the #5 pick as the foundation I feel there COULD be something to work out here.

You replace Leonard with whoever they'd take at #5 (ex iginla), plus get additional assets for their roster, to stock the cupboards and/or use as trade bait.

I will echo the but why? Dude was drafted 8th last year why would the Habs give up the 5th overall pick plus more assets for him when they could just draft someone similar...makes no sense.

They stupidity of giving up a 5th and 25th and a young dman...
Doesn't have to be 5th + 25th + young D. Just threw all that together to gauge the overall value here.

The big piece is the 5th OA. Leonard is a year older and already had a killer year at BC this past season. He's more ready to make the jump than iginla would be. And he's also a righty and Habs might like his game more than any 2024 draftees.

Habs interviewed him last year and liked him a lot from what I read.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
For WSH I assume? I'm looking at it from a quantity over quality perspective. MTL doesn't have any high end prospects or players to trade, but with the #5 pick as the foundation I feel there COULD be something to work out here.

You replace Leonard with whoever they'd take at #5 (ex iginla), plus get additional assets for their roster, to stock the cupboards and/or use as trade bait.
For both team. WSH will not trade him and MTL will not give that for him. Both team keep their asset.

Reactions: viceroy and Qwijibo

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That's not flexible. That's basically just tossing out pieces you're comfortable with losing to get Leonard. Washington says no. I also think Montreal should just take #5 and draft another 1st rounder instead of trying to make this happen.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
That's not flexible. That's basically just tossing out pieces you're comfortable with losing to get Leonard. Washington says no.
Harris, Barron, Jets 1st, Mesar, Struble, (and other similar value prospects)....how is that not flexible?

The main and biggest piece here is the #5OA. The rest is bonus

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Harris, Barron, Jets 1st, Mesar, Struble, (and other similar value prospects)....how is that not flexible?

The main and biggest piece here is the #5OA. The rest is bonus
This quantity for quality stuff is reaching Ryder + Halak + 2nd levels. Leonard is super promising, one of the better prospects in the world. They won't trade him for bunch of other unknowns, who have performed worse I might add and a new lottery box that could be worse than Leonard is.

Reactions: MisterT

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just draft Berkly Catton and call it a day

Nah... we going going to draft Iginla. Took guts to draft Slav over Wright and Reinbacher over Michkov. I like Iggy a lot. I've been trying to nit pick his flaws and just can't find any. Hottest trending player after Celebrini and one of the youngest in this draft. Already at 185 lbs and probably tops out around 6'-1 and 200 lbs. Already has a NHL shot and makes players around him better.

Call me crazy but I would seriously consider Iggy over Demidov (if he slips). Bob is usually right... it's all over the place after Celebrini.

The job here with scouting is to pick the player who has the best D+1 and D+2. That to me is Tij.

Nah, I pass on Leonard. This draft is deeper

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
So he is drafted 8th and has 1 good year in the NCAA and now he is worth 5th OA and a second 1st rounder + a young dman?

yea no thanks. Habs can just draft one of the forwards available at 5th and keep the other assets.
I could be overvaluing him but i just love his game so much man

Ask yourself, would you trade Reinbacher, who has done worse a prospect than Leonard, for that package? If the answer is no, then.. there you go.
Reinbacher is not a good comparison. One is a RD with pro experience, the other is a RW playing college

Reactions: alasania94

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Nah... we going going to draft Iginla. Took guts to draft Slav over Wright and Reinbacher over Michkov. I like Iggy a lot. I've been trying to nit pick his flaws and just can't find any. Hottest trending player after Celebrini and one of the youngest in this draft. Already at 185 lbs and probably tops out around 6'-1 and 200 lbs. Already has a NHL shot and makes players around him better.

Call me crazy but I would seriously consider Iggy over Demidov (if he slips). Bob is usually right... it's all over the place after Celebrini.

The job here with scouting is to pick the player who has the best D+1 and D+2. That to me is Tij.

Nah, I pass on Leonard. This draft is deeper
I never got my dream of having my all time fav player on my all time fav team....

Getting his son is the next best thing. I almost dont care who else is available at #5, if Iggy is there I would take him.....

Reactions: HabzSauce

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I like this player a lot. I think he is going to be a beast. Purely hypothetical here but would MTL 5th OA ++ be enough to entice WSH to trade Ryan Leonard?

Lots of good prospects in this year's draft and WSH could use some extra assets. TJ Iginla maybe the closest comparable to Leonard if WSH still wanted to draft a similar player. May even turn out to be the better player of the two when all is said and done who knows.

Flexible here but extra assets could be a combination of: Harris, Jets 1st, Struble, Mesar....so something like MTL 5OA + Harris + Jets 1st FOR Leonard?
I think Montreal would but doubt Caps would. Unless stud D there at 5 they like.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
That's not flexible. That's basically just tossing out pieces you're comfortable with losing to get Leonard. Washington says no. I also think Montreal should just take #5 and draft another 1st rounder instead of trying to make this happen.
Nevermind the trade offer… No one is comfortable losing the 5th overall pick.
This quantity for quality stuff is reaching Ryder + Halak + 2nd levels. Leonard is super promising, one of the better prospects in the world. They won't trade him for bunch of other unknowns, who have performed worse I might add and a new lottery box that could be worse than Leonard is.
Since when is 5OA quantity?

Reactions: viceroy and jfhabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad