MrB1P's top 50 affiliated prospects. 5th edition.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Welcome buddies.

I ranked the 50 best under-23 (Non-inclusive.), under 25 games affiliated prospects for another year.

As usual, I do no goaltenders because it is just too much work to analyze goaltenders, especially because they play a lot, there's a lot of them and they're often hidden in random leagues. I'd be happy to provide a list for anyone who cares but yeah, thats it.

Here's a post I made in 2019 that still describes my views on prospects:
Mostly a complete offense and a willingness to be the man on the offense. I'm also a fan of physicality and aggressiveness in a player. NHL readiness isn't really something I value too highly, but it is certainly a factor in this ranking as the first five should all be in the NHL this year. Another thing I value highly is intelligence. If a player showcases a good level of on-ice IQ, he's most likely a favorite of mine. I tend to overlook defensive problems as these usually are either overblown or they sort themselves out.

What could bring a player down ?
Perimeter play. This is the biggest culprit.
Lack of a shot.
Lack of speed, or a tendency to float.

This is my list, and my list only, it has not been influenced by any other media list around, which is why it might look a bit different than most.

NameTeamDraft2022 Rank
Connor BedardChicago2023ND
Matvei MichkovPhiladelphia2023ND
Adam FantilliColumbus2023ND
Leo CarlssonAnaheim2023ND
David JiricekColumbus20225
Simon NemecNew Jersey20224
Logan CooleyArizona202210
David ReinbacherMontréal2023ND
Zach BensonBuffalo2023ND
Pavel MintyukovAnaheim202321
Matthew WoodNashville2023ND
Will SmithSan Jose2023ND
Simon EdvinssonDetroit20229
Cutter GauthierPhiladelphia2022NR
Luke HughesNew Jersey202214
Jiri KulichBuffalo2022NR
Ryan LeonardWashington2023ND
Matthew SavoieBuffalo202223
Jagger FirkusSeattle202223
Joakim KemmelNashville202230
Brandt ClarkeLos Angeles202125
Alexander NikishinCarolina2020NR
Marco KasperDetroit2022HM
Andrew CristallWashington2023ND
Dalibor DvorskySt. Louis2023ND
Frank Nazar IIIChicago20229
Braden YagerPittsburgh2023ND
Colby BarlowWinnipeg2023ND
Shane WrightSeattle20222
Jonathan LekkerimakiVancouver202222
Nate DanielsonDetroit2023ND
Lane HutsonMontreal2022NR
William EklundSan Jose202136
Denton MateychukColumbus 202231
Luke EvangelistaNasville202032
Mavrik BourqueDallas202026
Logan StankovenDallas2021HM
Olen ZellweggerAnaheim2021NR
Matthew KniesToronto2021NR
Aatu RatyVancouver202150
Quentin MustySan Jose2023ND
Brad LambertWinnipeg2022HM
Joshua RoyMontreal202145
Tristan LuneauAnaheim2022NR
Ivan MiroshnichenkoWashington2022
Pavel DorofeyevVegas201939
Mackie SamokevichFlorida2021NR
William WallinderDetroit2020NR
Kevin KorchinskiChicago2022NR
Gleb TrikozovCarolina202247

Previous lists: I skipped 2021 for... REASONS.
MrB1Ps top 50 drafted prospects
MrB1Ps annual affiliated prospect list 2020 Covid edition
https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/mrb1ps-top-50-affiliated-prospects-edition-2019-2020.2669037/
MrB1P's top 50 NHL affiliated prospects

Last edited:

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Kudos for putting yourself out there, I respect it but you're gonna get roasted with Will Smith being so low LOL. I think it's a solid list overall.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
What’s the knock on Nikishin? Kid seems to have it all to be a franchise D in the NHL. Size, Shot, Skating, good puck distributor, and wanting to be the guy. I don’t have him different than Jiricek/Nemec tier. I’d bet that will be a big blunder on the list in a couple of years.

Also curious on your Will Smith take. What do you see in guys like Wood and Benson to be above Smith.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustave

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kudos for putting yourself out there, I respect it but you're gonna get roasted with Will Smith being so low LOL. I think it's a solid list overall.
Is he really that low? Maybe 2-3 spots too low but not absurd amount.

Not really too much to argue/disagree with… seems like close enough realistic takes. Tho based on why he’d bring a player down, I’d imagine zellweger would be higher up.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal

Not really too much to argue/disagree with… seems like close enough realistic takes. Tho based on why he’d bring a player down, I’d imagine zellweger would be higher up.
Personally I don't think he's that low but placing Benson and Wood ahead of him might trigger some people on here. I'm fine with the list tbh.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Personally I don't think he's that low but placing Benson and Wood ahead of him might trigger some people on here. I'm fine with the list tbh.

I’d personally have him ahead of benson and wood… benson is prob pretty damn close to him tho.

Wood prob not as close

Reactions: Favster

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Disagree with quite a few rankings, but appreciate you taking the time to put out this list.

:cheers:

Reactions: wetcoast

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Thanks, OP. Good list. Far too easy to criticize, of course, but ...

Luke Hughes is probably too low, especially when you ignore defensive flaws.

Reactions: wetcoast

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Welcome buddies.

I ranked the 50 best under-23 (Non-inclusive.), under 25 games affiliated prospects for another year.

As usual, I do no goaltenders because it is just too much work to analyze goaltenders, especially because they play a lot, there's a lot of them and they're often hidden in random leagues. I'd be happy to provide a list for anyone who cares but yeah, thats it.

Here's a post I made in 2019 that still describes my views on prospects:

NameTeamDraft2022 Rank
Connor BedardChicago2023ND
Matvei MichkovPhiladelphia2023ND
Adam FantilliColombus2023ND
Leo CarlssonAnaheim2023ND
David JiricekColombus20225
Simon NemecNew Jersey20224
Logan CooleyArizona202210
David ReinbacherMontréal2023ND
Zach BensonBuffalo2023ND
Pavel MintyukovAnaheim202321
Matthew WoodNashville2023ND
Will SmithSan Jose2023ND
Simon EdvinssonDetroit20229
Cutter GauthierPhiladelphia2022NR
Luke HughesNew Jersey202214
Jiri KulichBuffalo2022NR
Ryan LeonardWashington2023ND
Matthew SavoieBuffalo202223
Jagger FirkusSeattle202223
Joakim KemmelNashville202230
Brandt ClarkeLos Angeles202125
Alexander NikishinCarolina2020NR
Marco KasperDetroit2022HM
Andrew CristallWashington2023ND
Dalibor DvorskySt. Louis2023ND
Frank Nazar IIIChicago20229
Braden YagerPittsburgh2023ND
Colby BarlowWinnipeg2023ND
Shane WrightSeattle20222
Jonathan LekkerimakiVancouver202222
Nate DanielsonDetroit2023ND
Lane HutsonMontreal2022NR
William EklundSan Jose202136
Denton Mateychuk202231
Luke EvangelistaNasville202032
Mavrik BourqueDallas202026
Logan StankovenDallas2021HM
Olen ZellweggerAnaheim2021NR
Matthew KniesToronto2021NR
Aatu RatyVancouver202150
Quentin MustySan Jose2023ND
Brad LambertWinnipeg2022HM
Joshua RoyMontreal202145
Tristan LuneauAnaheim2022NR
Ivan MiroshnichenkoWashington2022
Pavel DorofeyevVegas201939
Mackie Samokevich2021NR
William WallinderDetroit2020NR
Kevin KorchinskiChicago2022NR
Gleb TrikozovCarolina202247

Previous lists: I skipped 2021 for... REASONS.
MrB1Ps top 50 drafted prospects
MrB1Ps annual affiliated prospect list 2020 Covid edition
https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/mrb1ps-top-50-affiliated-prospects-edition-2019-2020.2669037/
MrB1P's top 50 NHL affiliated prospects
Switch Benson and L. Hughes imo

You're one of the few with Lekkerimaki that high, but as a Vancouver fan I'm not complaining.

Also on that topic, I think you conflated Willander and Detroit's Sandin-Pellika, as Willander is the Vancouver prospect.

edit: also, I'm probably switching Clarke and Mintyukov.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I had Smith 8th overall in 2023. Hes still pretty high if you ask me.

I've enjoyed your rankings and look forward to this every year. It takes balls to put out a list like this publicly.
Thanks for the support, I enjoy doing them and getting publicly lynched.
What’s the knock on Nikishin? Kid seems to have it all to be a franchise D in the NHL. Size, Shot, Skating, good puck distributor, and wanting to be the guy. I don’t have him different than Jiricek/Nemec tier. I’d bet that will be a big blunder on the list in a couple of years.

Also curious on your Will Smith take. What do you see in guys like Wood and Benson to be above Smith.

Thanks!
The knock ? What do you mean by knock ? He's a top 25 prospect in the NHL, there's no knock on him. He's right behind Clarke, Edvinsson and Hughes, I don't think it's too far fetched to say he's around where he should be. He's a guy I absolutely love, probably unconditionally. He's the epitome of what I want on my team. Big, rugger, fights, goes all out, skilled.

With that said, he is not as skilled as Clarke, as Hughes, as Reinbacher, as Mintyukov and certainly not as skilled as Nemec and Jiricek. He will produce on account of his booming shot and simple ability to connect passes, but I don't see him as a surefire 1D like I see from these guys. (Clarke being the other one Im not sure has 1D upside.) I see him closer to a very good #3 that you want out there 25 minutes a game. He does not have the creativity nor the in-tight game for an offense to go through him, at least not as of now.

Size and transferability is a big factor. Also I like progress, I feel Zellwegger is hitting or has hit a plateau.

Also, theres just a lot of great prospects out there.

Disagree with quite a few rankings, but appreciate you taking the time to put out this list.

:cheers:
Grazie
Columbus* and Mateychuk is a Columbus prospect.
Oopsie
Hughes envy.
New Jersey devils fan envy
Thanks, OP. Good list. Far too easy to criticize, of course, but ...

Luke Hughes is probably too low, especially when you ignore defensive flaws.
Thats a fair one. Luke Hughes is a high octane offensive player, but to me, he's not an easy player to evaluate. He leaves me wanting more and makes my shake my head more often than I would like to admit for a mostly strictly offensive Dman. Its not something that Ive related to with the other defensemen above him on the list.

Im also not sure that even he can claim to have a better skillset than any of the others above, theyre just great freaking prospects. Cutter Gauthier is not someone I would usually rank above a guy like Hughes, but CGs showed a willingness to be a pro player that Hughes has not, a willignness that makes me think hes one of the guys that gets "it".

Im still seeing Hughes as a top 3 D with 50-60 points ability if Im honest.
Switch Benson and L. Hughes imo

You're one of the few with Lekkerimaki that high, but as a Vancouver fan I'm not complaining.

Also on that topic, I think you conflated Willander and Detroit's Sandin-Pellika, as Willander is the Vancouver prospect.

edit: also, I'm probably switching Clarke and Mintyukov.
No, it's William Wallinder, Willander is a very good prospect and likely makes the top 50 next year but not this year.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
No, it's William Wallinder, Willander is a very good prospect and likely makes the top 50 next year but not this year.
I meant you have Willander listed as a Detroit player, but he is a Canucks pick

Edit: oh I misresd what you said - I understand now, but disagree even more.

Last edited:

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Thats a fair one. Luke Hughes is a high octane offensive player, but to me, he's not an easy player to evaluate. He leaves me wanting more and makes my shake my head more often than I would like to admit for a mostly strictly offensive Dman. Its not something that Ive related to with the other defensemen above him on the list.

Im also not sure that even he can claim to have a better skillset than any of the others above, theyre just great freaking prospects. Cutter Gauthier is not someone I would usually rank above a guy like Hughes, but CGs showed a willingness to be a pro player that Hughes has not, a willignness that makes me think hes one of the guys that gets "it".

Im still seeing Hughes as a top 3 D with 50-60 points ability if Im honest.
I think Hughes is difficult to evaluate because it's been far too easy for him.

Last WJC. The guy could effortlessly blow by his peers while coasting. Truly remarkable. Makar level imho.

Otoh, his lack of backcheck urgency, especially to cover his own egregious giveaways, was disgraceful.

On balance, give me that talent all day, every day. Sand off those lazy defensive deficiencies, and he's a perennial Norris candidate.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Marat Khusnutdinov
Marat Khusnutdinoffthelist
Yeah I can't believe I misread that but I'm going to blame it on being a brutal take
Im pretty confident youve never seen Wallinder play, since you thought he didnt exist.
I think Hughes is difficult to evaluate because it's been far too easy for him.

Last WJC. The guy could effortlessly blow by his peers while coasting. Truly remarkable. Makar level imho.

Otoh, his lack of backcheck urgency, especially to cover his own egregious giveaways, was disgraceful.

On balance, give me that talent all day, every day. Sand off those lazy defensive deficiencies, and he's a perennial Norris candidate.
Its not just defense. His choice of offense is also very "lazy" and he does low iq plays often imo. Extreme example but he reminds me of Drouin a little bit. Im sure hell have more success though.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad