Injury Report: Mrazek Groin Injury

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
And that's a solid plan?
Man if people think Andersen wasn't good enough ........

What other plan was there? What other trade or signing would have made this any better in the realm of realism?

Are the Leafs the only team in the NHL that need to have 10 goaltenders under contract? No reason to believe Mrazek was going to get hurt again. No reason to believe the Leafs needed a goaltender beyond what they currently had. Unrealistic standards and complaints.

Kallgren has a .911% save percentage. I don't know what more you want from your depth goaltender.

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
What other plan was there? What other trade or signing would have made this any better in the realm of realism?

Are the Leafs the only team in the NHL that need to have 10 goaltenders under contract? No reason to believe Mrazek was going to get hurt again. No reason to believe the Leafs needed a goaltender beyond what they currently had. Unrealistic standards and complaints.

Kallgren has a .911% save percentage. I don't know what more you want from your depth goaltender.
It was just a bad (risky) plan from the get-go. Sign an injury prone goalie who.promply goes on the injured list and #1 option is a guy who hasn't played a full season. Jack out and was terrible before he got injured.... and to not try an upgrade on Hutch/Shallgren for insurance and possibly to look for next year option? Bad move IMO

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
So here's a bizarre but very real scenario: Right now, the Leafs technically have only one goalie available. Campbell is "day to day" but still on IR. Mrazek is down and out. ALL the Marlies goalies (Hutch, Woll, Scott, and Petruzelli) that could be called up are not available as of today. They can't dress an AHL contract tender and play him. They can't sign a guy not currently under contract and play him, The only other two goalies on their reserve list are the Russian kids, who are also under contract in the KHL and not available, and probably couldn't get here in time for the Winnipeg game on Thursday anyway. In the event that Kjallgren, for whatever reason, sprains his pinky toe or whatever between now and then, what do the Leafs do? To ensure a non-forfeit, and the integrity of the league (after the Hall non suspension, I'm not sure there IS any, but I digress...) do they give the Leafs a one time dispensation to sign someone...anyone...with a pulse and a pair of pads? Do we have any NA junior goalies on our reserve list that we could technically call up for a game?

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
So here's a bizarre but very real scenario: Right now, the Leafs technically have only one goalie available. Campbell is "day to day" but still on IR. Mrazek is down and out. ALL the Marlies goalies (Hutch, Woll, Scott, and Petruzelli) that could be called up are not available as of today. They can't dress an AHL contract tender and play him. They can't sign a guy not currently under contract and play him, The only other two goalies on their reserve list are the Russian kids, who are also under contract in the KHL and not available, and probably couldn't get here in time for the Winnipeg game on Thursday anyway. In the event that Kjallgren, for whatever reason, sprains his pinky toe or whatever between now and then, what do the Leafs do? To ensure a non-forfeit, and the integrity of the league (after the Hall non suspension, I'm not sure there IS any, but I digress...) do they give the Leafs a one time dispensation to sign someone...anyone...with a pulse and a pair of pads? Do we have any NA junior goalies on our reserve list that we could technically call up for a game?
Sign a NCAA goalie free agent

Reactions: Wrong Wilson

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
This guy stinks. And I don't care who thinks otherwise.

He was signed to take the pressure off Soup...and he did NONE of it.
Freak injuries or not, he put all the pressure on a goalie that wasn't a starter before.

I didn't like the signing, the AAV or the term at the time. Dubas should have just found one or two career backups if possible and then hope at least one of them panned out if needed for a long stretch.

With cap restrictions as they are, such an injury prone choice at that price didn't make sense to me. He seemed more confident and calm of late, but it means little if he is injured, which history suggested he would be.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
When I hear Hutch is coming back….

ED2D3C9B-A28C-486E-A912-2521ED728629.png

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
You see this once or twice a year usually around the league. Yes, they can sign someone to be an emergency backup for a game. Usually one of the local practice goalies. We already did it once this year, Alex Bishop.

Edit: Or is it different after trade deadline, you kind of address that upon rereading..?

Last edited:

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
No, looks fine to me, they can do a professional tryout exemption for a goalie if necessary, unless I'm missing something. Article 16.14, page 107, if any other CBA geeks want a gander

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This guy stinks. And I don't care who thinks otherwise.

He was signed to take the pressure off Soup...and he did NONE of it.
Freak injuries or not, he put all the pressure on a goalie that wasn't a starter before.
I don't think his overall level of play in Toronto is reflective his ability. He has had terrible luck with injuries and has not had the opportunity to get into a groove.

That being said, I don't think a healthy Mrazek was ever going to be the answer for us in terms of getting over the hump in the playoffs. At this point of the season, it's Campbell or bust.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Can the Leafs go with Taylor Joseph in net? He has his issues defensively, (3.00 GAA), but he is PPG in scoring in his professional career.

horner

May 22, 2007
Arizona hasn't even played the goaltender that we signed and they picked him up on waiver .
It sucks for him .

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I’m pretty sure Hutchinson was only unavailable because he was being called up.

They didn’t want to risk an injury with him on the Marlies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Arizona hasn't even played the goaltender that we signed and they picked him up on waiver .
It sucks for him .
It was reported it would take around 10 days for Sateri to get his travel visa.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
As bad as Mrazek has been for 90% of this season (Been really good the last few games), nothing can mentally prepare me for ever seeing Hutchinson in net again.

Kallgren isn't ready, Hutchinson isn't good enough to be an AHL back-up, not addressing the goaltending issue at the deadline was a huge mistake. Picking up anything would be better than what we have right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad