Value of: Mr. John Klingberg to TB?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
Hello,

So it doesn't appear that it's gonna be working anymore for Klingberg in Dallas. Miro is slowly but surely becoming the top-D of this franchise, Klingberg is pending UFA and although it is early in the season, I don't think Dallas is gonna be in a playoff spot.

Then I was wondering, with a couple of buddies, if Klingberg could be traded between now and the TDL, to a team that wants to be competitive but rushes with the PP. Tampa is in this situation and I wondered if they could be interested in getting him. Their RD is clearly inferior to their LD, he could play on a top pair with Hedman, get a 2nd or even 1st pp, get his game back on tracks with a top-tier team that takes time to get going... + Tampa is traditionnally the team that trades its picks in order to get more competitive, with pending UFAs, so possibly a move like this in order to get another shot at the cup for three-peating...

What do we think of this? :)

kij

Jan 31, 2016
TBL predicted to have nearly $9 million in cap space at the deadline, plus Dallas could retain 50% if necessary. Tampa has the pieces, the desire to win, and a need. Hell, they could do all their deadline shopping at once if Dallas commits to selling and take Pavelski as well. He'd fill the gritty skilled forward niche that Tampa loves. Both at 50% comes in at ~$5.6. Would be fun to see.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Hello,

So it doesn't appear that it's gonna be working anymore for Klingberg in Dallas. Miro is slowly but surely becoming the top-D of this franchise, Klingberg is pending UFA and although it is early in the season, I don't think Dallas is gonna be in a playoff spot.

Then I was wondering, with a couple of buddies, if Klingberg could be traded between now and the TDL, to a team that wants to be competitive but rushes with the PP. Tampa is in this situation and I wondered if they could be interested in getting him. Their RD is clearly inferior to their LD, he could play on a top pair with Hedman, get a 2nd or even 1st pp, get his game back on tracks with a top-tier team that takes time to get going... + Tampa is traditionnally the team that trades its picks in order to get more competitive, with pending UFAs, so possibly a move like this in order to get another shot at the cup for three-peating...

What is the offer? Let’s start there.

Reactions: Morrison

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
TBL predicted to have nearly $9 million in cap space at the deadline, plus Dallas could retain 50% if necessary. Tampa has the pieces, the desire to win, and a need. Hell, they could do all their deadline shopping at once if Dallas commits to selling and take Pavelski as well. He'd fill the gritty skilled forward niche that Tampa loves. Both at 50% comes in at ~$5.6. Would be fun to see.

That capspace is only if they keep Kucherov on LTIR till then. Once he comes off LTIR they have 0 capspace. So they can't acquire both unless cap goes back and they don't have any cap they would want to dump for that. For Klingberg Dallas would have to retain 40-50% and then another team would have to retain 40-50%, depending on how much Dallas retains, and also take back Rutta for us to fit him in. So Rutta + 1st + Fortier is the most I'd consider.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hello,

HE had a good season last year and we are only 10 games into this season

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Theres no way Tampa does a deal without getting *some* money going outbound, but haven't looked at Dallas situation.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
That capspace is only if they keep Kucherov on LTIR till then. Once he comes off LTIR they have 0 capspace. So they can't acquire both unless cap goes back and they don't have any cap they would want to dump for that. For Klingberg Dallas would have to retain 40-50% and then another team would have to retain 40-50%, depending on how much Dallas retains, and also take back Rutta for us to fit him in. So Rutta + 1st + Fortier is the most I'd consider.
Pass. Dallas has to retain to help with salary and take Rutta as a dump for a late 1st and a prospect?

Reactions: account deactivated

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

Lmao

yeah sure call em up, they’ll take that :laugh:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Pass. Dallas has to retain to help with salary and take Rutta as a dump for a late 1st and a prospect?

What more do you think you'll get for a pending UFA? Plus Rutta could be flipped right away for a mid round pick.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
then you flip him for the mid round pick before this trade instead of putting it on the team offering the sought after player

trash offer

A 1st + former 2nd round pick prospect + 2 time Cup winning defenseman is a trash offer? Good to know.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Dallas can trade Klingberg anywhere as he has no trade protection.
What does Dallas have coming up on their right side D?

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
HE had a good season last year and we are only 10 games into this season
I don't think this is about Klingberg as a defenseman or how Stars are playing right now, but about their problematic salary structure in the long term view.

Moving Klingberg for assets does make sense. (Not to GM Nill... but anyway.)

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

Hard pass.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
A 1st + former 2nd round pick prospect + 2 time Cup winning defenseman is a trash offer? Good to know.

Nice try, but I'm sure he's not very significant to the 2 cup wins.

We give up Klingberg, then the return has to be a younger/equal age D with similar skills or a prospect that will be a future top pair D. Rutta is not that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Pepper

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Klingberg is a hat on a hat. He's not going to be on the top PP, and I don't think he fits with Hedman on the top pairing.

Just doesn't seem like a fit here.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Oh stop. :biglaugh:

He was a passenger and you know it, quit trying to pass him off as some key cog to Tampa's recent success.

Klingberg scored 15 more points in Dallas's one run to the finals, than Rutta's combined playoff production in three years with Tampa. He's just..... not a viable option for Dallas in any Klingberg trade.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Klingberg will age gracefully, so I'd much rather just re-sign him than spend the next 5 years looking for someone who can do who he can do.

Reactions: Timani

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
id do Klingberg at 50% retained for Foote, ABB, and a 1st, with Rutta being added to make cap work. And then give Detroit a 3rd to retain 1m so Klingberg is only 1.125m which gets Tampa at about 300k in cap space with 13F and 7D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad