OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Recent movies watched...

The Meg - Meh, I would have been angry had I paid money at the theater for that.
The House with a clock in its wall - I did see this in theater (with my boys) and just watched it again on DVD. I'm going to watch it again today. I highly recommend for the Harry Potter fans.
Fantastic Beasts - watched on DVD, seen it on tv before, same as House with a clock in its wall.
Antman and the Wasp - Loved it right up 'til the end where I was like what?..... Trying not to ruin it for those who didn't see it yet. I don't get the ending. Just don't turn the movie off at the end and keep watching through the credits. There's more....

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Recent movies watched...

The Meg - Meh, I would have been angry had I paid money at the theater for that.
The House with a clock in its wall - I did see this in theater (with my boys) and just watched it again on DVD. I'm going to watch it again today. I highly recommend for the Harry Potter fans.
Fantastic Beasts - watched on DVD, seen it on tv before, same as House with a clock in its wall.
Antman and the Wasp - Loved it right up 'til the end where I was like what?..... Trying not to ruin it for those who didn't see it yet. I don't get the ending. Just don't turn the movie off at the end and keep watching through the credits. There's more....
Yeah antman 2 is just odd because it's supposed to be right before infinity war and yeah...that movie is a mess all through out. They got so excited with shrinking shit that they completely ignored the laws of physics and went full on stupid with it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah antman 2 is just odd because it's supposed to be right before infinity war and yeah...that movie is a mess all through out. They got so excited with shrinking **** that they completely ignored the laws of physics and went full on stupid with it.
they are superheroes. nobody cares about the laws of physics. People can't fly either.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah antman 2 is just odd because it's supposed to be right before infinity war and yeah...that movie is a mess all through out. They got so excited with shrinking **** that they completely ignored the laws of physics and went full on stupid with it.

Well, you go into this thinking it's a movie in the first place, everything is exaggerated. The stuff that makes movies off more is the things that will change from the same scene that's not there before because they do multiple cuts and splice things together. That bothers me more.

They are going into the quantum realm and all.

they are superheroes. nobody cares about the laws of physics. People can't fly either.

Yep. it's entertainment.

Funniest part is, he makes Ant-man use flying ants to get around while he had the entire time a suit for his wife that had wings and didn't incorporate them into Ant-mans in all those years she had been gone. His remarks in the movie was a comedic jolt.

AM : "Hold on, you gave her wings?!"
HANK: "And Blasters."
AM: "So I take it you didn't have that tech available for me?"
Hank: "No. I did!"

:laugh:

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Dude that's basic f***ing laws though. A movie about scientific shit, I mean....

That's like a Punisher movie where he bends bullets like it's f***ing Wanted. Like what?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Dude that's basic ****ing laws though. A movie about scientific ****, I mean....

That's like a Punisher movie where he bends bullets like it's ****ing Wanted. Like what?
it's a movie about comic book science aka magic but with fancy words. That's nowhere near the same thing as actual science. If you aren't sure about how it works, the answer is pym particles. It's Marvel's version of Speed Force. Doesn't make sense? Eh, pym particles.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
To me, there's just too many damn super hero movies coming out. Then again, I was never into comic books and they're all the same to be. Maybe I'm just a hater.

The closest I came to being a comic book fan was when I was a kid, I really liked the Michael Keaton batman movies. Those were pretty good. I even had batman toys. Which, as a little off topic, I always have to laugh when women attack barbies and claim it gives girls body image issues. Every batman action figure I had was jacked with an 8 pack. Yet somehow, guys who grew watching wrestlers, Stallone, Lundgren, JCVD and Arnold are somehow comfortable with their dad bods.

Reactions: Jacob and Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
To me, there's just too many damn super hero movies coming out. Then again, I was never into comic books and they're all the same to be. Maybe I'm just a hater.

The closest I came to being a comic book fan was when I was a kid, I really liked the Michael Keaton batman movies. Those were pretty good. I even had batman toys. Which, as a little off topic, I always have to laugh when women attack barbies and claim it gives girls body image issues. Every batman action figure I had was jacked with an 8 pack. Yet somehow, guys who grew watching wrestlers, Stallone, Lundgren, JCVD and Arnold are somehow comfortable with their dad bods.

For years, I have been trying to live up to the He-Man body image issue. I have had no luck being white, blond, and wearing a fur underwear with insane biceps and quads or finding a talking green lion.

The thing with comic book movies is that Marvel has saturated the hell out of the market to the point where that's what people think Comic book movies are and what they look like. Then Warner Bros made sure you knew what a bad comic book movie looked like when they didn't let DC do a proper movie. I think you'll enjoy Joker, because it's a comic book movie, yes, but it's being made in a way where it's more about a dude that turns into a psychotic murderer.

I think that's more of what we need. People have this issue with comic books with being mutants or super powered, but that's not all comic books at all.

Kingsmen is a graphic novel/comic, for example.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
it's a movie about comic book science aka magic but with fancy words. That's nowhere near the same thing as actual science. If you aren't sure about how it works, the answer is pym particles. It's Marvel's version of Speed Force. Doesn't make sense? Eh, pym particles.

The thing is, they create the stupidity themselves.

"Hey, so you can shrink and your mass stays the same, even when you punch!"
"Bro, you just shrunk a building and the mass didn't stay the same...I thought you..."

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The thing is, they create the stupidity themselves.

"Hey, so you can shrink and your mass stays the same, even when you punch!"
"Bro, you just shrunk a building and the mass didn't stay the same...I thought you..."
it doesn't matter even a little bit. There are alien Norse gods, purple space men with magic gem gauntlets, and actual wizards. Who cares about some silly science :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
it doesn't matter even a little bit. There are alien Norse gods, purple space men with magic gem gauntlets, and actual wizards. Who cares about some silly science :laugh:
No man and you know why that's stupid.

In Thor's world, that works, his entire "world" is based off of Norse mythos. Same for GOTG, etc. In that world, cool, if you show that shit then you keep showing that shit, it's normal. It's like if you're going to go full "Pejorative Slur" then go full "Pejorative Slur" but don't half ass it and try to apply logic to it and then abandon it.

When you literally say you can do this because even when you shrink, your weight and strength are not relative to your size.

It was just stupid, I had fun watching Ant Man, but then he falls in a tub and it cracks, he falls on a roof and it dents, but he rides f***ing bugs and they don't crush. Then part 2 doubles down on the stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I watch the Ant-Man movies and have fun with it, but it's just stuff that I remembered after and was like, that was dumb, still a fun movie.

Unlike Justice League (oh what could have been if we at least saw what Snyder did, because the end result with Whedon was a hot mess with reshoots to make it more "fun"...even if Snyder's version sucked too, it would have made sense because of the previous movies and the tone), after watching Aquaman (twice now, gf wanted to see it as well), I despise Joss Whedon and his horrible "bro jokes" even more. The face first into the chest (his shtick from Marvel)...etc. Glad people are distancing themselves from that sort of crap more and more.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
watching Hell or High Water
I liked it, I thought Pine and Foster were great in it, I watched it as a "well whatever, why not, looks like a good cast, can't be too bad..." and was very surprised by how good it was.

Bridges though, does his usual terrible "redneck mumble voice" for most of the movie.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No man and you know why that's stupid.

In Thor's world, that works, his entire "world" is based off of Norse mythos. Same for GOTG, etc. In that world, cool, if you show that **** then you keep showing that ****, it's normal. It's like if you're going to go full "******" then go full "******" but don't half ass it and try to apply logic to it and then abandon it.

When you literally say you can do this because even when you shrink, your weight and strength are not relative to your size.

It was just stupid, I had fun watching Ant Man, but then he falls in a tub and it cracks, he falls on a roof and it dents, but he rides ****ing bugs and they don't crush. Then part 2 doubles down on the stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I watch the Ant-Man movies and have fun with it, but it's just stuff that I remembered after and was like, that was dumb, still a fun movie.

Unlike Justice League (oh what could have been if we at least saw what Snyder did, because the end result with Whedon was a hot mess with reshoots to make it more "fun"...even if Snyder's version sucked too, it would have made sense because of the previous movies and the tone), after watching Aquaman (twice now, gf wanted to see it as well), I despise Joss Whedon and his horrible "bro jokes" even more. The face first into the chest (his shtick from Marvel)...etc. Glad people are distancing themselves from that sort of crap more and more.
Agree to disagree I guess. If it bothers you it bothers you, I just don't see it as an issue.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Agree to disagree I guess. If it bothers you it bothers you, I just don't see it as an issue.
Imagine the fast and furious movies starting off each movie with actual mechanic talk, then the 2nd half of each of those movies, doing the exact opposite of what they showed was possible, shitting all over everything that made sense.

I mean, F&F does that anyway, it's transformers Michael Bay type of shit without talking cars.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Imagine the fast and furious movies starting off each movie with actual mechanic talk, then the 2nd half of each of those movies, doing the exact opposite of what they showed was possible, ****ting all over everything that made sense.

I mean, F&F does that anyway, it's transformers Michael Bay type of **** without talking cars.
I don't need to imagine it, I know what you're talking about. I just don't care. It's irrelevant to the story both of those types of movies are telling.

If a serious sci-fi drama does that, it might bother me. But not a comic book movie.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
The Force is unrealistic and it ruins the Star Wars movies for me.
I figured the shitty story and acting would, but yeah the Force too.

All jokes and not understanding what I am trying to say, aside...

You can't provide logic in your movie, then contradict it directly, right after.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think as a viewer you can only suspend disbelief to a certain point and that limit is different for everyone.

It also depends on whether or not the film is entertaining enough to look past the plot holes, bad science, etc.

I’m not big on comic books, never read them as a kid and only got into Batman from the original show and the Tim Burton films. Even the recent comic book films I liked I also felt like I didn’t need to see them a second time. The last two I even tried to watch were Ant Man and Doctor Strange and in both cases I got to the half way point and realized I had completely zoned out and hadn’t retained a single detail, or felt any emotion, and turned them off.

I really don’t like the Avengers films... it’s way way way too many characters and a lot of them have powers/abilities so weak in comparison to others that their presence is completely pointless. You have literal Gods and giants with super strength and near-indestructibility and then there’s a lady that’s like pretty good at hand-to-hand combat, and a guy that’s almost as effective with arrows as any person would be with a belt-fed minigun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandinho

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I figured the ****ty story and acting would, but yeah the Force too.

All jokes and not understanding what I am trying to say, aside...

You can't provide logic in your movie, then contradict it directly, right after.
I 100% understand what you are saying. I just don't care about it in a superhero movie or dumb blockbuster type action movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad