moved here from Alabama

AZhole

Sep 5, 2019
Been a big hockey fan and now moved to Tempe .
Glendale doesn't seem to far but is it a traffic issue?

My friends said arena is real far and tickets are dirt cheap.

Is this true?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Is this true?

Coming from Tempe you would have to navigate the downtown core traffic which is pretty bad at rush hour. Just from my limited experience the best chance would be to take the I-17 around all that and pick up the I-10 west of the core.

However the Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway will open in a few more months and it should provide a much quicker route Even if the overall driving distance is a bit more.

Coyotes have some good deals on tickets and there’s usually some good deals in the secondary market.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Welcome to the valley. Game time during the week is 7PM. During non-rush hour you can make it from Tempe to the arena in about 30 minutes or so once you're on the highway. During rush hour, that goes up quite a bit. Cost of tickets is supposedly a lot cheaper than other teams around the league. You'll find great deals on the secondary market for weekday games against non-marquee teams.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Is this true?

Welcome! It's a hike from Tempe to GRA, but manageable if you find the right route. Definitely take the I-17 Truck Route to bypass the downtown corridor if you are coming up on the I-10. Sometimes, surface streets can be a lot less of a headache than the I-10, so you can try taking the 10 up to SR-51, then get off at Glendale Ave., Camelback Rd., or Northern Rd., and take one of those west to the Loop 101.

Tickets are not expensive at the moment, so you should be able to get some good deals from the box office.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Coming from Tempe you would have to navigate the downtown core traffic which is pretty bad at rush hour. Just from my limited experience the best chance would be to take the I-17 around all that and pick up the I-10 west of the core.

However the Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway will open in a few more months and it should provide a much quicker route Even if the overall driving distance is a bit more.

The further south in Tempe you live, obviously, the more this will help...if for instance you live in Tempe but north of Town Lake (or maybe even a little south), it miiiight not be worth it. Will be interesting to see.

An East Valley resident myself (Chandler) - yes, always take the 17 truck route vs the 10 through the tunnel, and Google Maps Traffic is your friend (although you might occasionally end up going through parts of town you might not have otherwise)

Also, welcome!

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad