Most Valuable Oiler #11

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler going forward?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

2014 Offseason Results:
*new to 2014-2015 Oilers roster
#tiebreak
^unranked in 2013-2014

2013 Offseason Results:
*not on 2014-2015 Oilers roster

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why is everyone voting for Scrivens? Fasth was just as good, and has proven more in his time in the league (taken the starting job from Hiller). If its a goalie, its Fasth, not Scrivens. I voted Fayne though.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Scrivens is our #1 goalie. That's worth something for sure.

If we're going by trade value, I think it's Fayne just because of his contract. Perhaps Scrivens could get the most from the right team though.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Why is everyone voting for Scrivens? Fasth was just as good, and has proven more in his time in the league (taken the starting job from Hiller). If its a goalie, its Fasth, not Scrivens. I voted Fayne though.

I've been wondering this as well. I have em about even, myself.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Sorry. Cannot agree with the Scrivens call....YET.

Maybe next year if all goes well, but right now I'd think more teams are looking for a guy like Petry than Scrivens.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Scrivens worth to us is huge IMO. I consider him the better goalie between him and Fasth. If he sinks and Fasth gets hurt we could see a repeat of this season. If Petry goes down we'll still have Fayne, Schultz, Nikitin and Klefbom able to play RD.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Scrivens worth to us is huge IMO. I consider him the better goalie between him and Fasth. If he sinks and Fasth gets hurt we could see a repeat of this season. If Petry goes down we'll still have Fayne, Schultz, Nikitin and Klefbom able to play RD.

Yeah but value to the team is not the criteria.

I voted Petry.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
I've been saying Petry a few rounds now. He's still the best dman we have in my opinion and would look better on just about any other team than he has with the Oilers. It is also predictable that his major gaffs will only decrease as he matures.

I'm hoping for a mid-season extension once they realize just how good this guy really is. Breakout season coming in my opinion.

Last edited:

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
I've been saying Petry a few rounds now. He's still the best dman we have in my opinion and would look better on just about any other team than he has with the Oilers. It is also predictable that his major gaffs will only decrease as he matures.

I'm hoping for a mid-season extension once they realize just how good this guy really is. Breakout season coming in my opinion.

Breakout season? I doubt it. Schultz and Nikitin will get most of the PP time. I dont see his points spiking much. His defense might get a little better. Im thinking hes not on the team next year anyway so whatever.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Petry's major gaffes have actually increased every season. He got walked around like a pylon an alarming amount of times last season. I used to like Petry but last season left a really sour taste in my mouth, it was actually Marincin that was covering for Petry's gaffes on many occasions. I also seem to recall him standing around doing nothing as the goalies got run time and time again and as the skilled guys were being physically manhandled. Ugh

This is either Fayne or Scrivens IMO, i'd give a slight edge to Scrivens due to positional importance.
I think Fayne is the Oilers best defenseman and will prove it this year as he will likely play the tough minutes.
I actually think that Fasth is better than Scrivens but with health a big question mark for Fasth, i think Scrivens is the safer choice.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Not voting. If your goalie is not a top 10 in here then you should be last in the league and we know Scrivens is better than that.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Not voting. If your goalie is not a top 10 in here then you should be last in the league and we know Scrivens is better than that.

Scrivens trade value was a 3rd round pick 6 months ago.

You could argue it has gone up, sure maybe it has to the Oilers, but to any team trading for him, they would want to see more of that to value him more than a 3rd.

If we traded Petry for a 3rd round pick, do you think that would be good value for the Oilers? Obviously not, Petry is a bonafide top 4 d-man in the NHL on any team and is worth significantly more than a 3rd.

This is a poll about trade value, I don't understand why that is so hard for people to grasp. And in terms of trade value ATM Petry >>> Scrivens, it's really not close and that's not a knock on Scrivens at all. That's just what the market for him is.

In terms of value to the team it's a lot closer. Scrivens showed he has the ability to play like a #1, but can he sustain that? The Oilers are banking on it. I bet other teams on the other hand aren't willing to bet more than a 3rd round pick on it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah but value to the team is not the criteria.

I voted Petry.

I know, but at some point that has to come into play IMO. If not just rename these threads "who has the most trade value" and not who is the most valuable Oiler.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

He took it away from a sick Hiller who ended up taking the job back the same year and then keep the job all of last year year up until the playoffs.

I like Fasth, but I think the younger Scrivens under contract is the better player for us at the moment.

Could change very quickly though. Just like a Klefbom or Schultz coming strong out of the gate could change the rankings.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton

Middling goalies like Scrivens and Fasth are just not worth much. They are a dime a dozen. Just economics.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Middling goalies like Scrivens and Fasth are just not worth much. They are a dime a dozen. Just economics.

Pretty sure Scrivens was near the top if not at top of the league in sav% most of the season... Finished the season in top 10 aswell despite the defense he had to play in front of in Edmonton.
Scrivs is worth a lot more to the Oilers than Klefbom, Nurse, Petry etc especially for the next couple seasons.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pretty sure Scrivens was near the top if not at top of the league in sav% most of the season... Finished the season in top 10 aswell despite the defense he had to play in front of in Edmonton.
Scrivs is worth a lot more to the Oilers than Klefbom, Nurse, Petry etc especially for the next couple seasons.
Playing half the season in LA has a lot to do with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad