Most underrated prospects in hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's well regarded but we'd be hearing A LOT more about Smith if he was the property of a popular team.
Kid was lights out in his limited shifts at the WC. He's a big game player that gets overlooked at times, but he's turned me into a believer.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I find Ryker Evans to be very underrated. He did get into 36 games last season with the Kraken. I find him to be a very solid dman that has potential to be a very good NHLer very soon. Loved him in junior with Regina and from what I’ve read, he’s continued showing his talent in the AHL the past couple seasons

Unsure if there is a roster spot open for him in Seattle full time yet
He reminds me of a young Montour.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Luca Cagnoni: Maybe not super underrated after a 90 point season, but I really like this player. He is an undersized defenseman, so it’s an uphill battle. But, his offensive instincts are awesome. I had him ranked #32 his draft year.

Andrew Strathmann: I really like this guy. His numbers will not jump out at all but I think he has a lot of projectable NHL traits. He reminds me a bit of Kris Letang with a lot more edge to his game. He was suspended 5 times last season which is crazy. If he can dial that down a bit, I think he can be a solid player.

Carter Mazur: He might not be underrated in the Red Wings’ forum, but I think he might not be super well known. Mazur is a smart winger with a good two-way projectable game. He makes really smart plays and I’ve always been super impressed with him. I’m not saying he will be a superstar, but I think he will be a solid top 9 winger in the NHL. He was fantastic in the 2022 WJC.

Reactions: Eegs and Patty Ice

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Mazur yeah
Nygard - has much more potential than many prefers to label him as just physical complimentary winger
Mukhamadullin - story is big. “Should be nondrafted” etc. Eliteprospecrs ate crow, scouching is continuing to underrated him.
Brindley
Yurov
Ostlund
Buchelnikov
Wolf
Molendyk
Lindstein
Bichsel
Wahlberg
Bardakov - watched a lot of him, I think he is real NHLer, for 7th rounders it’s great, but for the begggining he should decide to travel by himself for the beginning

Last edited:

Top cheese Gaz

Nov 21, 2023
I will go off the charts with some players draft outside the 2 first round

- D. Roobroeck : Huge center, good IQ, good playmaking skill
- N.Huuhtanen : Will probably play in the AHL this year. Huge one T. Need to improve skating
- Holinka : Really like this player, I think he can become a good 3 C in the NHL.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
SJ = D Shakir Mukhamadullin
CHI = D Ethan Del Mastro - looks like Chi got a steal in the 4th round
no NHL team = C/LW Connor Hvidston - had gained good mass last summer only to lose it getting injured (back issues twice)/appendectomy. His WHL teammate Filmon was signed by his draft team, but Hvidston wasn't and went undrafted in a re-draft. Oddly, the Ducks' Dir of Player Dev was looking forward to working with Hvidston. Hvidston turns 21 years old tomorrow, Sept 11th.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Players I probably like more than the consensus that belong to other teams:

Conor Geekie, Danila Yurov, Denton Mateychuk, Jagger Firkus, Lenni Hameenaho, Mikhail Gulyayev, Bradly Nadeau, Tristan Broz, Oliver Bonk, Sam Dickinson

Last edited:
Reactions: slumpy43

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Couldnt resist or just didnt read the OP. Classic.

Yeah as you know I'm such a Sens homer I couldn't resist to hype up one of the prospects my favorite scouting staff selected.

You're embarrassing yourself bert.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Who are some of the most underrated prospects in hockey?

Only parameter to this question is you can’t name someone in the organization of your own NHL team.
Yeah as you know I'm such a Sens homer I couldn't resist to hype up one of the prospects my favorite scouting staff selected.

You're embarrassing yourself bert.
Its never you. Right....

Reactions: Copenhagen91

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
SJ = D Shakir Mukhamadullin
CHI = D Ethan Del Mastro - looks like Chi got a steal in the 4th round
no NHL team = C/LW Connor Hvidston - had gained good mass last summer only to lose it getting injured (back issues twice)/appendectomy. His WHL teammate Filmon was signed by his draft team, but Hvidston wasn't and went undrafted in a re-draft. Oddly, the Ducks' Dir of Player Dev was looking forward to working with Hvidston. Hvidston turns 20 years old tomorrow, Sept 11th.
I'm legitimately pumped about Mukh. I'm hoping he gets the full year to see what he really has

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Can’t really be underrated as a 1st round pick, but maybe under-discussed and I think could be big time impact pros: Simashev, Leonard, MBN, Oliver Moore, Molendyk, Gulyayev, Lambert, Surin

Underrated but popular picks:
Casey in NJ
Brindley in CBJ
Del Maestro in CHI

Off the beaten track:
Danny Nelson NYI
Beau Akey EDM
Nyman SEA

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Maybe Anthony Romani.
111 points in 68 games this year, drafted 6th round, just because he's an overager? Plus he only actually turned 19 in July.
If anyone's July-birthday 1st-rounder had that type of D+1 season everyone would be laying down the red carpet to the big club's PP1.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lots of 1st round picks being listed in an 'underrated prospect' thread.

Yan Kuznetsov who is a Calgary prospect in the AHL for them last year doesn't jump off the page in terms of points or draft position but he stuck out to me every time I watched him last year - big, very mobile, positionally sound defender. Good bet to be a Carson Soucy-type in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad