Most Underrated Flames Players/Prospects?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
^ Pretty much the title. With voting our prospect pool, I started thinking about what players we tend to underrate. I have a top 3 for both roster and prospect players:

Roster Players
1) Ladislav Smid - Huge, huge pick up. Plays a great defensive game and is a warrior. Arguably one of the best #5 defenseman out there. The Oilers are definitely missing him (but I don't think he misses them :nod:).

2) Kris Russell - Puts up points and blocks shots like no other. He had a better blocks per game ratio than Chris Butler (2.96 BPG > Butler's 2.56 BPG). Definitely worth the 5th rounder the Flames offered up for him. Contributing with a .43 PPG is damn good as a defenseman. Solid #4 defenseman in my eyes.

3) Matt Stajan - We always get caught up with talking about centers Backlund and Monahan and tend to forgot about Matt. His son died, we all expected him to not come back to play until next year, but what did he do? He came to practice two weeks later (or whatever the duration was, someone correct me if I am wrong). I think he is the best 3rd line center we could have, I think he has the best FO%, and contributes as a .5PPG player.

Prospects
1) Bill Arnold - Just because he played with Johnny G. for quite a bit of his college career, does not mean he needs to rely on our best prospect. While we all kept a good eye on Johnny in his first NHL game, I made sure to keep a close eye on Arnold and he looked solid as well. He too only needed a couple of shifts to get in to the game. If you put him with quality players, he will be a quality player as well (Klimchuk in training camp). Excited to see how he does with the Baby Flames getting middle 6 minutes.

2) Kenny Agostino - Once he finished his year in Yale, the Flames suffered through some injuries, and this kid had to step in. And for the most part, he looked pretty comfortable and solid. Pretty stoked he got a goal in the NHL, and hope that he too does well with the Baby Flames with middle 6 minutes.

3) Morgan Klimchuk - Both Morgan and Kenny tend to be shadowed with the emergence of Johnny and of course our other awesome prospect in Baertschi. Klimchuk tends to be an "under-the-radar" kind of prospect because of how deep our LW prospects are. He's got a great shot, had a great camp, I think he'll be tearing it up in another year of juniors. Exciting things from this kid.

Just starting another thread so we can pass by time as the days go by prior to preseason. I swear this has been one of the longest offseasons ever because of how excited I am to see how our team does next year with a solid 1st year of rebuilding.

Any other roster players/prospects that I am missing? Reasoning why you think they're underrated?

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Roster

Lance Bouma, not that he gets hate but I believe hes much better then a typical 4th liner.
Kris Russell

Prospects

Kenny Agostino
Corbon Knight
Patrick Sieloff

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Djanko. Without question he is the most underrated of all prospects in our system. Half the people were calling him a bust prior to his 19th birthday

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Djanko. Without question he is the most underrated of all prospects in our system. Half the people were calling him a bust prior to his 19th birthday

Some people still fail to realize that he was going to be a long term project. I mean, for goodness sakes, he still had to go take a calculus test in high school after the draft was over.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Who here is underrating Gillies?

puppy-mafia_o_1075287.jpg

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
MAIN BOARD

roster

Byron
Colborne
Backlund

prospects

Poirier
Klimchuk
Gaudreau

CFHF

roster players

Byron
Smid
Stajan

prospects

Reinhart
Gillies
Agostino

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Gillies brought up a good one. Byron is clearly underrated. Totally forgot about him when I was writing this up.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
MAIN BOARD

roster

Byron. others: "who the hell is Byron?" me: Solid bottom 6 player, with ability to play in the top 6
Colborne others: "AHL player/fringe fourth line" me: Solid bottom 6 player, with ability to play in the top 6
Backlund others: "3rd line center" me: Serviceable 2nd line center, keeps getting better.

prospects

Poirier others: "3rd liner at best, drafted way too high" me: Top 6 winger
Klimchuk others: "3rd liner at best/bust" me: Top 6 winger
Gaudreau others: "bust" me: Top 6 winger

CFHF

roster players

Byron (I feel like he fairly rated? I guess I mainly read praise about him)
Smid Don't know enough about him, I have heard both sides of it though
Stajan (I feel like he fairly rated, very slightly underrated, good 3rd line center)

prospects

Reinhart I have not seen him play enough but I hope that he will make the jump! If he is actually better than all of our players in the AHL (lead the team in point) then I am very happy!
Gillies A lot of us considers him our future goalie, but they're hard to project so I won't try
Agostino I see a lot of people saying he'll play on the third line at best, I have not see him play enough.

Great idea to make a difference between the two sides!

On this note, it'd be cool to see what kind of player you feel people rate them (underrated) compared to how you would rate them. Same goes for how people project our prospects versus how you would.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Players underrated in no particular order by our fanbase: Stajan, and Russell. Players underrated around the league: Monahan, Backlund, Bouma, Glencross, Grats, Gio and Brodie.

Prospects underrated by our fanbase: Klimchuk, Jankowski, Arnold, Smith and Agostino. Prospects underrated around the league: Gaudreau, Baertschi, Wotherspoon, Sieloff and Granlund.

My list is HUGE lol! But there's a tendency for fanbases to overrate their players and for outsiders to underrate them. So that's my list.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Players underrated in no particular order by our fanbase: Stajan, and Russell. Players underrated around the league: Monahan, Backlund, Bouma, Glencross, Grats, Gio and Brodie.

Prospects underrated by our fanbase: Klimchuk, Jankowski, Arnold, Smith and Agostino. Prospects underrated around the league: Gaudreau, Baertschi, Wotherspoon, Sieloff and Granlund.

My list is HUGE lol! But there's a tendency for fanbases to overrate their players and for outsiders to underrate them. So that's my list.

I don't think anybody underrates Gaudreau at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad