Most overrated player on your favourite team - past or present

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Anaheim
Cam Fowler AINEC
Come on man, who is overrating Cam Fowler aside from a few Ducks fans who still defend his poor play? Even historically he never really got praise even when he was playing relatively well.

My answer:

Ducks:

All time: tough to say because historically Ducks players were either rated fairly by neutral fans or underrated/underappreciated and many often wouldn't get their due until they left for other teams or retired (like Hampus Lindholm or Ryan Getzlaf). I guess if I had to pick one I'd say Ryan Whitney was worse than neutral fans at the time thought and being the same player when he moved to Edmonton he got talked about like he was a number one defenseman for a while. And while he never actually suited up for the Ducks, the hype around and after Justin Schultz hit free agency was insanity. He went from talked about by virtually no one but a few college hockey fans to the wider hockey community like he was the next Erik Karlsson and he never even came close.

Current: Mason McTavish. Don't get me wrong, Mac is a good young player with high potential, but after his early season run last year I think neutral fans think he's a much better player right now than he actually is and I suspect it's something of a balancing from how widely Trevor Zegras is reviled around the league. Mac is very much not consistent in his execution yet but he's still talked about like he's this golden child relative to other impressive youngsters the Ducks have.

Vegas:

Current and all time: Alex Pietrangelo. Don't get me wrong. AP was a key figure in Vegas' eventual cup win and has been a strong part of how Vegas was able to run such a good defense the past few years. The overrating came from how for like the first 2-3 years of his Vegas stint, many neutral fans would still classify him as a top ten, as high as top 7 defenseman in the league. Vegas got AP as he was leaving his prime and by the time he arrived I wouldn't have called him top ten. Overall he makes a good impact but he also had more than a fair share of critical puck mishandles and blown defensive coverages. I'm not sure he's still overrated after Vegas' first round exit last spring but I think he's the guy who has gotten the most undue praise even if the overrating wasn't what you could call severe.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Come on man, who is overrating Cam Fowler aside from a few Ducks fans who still defend his poor play? Even historically he never really got praise even when he was playing relatively well.

My answer:

Ducks:

All time: tough to say because historically Ducks players were either rated fairly by neutral fans or underrated/underappreciated and many often wouldn't get their due until they left for other teams or retired (like Hampus Lindholm or Ryan Getzlaf). I guess if I had to pick one I'd say Ryan Whitney was worse than neutral fans at the time thought and being the same player when he moved to Edmonton he got talked about like he was a number one defenseman for a while. And while he never actually suited up for the Ducks, the hype around and after Justin Schultz hit free agency was insanity. He went from talked about by virtually no one but a few college hockey fans to the wider hockey community like he was the next Erik Karlsson and he never even came close.

Current: Mason McTavish. Don't get me wrong, Mac is a good young player with high potential, but after his early season run last year I think neutral fans think he's a much better player right now than he actually is and I suspect it's something of a balancing from how widely Trevor Zegras is reviled around the league. Mac is very much not consistent in his execution yet but he's still talked about like he's this golden child relative to other impressive youngsters the Ducks have.

Vegas:

Current and all time: Alex Pietrangelo. Don't get me wrong. AP was a key figure in Vegas' eventual cup win and has been a strong part of how Vegas was able to run such a good defense the past few years. The overrating came from how for like the first 2-3 years of his Vegas stint, many neutral fans would still classify him as a top ten, as high as top 7 defenseman in the league. Vegas got AP as he was leaving his prime and by the time he arrived I wouldn't have called him top ten. Overall he makes a good impact but he also had more than a fair share of critical puck mishandles and blown defensive coverages. I'm not sure he's still overrated after Vegas' first round exit last spring but I think he's the guy who has gotten the most undue praise even if the overrating wasn't what you could call severe.

In the past he’s been severely overrated by our fan base… there are actually duck fans that think fowler was better than hampus

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Rangers:
Marc Staal. Guy spent over half his career being overpaid trash of a player.

Now: K'Andre Miller. Makes lowpoint Staal look like Rod Langway in the defensive zone.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mark Messier, but that one is a given.
Phil Esposito and Guy Lafleur from my childhood days and even Serge Savard (in terms of all time rankins not peak) Rod Langway as well...........but for my Canucks it's the Sedin twins, great guys scored lots of points at their peaks but their reputation far exceeds their actual on ice total impact and their playoff resumes and international ones are meh for the way some of my fellow canuck fans pump them up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad