Most disappointing season ever?

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I’ve followed the Blues since 1980. There have been too many disappointing playoff exits to remember. There have been plenty of ownership changes along the way as well. To me, I have to think this is the single most disappointing season ever. There’s never been this high of expectations before the season followed by this level of complete failure, at least that I remember.

At least with seasons that ended in playoff defeats there was some extent of accomplishment. In seasons where ownership sold off the team there wasn’t any expectations. This season has been atrocious and now the injuries are starting to mount.

Does anyone have a more disappointing season?

Bendak

Jedi Use Hacks
Apr 5, 2013
St. Louis
I’ve followed the Blues since 1980. There have been too many disappointing playoff exits to remember. There have been plenty of ownership changes along the way as well. To me, I have to think this is the single most disappointing season ever. There’s never been this high of expectations before the season followed by this level of complete failure, at least that I remember.

At least with seasons that ended in playoff defeats there was some extent of accomplishment. In seasons where ownership sold off the team there wasn’t any expectations. This season has been atrocious and now the injuries are starting to mount.

Does anyone have a more disappointing season?

Especially when you add the pre season excitement into the mix

And then realize we are the second worst team in the league

And then realize that there is nothing exciting to any of these games

We don’t hit

We don’t fight

We don’t get emotional or angry

And then to add insult to injury they now run advertisements that all inclusive club seats are back, when my friend dropped $600 opening night when they changed it without any warning

This team and organization can kiss my ass

Blues games are just excuses to hang out with friends and eat/drink at this point

Reactions: ManyIdeas

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Feels like being on a massive ocean liner with plenty of capable sailors on board but the rudder fell off, the engines are dead, and we are drifting towards an iceberg and nobody can do anything about it.

All there is left is sadness.

Reactions: Bendak

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Losing in the first round to the Sharks after winning the President's Trophy in 1999-2000 was a way bigger disappointment than any season where we miss the playoffs.

That’s the reason I’ll always hate the Sharks and Owen f***ing Nolan lol... but it was a huge disappointment after a great season. This season is 100% disappointment. There will be some positives like Thomas and hopefully Kyrou coming back up. That’s a far cry from expectations before the season.

Mar 6, 2012
They've had a lot of very disappointing seasons... but what is so impressive about the organization is that they always manage to cook up new and exciting ways to disappoint us so deeply.

I don't know if this is the worst... but it's surely up there.

So many spectacular first round flameouts by our killer regular season teams... that 2005 debacle... the Gretzky team going down in a game 7 overtime... hell, last year was a real kick in the nuts too...

The identity of this franchise is perpetual disappointment and letdown. It's all they know and all they've ever done.

The fact that the team has such a loyal and large fanbase is really pretty amazing all things considered.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
They've had a lot of very disappointing seasons... but what is so impressive about the organization is that they always manage to cook up new and exciting ways to disappoint us so deeply.

I don't know if this is the worst... but it's surely up there.

So many spectacular first round flameouts by our killer regular season teams... that 2005 debacle... the Gretzky team going down in a game 7 overtime... hell, last year was a real kick in the nuts too...

The identity of this franchise is perpetual disappointment and letdown. It's all they know and all they've ever done.

The fact that the team has such a loyal and large fanbase is really pretty amazing all things considered.

As of late, I've tended to look at that loyalty as a sort of toxic relationship. I love the Blues, don't get me wrong, but how can you keep ending up with the same or similar results decades in, decades out. I mean, the most famous game in Blues history for Non-Blues fans is the Monday Night Miracle and we lost that series and one of the most famous images ever taken in hockey was Bobby Orr going airborne over...

I need a drink.

Honetly, to be a Blues fan is to have a bottomless pit of loyalty, which really is a true testament to the team itself. If only the franchise itself can take that to heart and reward the fans for their loyalty...

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Most disappointing regular season for me without a doubt. I really thought we’d be competing for 2nd in the division. I thought Nashville was still going to be better than us, but I thought we were right there with the Jets. The second loss to Chicago was when I realized we weren’t very good. The 5-1 Minnesota beatdown where we had like three real scoring chances all game was when I realized we were legitimately bad.

It’s nothing compared to all of the playoff disappointments though. At least with an awful regular season there’s the silver lining of a great draft pick. There’s no silver lining to a first round exit after a great regular season.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Most disappointing regular season? Probably.

Not the most disappointing season. Spending 82 games building up the team and losing to San Jose was worse.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
05-06 was worse. I don't know that I can say we are worse than that, only being a little over a quarter into the season, but I would say I'm definitely more disappointed since our roster is a shit ton better.

ledzeppelinfan1

Feb 26, 2010
Yes, by a country mile.

I despise this franchise right now.

First of all, the preseason hype was probably as high as it's ever been here.

Secondly, we start off with great offense and terrible goaltending. THEN, the goaltending finally improves...and the offense dries up.

How Bluesy.

And now...the injuries.

Honorable mention goes to the teams absolutely s$&t work ethic and up and down commitment to being competitive from game to game.

I'm disgusted.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Simon is right. 91 has to be the most disappointing because the Blues were poised for a trip to the SC Finals that year. But because Sutter had issues with Momesso & Courtnall, he makes that insane trade for Garth Butcher. The Blues essentially traded away a whole freaking line of Ronning, Courtnall and Momesso. A lot of speed and a lot of size. Blues gave Minnesota their trip to the Cup.

This team stinks. Surprising that they're this bad, yes, but when you stink you stink. And this team stinks. Good news is we're going to get a great first round pick, and this franchise needs a top 3 talent bad so that's something to get real excited about.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
I'm only 27 so really only started paying close attention around 03-04, but this team in terms of expectations has been the worst for me. Every time I think they are about to turn a corner (Leafs game, Nashville games, Colorado game) they bring me back down to earth...

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
This is for sure the worst season that I can remember. Granted losing to San Jose in the first round is right up there. Thanks Bergeron.

When we were rebuilding, at least there was a reason that we were not good. Now, this is a team that I had in the top 4-5 in the NHL going into the season. And most of us were really excited about it.

I still don't understand the coaching decisions - clearly we are not a team that plays man to man in the dzone. So why are we continuing to do so. I don't feel the team believes in the system and it didn't work when Hitch tried it - got him fired. And this year Yeo figured it would be a good idea and it got him fired and now Berube is using it. I must be missing something very obvious. I truly wonder if the ownership has tossed the towel in on the season and has determined that they would rather keep our early pick this year then try to make adjustments to put up more wins.

So, let me ask a question - Is the thought that the season is done, so lets play the system, get the kinks out and try to get better at it so, next year we can put it in and have it work or is the coaching so poor that they think we can win this year with it?

fallingquarters

Jan 15, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
It's the most disappointing for me in a long time for the simple reason that I don't actually enjoy watching the games anymore. I can cheer on losing hockey as long as it looks like something is being put together - youth developing, a goalie transcending what you thought he was capable of, veterans leaving everything on the ice, etc. But outside of ROR, I have found very little of that to find solace in.

Mar 6, 2012
Last year was super brutal too. It was like a slow motion train wreck... missing the playoffs by a single point on the final day of the season? After that start? Woof.

But yeah, this year, coupled with last year has surely put me in my lowest point as a Blues fan. This feels different and more hopeless. It makes me just not care about anything, which is truly bizarre. I spend a decent amount of time following and analyzing and being a Blues mega fan... and this year I have no motivation to even care... why should I care about any of this? Why should I spend any of my valuable time or money (ha, yeah right) on this team? The answer is I shouldn't.

I feel like I've given this team so much time and money and attention and good-will through the years and they just don't give it back.

It's a one sided relationship with little to no upside for the fans. All we get is bitter disappointment, year after year after year.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
It has to be up there for everyone.

Nobody thought the Blues' window was closing yet here we are on the verge of missing the playoffs again. With a team that looks great on paper... or at least did a couple months ago.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I was one of the more pessimistic posters entering the season. I questioned coaching and goaltending til people told me to shut-up and stop harshing their vibe. Then I kept questioning it. I never expected us to be close to this bad. I was thinking best case we would be 3rd in division and get smoked first round by Wpg/Nsh. Worst case I thought we'd just miss the playoffs. I never expected to be in the running for a top 5 pick. So it's not my most disappointing season. It is still a huge disappointment, even as someone who had relatively lower expectations than most.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I was one of the more pessimistic posters entering the season. I questioned coaching and goaltending til people told me to shut-up and stop harshing their vibe. Then I kept questioning it. I never expected us to be close to this bad. I was thinking best case we would be 3rd in division and get smoked first round by Wpg/Nsh. Worst case I thought we'd just miss the playoffs. I never expected to be in the running for a top 5 pick. So it's not my most disappointing season. It is still a huge disappointment, even as someone who had relatively lower expectations than most.
I don't remember any of this.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't remember any of this.

People telling me to shut-up may be a bit of an exageration to be sure. But a few people did ask how I could be so negative after such a good off-season, and to let them enjoy the good news. I don't want to spend a ton of time pulling old quotes, but here are a few from me. where I did say that our coaching and goaltending still sucked and a couple responses.....

"We shall see how the off-season went for Armstrong 8-9 months from now. Failing to address the goaltending/coaching situation could be a critical mistake" -Majorityof1, 9/11/18
"But our goaltending is bottom 3 in the league according to this model. That is exactly the reason I am less optimistic than anyone here about our chances (I'd also add poor coaching of the PP). " -Majorityof1, 9/11/18

In the Maroon signing thread, I stated we should have used that cap space to shore up goaltending rather than on Maroon....

Me: "For those of you thinking this signing makes the Blues a Cup contender, let me introduce you to our starting goaltender, Jake Allen" - majorityof1, 7/11/18
Repsonses: "Allen will disappoint us in October and that'll last till April. Just let Blues fans be excited during the only months that we have to be excited." - bleedblue1223. 7/11/18
"It's 2 posters. 2 insufferable posters. [re: me and another for complaining about the signing]" - Letsgoblues91, 7/11/18

DudeLebowski

Dec 4, 2018
I feel like some of the past few seasons, the ones with 50 wins only to be bounced in the first round, might be higher up for me. The frustration of seeing this team succeed for 6 months only to not be able to score goals, that hurt.

This year? I’ve become numb to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad