GDT: Morning with the Sabres vs Devils in Prague, CZE 10 AM ET - TV: MSG, NHL Network - Radio: WGR550 - Game # 2

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
What does ruff do to implement his system ? Can someone explain what system and advance coaching he as a coach provide ? Like you cant just stand behind the bench so what is the system the sabres use to help these players winn?
As you know there are 2 basic schools of thought here.... force your system on the players irrespective of what their strengths, weaknesses and abilities are.

This works best if you already have a talent laden team.

The other approach is to adjust and adapt your coaching in accordance with the players you are given.

I think Ruff is doing the latter. It takes time to put that all together. Ruff's current team is NOT his 2003-04 team. That level of talent is not there.... except perhaps for todays squad's defense corp.

We are familiar with his coaching systems as applied in the past. He never ran a run and gun system. (Which is pretty much all this team has been good at.) Lindy ran a read and react transition trap, counter attack system last time I watched him coach the Sabres. He had the talent and the intelligence and quickness to make that happen. And if you didn't play the system, you sat.

This crew.....? (Laughs hysterically.)

So the approaches Lindy is applying are still in development. They have to be.

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
As you know there are 2 basic schools of thought here.... force your system on the players irrespective of what their strengths, weaknesses and abilities are.

This works best if you already have a talent laden team.

The other approach is to adjust and adapt your coaching in accordance with the players you are given.

I think Ruff is doing the latter. It takes time to put that all together. Ruff's current team is NOT his 2003-04 team. That level of talent is not there.... except perhaps for todays squad's defense corp.

We are familiar with his coaching systems as applied in the past. He never ran a run and gun system. (Which is pretty much all this team has been good at.) Lindy ran a read and react transition trap, counter attack system last time I watched him coach the Sabres. He had the talent and the intelligence and quickness to make that happen. And if you didn't play the system, you sat.

This crew.....? (Laughs hysterically.)

So the approaches Lindy is applying are still in development. They have to be.
Lindy did use a run & gun system for NJ. That was his entire system he used for all of his NJ's tenure. I'm a NJ fan and I hate to say it for you guys but he has your team looking exactly how he had ours looking. His setup is eerily similar to ours and it didn't work out well at all besides that one year we went to the playoffs. One thing I've learned with Lindy is his system makes it much harder for the defense and he's not great with strategy. He doesn't change things up. Every time we played a superior coach they would go on record saying playing NJ is easy. Just shut down the middle of the ice & it's a lock. He also rarely uses timeout or uses them at horrible moments. Hopefully he learned his lesson and applies a different approach to your team. He's a good guy & I hope he succeeds with you guys and I actually like you guys as a team.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Lindy did use a run & gun system for NJ. That was his entire system he used for all of his NJ's tenure. I'm a NJ fan and I hate to say it for you guys but he has your team looking exactly how he had ours looking. His setup is eerily similar to ours and it didn't work out well at all besides that one year we went to the playoffs. One thing I've learned with Lindy is his system makes it much harder for the defense and he's not great with strategy. He doesn't change things up. Every time we played a superior coach they would go on record saying playing NJ is easy. Just shut down the middle of the ice & it's a lock. He also rarely uses timeout or uses them at horrible moments. Hopefully he learned his lesson and applies a different approach to your team. He's a good guy & I hope he succeeds with you guys and I actually like you guys as a team.
I was talking about his Sabre tenure. I don't know what he did in Jersey. He's been a perennial Asst Coach for Team Canada, is highly regraded by his peers. Maybe Jersey wasn't the right fit but I've never heard him referred to as an easy coach to play against.

Hell, he coached the Sabres to a SCF and only lost because the NHL changed the rules of the game in the final game.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Why do I suspect that our owner will be nowhere near KBC on Thursday to enjoy the glorious new roof and video board every other team got at least half a decade back?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Ok man you’re right, Kulich is ready to go.

Ok man lets make determinations about a kid based on one game because of some silly chart. He may be or he may not be but one game isn't some determining factor here...especially in a game like this.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I'll have to go back and read i guess because i could have sworn you posted more than that one sentence. You wouldn't have purposely left out the part where you said he isn't a difference maker to make your argument look better would you? No, i must be mistaken.

He isn’t a difference maker. You can be a good player and bot be a difference maker.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Not using a timeout? Dammit I thought they fired Granato!

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Hated the Lindy hire when it happened as it felt like nostalgia bait and they rushed it when there were a bunch of other candidates out there. Felt like Terry’s idea.

2 games into the Lindy 2.0 era and I gotta say he is not exactly inspiring confidence, he looks (and sounds) very old and tired. So many younger sharp minds on benches around the league and we’re stuck with this. The fire that used to make him great just isn’t there anymore and he no longer has that presence/aura behind the bench like in the old days.
I had the same reaction to watching and listening to Ruff Friday and Saturday. He DOES look and sound old. Is he coaching that way too? I don't know, but Lindy is part of the past of this organization, not the future.

And why the hell is Marty Wilford still behind the bench? LMFAO!

I can't believe Ruff wanted him. So Ruff took the HC job without full control of his assistant coaches?

Calling it now: these losers are gonna sleepwalk through the home opener and get booed off the ice
I think the team will be on thin ice. Pardon the pun. The crowd is not going to be patient. If they come out flat in that first period, could get ugly fast.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
And why the hell is Marty Wilford still behind the bench? LMFAO!
Why the hell is Matt Ellis still sitting there? It's just idiotic, Lindy didn't seem to be allowed to bring anyone to the bench or he didn't care who was there, I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad