GDT: Morning with the Sabres vs Devils in Prague, CZE 10 AM ET - TV: MSG, NHL Network - Radio: WGR550 - Game # 2

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I’m gonna give them like 5 more games before I really mentally check out from following this team. Kings, Panthers, Pens, Blue Jackets, and Chicago. If they leave that stretch as 1-6 or 1-5-1 or something like that it will be hard to come back with how hard our division is.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I just got home..I'm guessing things are not going well ?

dexter-toilet-explosion.gif

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
New coach, new system, some new players, not having a normal pre-season, being in Europe for over a week, playing back to backs in said continent. I'll be worried if they are below .500 at the end of the month. The Euro trip was a terrible thing to throw us into.

New Jersey: New coach, new system, some new players, not having a normal pre-season, being in Europe for over a week, playing back to back on said continent.

2-0

This is delusion at its finest.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Go ahead I have time. Explain.
We have very good goaltending, talent all around, depth and finally a bottom 6 that can actually play a shift. Probably the biggest miss on Adams tenure was not getting an established coach when this team took a step and just missed the playoffs a few years ago. He is usually solid in learning from his mistakes and it's evident by the Ruff hire. Ruff has to re-wire how the players see the game, work in his system and believe that when something goes wrong, who cares, move on and go get the next goal

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
At the end of the day, if Ruff can do any good with this group, it wasn't going to happen in a training camp and half a preseason. So of course the same guys will look like some version of last year, with an added bonus of New Jersey being capable of playing a style that gives us fits (smothering defense and above average passing) and having to play them twice in less than 24 hours.

That being said, I'm getting less and less optimistic that this core aren't just always going to be this dumb, lazy and/or set in their ways. It's hard to coach the stupid out of so many players at the same time.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
We have very good goaltending, talent all around, depth and finally a bottom 6 that can actually play a shift. Probably the biggest miss on Adams tenure was not getting an established coach when this team took a step and just missed the playoffs a few years ago. He is usually solid in learning from his mistakes and it's evident by the Ruff hire. Ruff has to re-wire how the players see the game, work in his system and believe that when something goes wrong, who cares, move on and go get the next goal
Amazing how Keefe with the Devils doesn't have this problem or the Devils in general despite finishing lower than us the year prior.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I literally explained the difference above ...
There is no difference. New Jersey is literally in the same boat as us coming into this season. Excuse for excuse and yet they looked like an NHL team.

They also have a more veteran lineup and goaltending helps. Goaltending is why they finished lower than us last season.
And at what point is Cozens, Thompson, Tuch, Greenway, Dahlin, Jokiharju, Clifton considered veterans? I didn't even add any of the players added this year.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Hahahaha. Yeah.

I forgot about our 112 point season just two short years ago
How about Buffalos season where they were 3rd overall in scoring. That's the same season that New Jersey had their 112 point season.

One team took a step back and quickly regained footing. The other team can't find their way out of room with lighting.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Do you mean the #1C here that had MVP like seasons that carried what was a 1 line team? If you don’t like the guy, fine, but let’s not act like he and his line on many nights were the ONLY reason we were in game.

But hey, an injured-riddled season at the end of his time here wipes everything else out that he did here and who he was as a player and the only truth is THAT he was that player only and he did nothing for us.
You missed the point.

A few posters are starting a new theme/agenda about how we don’t have a #1 center or even a top 6 centers. Then lamenting that we had one but traded him away. Acting as if we were close to accomplishing anything when Jack was here. Thats not an attack on Jack. It’s a simple statement of fact. That you took it to be an attack on Jack is on you.

The irony of their whining is we almost made the playoffs with Tage as the 1C putting up 47g 94pts. Production from a Sabres 1C we haven’t seen for quite some time. To steal from your post… an injured riddled season wipes that season out apparently.

Reactions: Dingo44

rogking65

May 13, 2016
At the end of the day, if Ruff can do any good with this group, it wasn't going to happen in a training camp and half a preseason. So of course the same guys will look like some version of last year, with an added bonus of New Jersey being capable of playing a style that gives us fits (smothering defense and above average passing) and having to play them twice in less than 24 hours.

That being said, I'm getting less and less optimistic that this core aren't just always going to be this dumb, lazy and/or set in their ways. It's hard to coach the stupid out of so many players at the same time.
well said....this is one group of low IQ players

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Probably an overreation, but I don't care. I would rather we get rid of the entire team, and start from scratch, with a competent office to build out a roster. Several gm's and half a dozen coaches haven't made a bit of difference.

Fold the team, put in a bid for an expansion franchise (The Cheektowaga Chieftains for all I care) and start a new team that way.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Adams doesn't last after another season without playoffs, TP will simply promote another organization person without NHL general management experience. Wash, rinse, repeat.
So frustrating.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Lindy went from that hit was a joke to you can't look back on the hit now

Benson confirmed hurt.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
well said....this is one group of low IQ players
Well, there's two parts to that. These guys don't seem to be playing good hockey together or individually for the most part...

But also, if coaching really does matter at all, the improvements will probably come through the season as Ruff sits through these games and beats some kinda message into their head, and probably not as much through the Sabres particularly choppy training camp/preseason.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
How about Buffalos season where they were 3rd overall in scoring. That's the same season that New Jersey had their 112 point season.

One team took a step back and quickly regained footing. The other team can't find their way out of room with lighting.
For as bad as you and others make this team out to be they were only 1 point out of a playoff spot.

This team is better than what they have shown these 2 games. If by the end of the month they are below .500 than there is reason to say this is the same team

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
Devils usually start quick as they are a small fast team. So when everyone is healthy and not beat up/tired from all the travel and games. They are a very good team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad