Morgan Rielly "It's stanley cup or bust. I think that’s how our group feels. Anything short of that will be a failure."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Maybe it isn't Rielly, but ya, they do.

I am sure every NHL player thinks it is Cup or bust.
Most certainly not. Being competitive doesn't mean being delusional.

I don't think there is one player on the Sharks or Ducks or Jackets or any number of teams with little to no realistic playoff shot that is in camp right now thinking, let alone staying publicly, "cup or bust this year".

No way has McDavid celebrated the same way their fans have for being losers, he is a pro athlete, and the ultimate goal is to win.
? No idea what the point of this comment is
They finally have some decent ELCs coming up (Hunter sucked when running the drafts), I am excited about that, and then hopefully Woll stays healthy because when healthy, he's been a stud.

It depends on a few things, but not sure that it is a "downward slope", there are things to be excited about.

The core is exiting its prime though, I agree, we will see how they age.
Relative to the rest of the league, Leafs prospect pool is bottom tier, maybe worse.

Interesting dilemma they face with Marner... Keeping (or getting similar established talent back in trade) will be crucial to keeping their window open, but trading him for a ransom of quality picks/prospects might well be the best bet to re-tool and extend their window longer term.
D is some concern.

I like Danford and Niemela as prospects, but not much else.

I think Liljegren has the tools to put it together too, but we will see, he hasn't yet.

They have 2-3 good years left with some of the D now, a lot can change in that timeframe, so who knows, I think they have an abundance of forwards and could make some moves for D if needed.
Things can change fast with 30+ dmen, let alone mid 30s guys like Tanev & OEL (remember Muzzin).
One team had a successful formula last year and everyone got older, not saying Toronto is favourites, but I think they got better from last year, and it just takes a run.

I also think they beat Boston if Woll is healthy and then who knows (Florida looked good, so they likely lose).

Their issue is scoring every year too, the depth scoring has been terrible, and the stars have been putting up PPG recently, but they get no help.

Hoping the young guys coming up will help with that, I am most excited about Greb and Cowan.
Cup or bust indeed!

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
To be fair Yzerman didn't make the finals until his 12th season, didn't win the cup until year 15.

Ovechkin didn't make the finals or win the cup until year 13.

Not every player/team is going to win in their early years like Pittsburgh, Chicago.

Reactions: banks

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Most certainly not. Being competitive doesn't mean being delusional.

I don't think there is one player on the Sharks or Ducks or Jackets or any number of teams with little to no realistic playoff shot that is in camp right now thinking, let alone staying publicly, "cup or bust this year".

Of course, the bottom tier is not like that... they are irrelevant to this conversation.

? No idea what the point of this comment is

Pretty simple, some think losing later in the playoffs is some accomplishment, but most athletes don't.

Relative to the rest of the league, Leafs prospect pool is bottom tier, maybe worse.

Relative to contending teams (the ones making the playoffs with good players already), it is not.

Maybe you just aren't aware of some of the players in their system, not sure.

Interesting dilemma they face with Marner... Keeping (or getting similar established talent back in trade) will be crucial to keeping their window open, but trading him for a ransom of quality picks/prospects might well be the best bet to re-tool and extend their window longer term.

Not really, at least to me.

Things can change fast with 30+ dmen, let alone mid 30s guys like Tanev & OEL (remember Muzzin).

Not a huge fan of the Tanev contract, OEL is fine, but he is not in the long term plans, and Muzzin got hurt, not sure why he was brought up, he was a #1/2 when he got hurt.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Interesting. Can't say that I agree at all.

Definitely don't agree there. Same poor cap formula. Same massive ? in nets. Same questionable UFA signings. Old and very average D group.

Thin and mediocre prospect pool, 3 picks total in the first 4 rounds of the next two drafts.

All that's changed is the margin for error has decreased, and the likelihood of re-signing Marner is about the same as him leaving for nothing in the offseason.

Cup or bust is understandable... This year may well be their best shot before things start unravelling quickly (not unlike the Treliving experience in Calgary)

This just sounds like you speculating to be honest. Old and mediocre D core not sure how you can say that given the core was retooled and hasn't even played a game yet. Goaltending has the best goalie in sv% and GAA last year and a top goalie prospect who graduated and was elite for us last year, clearly improved over Samsonov / Murray.

Leafs have a strong pipeline of prospects coming. Cowan, Minten, Grebenkin probably the closest to being NHL ready and of course Knies being 22, Robertson 23 are young players just establishing themselves... Plus the glut of guys like Holmberg and McMann who are a bit older but developed well.

Leafs are very deep

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

Was a theme of the Leafs pressers this year which are different than years past where they would allude to the goal but never actually placed expectations on themselves.

This is the year the Leafs figure it out under Berube and go on a cup run.
wow, the Toronto Maple Leafs are not a team that should be saying its cup or bust, they are not at that level. It is amusing that he says the room feels that way...that means the group feels that they are super close....:shakehead

• Haha
Reactions: Daishi

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He endlessly plays the victim card.

Anyone who criticizes a Leaf player is a "Leaf hater" and then he pretends all of HFBoards is just a bunch of meanies who pick on his heroes.

Yeah it's wild
I just said Chris Tanev at his age and mileage shouldn't play first pairing minutes over an 82 game schedule.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Can someone explain why this is news? Players say this all the time. Even teams that missed the playoffs the previous year will say this, what’s the big deal?

I think we're trying to figure out what "bust" means.

The Leafs have failed utterly in the playoffs and haven't changed the core in the better part of a decade.

What is Rielly envisioning?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

Was a theme of the Leafs pressers this year which are different than years past where they would allude to the goal but never actually placed expectations on themselves.

This is the year the Leafs figure it out under Berube and go on a cup run.
FwSBrWGX0AAQf_N.jpg

I don't recommend saying it.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I have a feeling the Berube signing is going to be looked back on as the equivalent of the Oilers' hiring Dallas Eakins.

If the Leafs ever actually win something, I feel like some part of my own personal enjoyment in life will die.

How is this even possible -- in any imagineable scenario -- in the world's #1 hockey market, with the biggest fanbase, with the most revenue, and as a destination (unlike most Canadian cities) that players actually want to play in?:

2006 - Failed to win a playoff round
2007 - Failed to win a playoff round
2008 - Failed to win a playoff round
2009 - Failed to win a playoff round
2010 - Failed to win a playoff round
2011 - Failed to win a playoff round
2012 - Failed to win a playoff round
2013 - Failed to win a playoff round
2014 - Failed to win a playoff round
2015 - Failed to win a playoff round
2016 - Failed to win a playoff round
2017 - Failed to win a playoff round
2018 - Failed to win a playoff round
2019 - Failed to win a playoff round
2020 - Failed to win a playoff round
2021 - Failed to win a playoff round
2022 - Failed to win a playoff round
2023 - Won one playoff round
2024 - Failed to win a playoff round

It takes a kind of staggering managerial incompetence to pull that off.

If your personal enjoyment hinges on a specific sports franchise consistently failing I suggest you touch grass.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This just sounds like you speculating to be honest. Old and mediocre D core not sure how you can say that given the core was retooled and hasn't even played a game yet. Goaltending has the best goalie in sv% and GAA last year and a top goalie prospect who graduated and was elite for us last year, clearly improved over Samsonov / Murray.

Leafs have a strong pipeline of prospects coming. Cowan, Minten, Grebenkin probably the closest to being NHL ready and of course Knies being 22, Robertson 23 are young players just establishing themselves... Plus the glut of guys like Holmberg and McMann who are a bit older but developed well.

Leafs are very deep
Relative to the rest of the league, the Leafs defense is middle of the pack at best, and their average age is T-3rd oldest in the league... With no one under 30 that is top pairing material.

Their prospect pool is bottom tier.

Their upcoming draft capital is 3 picks in top 4 rounds of next 2 drafts.

Deep is not a reasonable assessment of their roster nor their organizational depth. Top heavy, and at risk of losing one of their best assets for nothing, especially so if they don't win/have a deep run.

Cup or bust is a very fair assessment, no surprise Reilly feels that way, writing is on the wall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad