Prospect Info: Morgan Barron

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
In depth article re Barron, brought to our attention by a Jess Rubenstein tweet

The Red's Barron
Maybe it’s because we follow Rangers prospects and maybe it’s because we don’t have many forwards to talk about, but I feel there’s a ton of low-key hype around Barron. If that sentence makes sense. I just mean, no one is saying he’ll be an all-star in the NHL but lots of people seem to be talking about him.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Luce started out with the Rangers. I really liked Hagelin, Boyle and Grabner on our penalty kill. Grabner and Hagelin just speed demons---you make a mistake and let them get behind you they're gone. To me both of them were extremely effective and Hagelin had a motor like the energizer bunny--he could go forever. For Boyle--face-offs, effective use of size and reach and clutch play. We've had a bunch--Zibanejad currently, Messier, Graves, Ortmeyer, Dom Moore, Tikkanen.
The Rangers are a goaltender-and-pk’ers factory. Better than nothing, though :)

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He’s a cross between Stéphane Matteau and Brandon Dubinsky with a heavy shot IMO.

So I guess he is Physical and use his size like along the boards based on the Dubi Matteau comparison or will Rangers fans get frustrated with his non physical soft play? Is he ones of those players that changes momentum with a big hit blocked shot or a fight or he doesn't play that way at all?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
So I guess he is Physical and use his size like along the boards based on the Dubi Matteau comparison or will Rangers fans get frustrated with his non physical soft play? Is he ones of those players that changes momentum with a big hit blocked shot or a fight or he doesn't play that way at all?

Watching him at the prospects camp in Stamford he let up on multiple players he could have clearly put through the boards (there was a rule or unwritten hitting rule in prospect camp). He’s a thick player (unlike so many of these string beans), is a heavy/strong skater with a heavy shot.

Maybe I should call him a bigger version of Fast with a heavier shot. Not sure he’s a momentum changing player but I see him as all around solid. Can score some goals, get some assists, be strong on the boards, hit/check, etc. He has power without the Kreider speed. Shoe in 3rd liner yet i’m thinking he’s a solid 2nd line player. I’m high on him as I was with Lindgren. :)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah Dubinsky's hands were a level above what Barron's are.

IMO the gap re. hands is not big. It’s interesting overall players comparison that should indicate that Duby is better than medium expectations for Barron since Brandon was a second liner for a good chunk of his career. Don’t see any particular area where Duby is head and shoulders above Morgan (again just my opinion) so just figured he’s just a little better across all areas: hands, sense, speed, front of the net, board play and physicality). Shot quality is where they’re probably at least equal.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I’ve only watched highlights but this kid looks like he has way more potential than Boyle or Moore. For those who watch him regularly, what is holding him back?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
college hockey was a fraction of the development and competitive environment that it is now.
Yup. College hockey has come a long way in 20 years. For a long time it was just for US kids, and most of the good ones still left to play Canadian junior. Now youth hockey has exploded in the US and there are so many more talented American kids and most go the NCAA route. And now there are even top Canadian and European players going the college route. Plus the NHL and NHLPA are investing in it--College Hockey, Inc. helped launch the varsity programs of Penn State then Arizona State, and now both are big time. It's awesome. Shit, just look at Barron/Cornell and the ECAC. Over the past decade it went from not much to a power. College hockey is way better than it ever was, across the board.

Also, with Barron, I think it's fair to readjust expectations. His first season or two, it was "Well for a guy drafted that late, even getting an NHL player is a win!” But I think now that we've watched him for three years, we've seen the accolades heaped on him, we've read scouting reports from reputable sources, I think it's fair now to adjust expectations upwards. An optimistic but not unreasonable projection for Barron has him outscoring Moore. I'm also not sold on the center thing, but that's a different story.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I’ve only watched highlights but this kid looks like he has way more potential than Boyle or Moore. For those who watch him regularly, what is holding him back?

I think Edstrom is more of the Boyle type. He has to fill out yet appears to be a smoother skater. He’s like 7’0 on skates lol

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
college hockey was a fraction of the development and competitive environment that it is now.

agree, and don’t see any resemblance to Dom Moore besides they played in college. Moore was a very hard worker yet Barron has a lot more to work with IMO.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

The ECAC also just wasn't very good when Moore played in it. You had Harvard and Cornell and no one else. St. Lawrence was good at the time as well, but that's not saying much. The ECAC was largely hot garbage and any guy with some skill could do well in it.

Highlighting Moore's stats as something to do with Barron is just odd and lacks insight into college hockey (particularly the ECAC) at the time.

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The ECAC also just wasn't very good when Moore played in it. You had Harvard and Cornell and no one else. St. Lawrence was good at the time as well, but that's not saying much. The ECAC was largely hot garbage and any guy with some skill could do well in it.

Highlighting Moore's stats as something to do with Barron is just odd and lacks insight into college hockey (particularly the ECAC) at the time.

Hey now

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Barron is the type of player much like Gauthier that the Rangers forwards were lacking. Guys who use size, strength, speed and play a simple game where they get the puck to the net. I saw some flashes from Gauthier where I thought he could be a real good forward. It's a shame Quinn isn't committed to the rebuild with his forwards and refuses to play young offensive f0rwards with better vet talent. One can only hope when Kakko and Chytil mature that players like Gauthier and Barron can have a better chance to play with talent instead of being put on a line that gets 8 minutes a night.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I would be ok with Barron having a nieuwendyk like nhl career.

so you are setting the bar at 3-time cup winner, calder trophy winner, conn smythe winner, 500+ goals, 1100+ points and a hall of famer....and you'd be just 'ok' with barron matching that LOL

Reactions: Inferno

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
so you are setting the bar at 3-time cup winner, calder trophy winner, conn smythe winner, 500+ goals, 1100+ points and a hall of famer....and you'd be just 'ok' with barron matching that LOL

You'd be OK with that? You should be over the moon.

It was pretty clear sarcasm there

If we get a Nieuwendyk our of Morgan Barron it would be one of the best draft picks in the history of NYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad