Proposal: Montreal - Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I don’t understand the logic behind the Habs trading their best Goalie prospect that theoretically steps in to replace Price in a few years and take back waiver fodder in Hutchinson

so they can acquire a fairly useless asset like Ritchie? Weird concept

If the basic idea was the get Chariot then just do him for the 2nd

I can understand what the OP was thinking though...

- Montreal should trade Chiarot for a 2nd.
- Leafs can't afford to take on Chiarot's $3.5m unless Holl & Ritchie go the other way.
- Montreal would gladly take on Holl & Ritchie, but realize they're not going to get Holl, Ritchie & a 2nd for Chiarot.
- So, fire in Adam Brooks (to replace Ritchie on the Leafs roster), and do the Hutchninson-Primeau swap to try and make up for the value difference.

Ultimately, all of these pieces make the deal far too convoluted, and require / ask the Leafs to do things that they likely don't want to do (ditch Ritchie, give up one of their 3 remaining picks).

The concept of Holl <-> Chiarot does make some sort of sense given that Holl has an extra year on the deal, and Chiarot is probably a little better right now... but it requires the Habs to place a pretty substantial value on Holl's extra year, as from a Leaf standpoint, all you can really do is Chiarot at $1.5m - $1.75m retained for Holl plus a 2023 3rd and/or a prospect.

To the average fan on hfboards, a 2022 2nd at the deadline is probably more appealing, Montreal may look at the fact that they've got a bunch of picks already this year, so want to turn things around sooner than that.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Both teams are giving up things that they shouldn't be, while acquiring things they don't need.

Bad proposal.
Took the words right out of my mouth, but hey…least it gives the leafs and anti-leafs fans something to bicker about on a slow Monday :popcorn:

Reactions: banks

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
- Don't think the Leafs can afford to part with their 2nd round draft pick at this point in the year.
- Don't think the Leafs are prepared to give up on Nick Ritchie just yet.

Yes we are. I am in fact begging someone to take him from us.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal Canadiens
Michael Hutchinson
Nick Ritchie
Justin Holl
Leafs’ second-round draft pick of 2022

Toronto Maple Leafs
Ben Chiarot
Cayden Primeau
Adam Brooks
the fact that Hutch is included in the deal is a win for the Leafs. ...but, this is really bad for MTL

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Yes we are. I am in fact begging someone to take him from us.

Didn't realize the Leafs had parts of their management team on hfboards....

Reality is, Ritchie has always been horribly inconsistent and the team knew that before signing him to a 2-year deal. He's played 12 games -- 15% of the season. It's hardly enough of a sample size to know that they don't want him on the team. It's also a situation where they know they need physicality for the playoffs, and he's one of the few guys up front that can bring it.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
I can understand what the OP was thinking though...

- Montreal should trade Chiarot for a 2nd.
- Leafs can't afford to take on Chiarot's $3.5m unless Holl & Ritchie go the other way.
- Montreal would gladly take on Holl & Ritchie, but realize they're not going to get Holl, Ritchie & a 2nd for Chiarot.
- So, fire in Adam Brooks (to replace Ritchie on the Leafs roster), and do the Hutchninson-Primeau swap to try and make up for the value difference.

Ultimately, all of these pieces make the deal far too convoluted, and require / ask the Leafs to do things that they likely don't want to do (ditch Ritchie, give up one of their 3 remaining picks).

The concept of Holl <-> Chiarot does make some sort of sense given that Holl has an extra year on the deal, and Chiarot is probably a little better right now... but it requires the Habs to place a pretty substantial value on Holl's extra year, as from a Leaf standpoint, all you can really do is Chiarot at $1.5m - $1.75m retained for Holl plus a 2023 3rd and/or a prospect.

To the average fan on hfboards, a 2022 2nd at the deadline is probably more appealing, Montreal may look at the fact that they've got a bunch of picks already this year, so want to turn things around sooner than that.

I can accept everything in your logic until the part where we just throw in a Primeau/Hutch swap to even value…there are plenty of ways to even value without taking a piece that would leave the cupboards dry at that position for that team.

it would be like someone using the logic that as a near NHL ready prospect a year or 2 ago, Sandin should have been swapped for an AHL tweeners Dman to offset A swap of forwards…saying the value is even doesn’t make the trade a logical one

and I’d argue that Ritchie doesn’t much, if any value, Holl might, Ritchie I don’t think so

something closer to Chariot + 4th for Holl + 2nd is closer to fair value if you need to send Salary back, i didn’t check the cap, so if just Holl isn’t enough and that’s why Ritchie is included then include him but I don’t see why MTL would pay to get him included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad