Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
90 percent of NHL teams could cry the same blues.

What's the biggest FA signing in Lightning history? What about the Sharks?
Top end players willingly waiver to most US markets.

Mark Stone would only waive to low tax southern US markets w VGK being preference because his junior GM was AGM

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Top end players willingly waiver to most US markets.

Mark Stone would only waive to low tax southern US markets w VGK being preference because his junior GM was AGM

Top end players will willingly waiver to most teams that can contend.

Again, if you want to talk about an Ottawa or a Winnipeg (or Columbus), teams that have a well-documented history of struggling with retaining players (and even Columbus managed to snag Gaudreau) then sure, I can see it. But applying it to Montreal is just plain silly for reasons I've demonstrated. No team ever hits on each target. I don't even recall the last time a player requested a trade from here for reasons that had to do with the city or the market and I've been a fan for over twenty years.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Wouldn't that apply to just about every player that has spent their career in the US, so long as they play long enough to hit FA status?

Your entire argument strikes me as extremely convoluted and going in a million of bizarre directions.
Euro players can’t use luxury of bonus structure to their benefit, because tax treaty with US either doesn’t exists or Euro nations want their $$, also many don’t allow multiple citizenship (Switzerland) so many Euro players are on work visas and not US resident (green card or citizen)

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Top end players will willingly waiver to most teams that can contend.

Again, if you want to talk about an Ottawa or a Winnipeg (or Columbus), teams that have a well-documented history of struggling with retaining players (and even Columbus managed to snag Gaudreau) then sure, I can see it. But applying it to Montreal is just plain silly for reasons I've demonstrated. No team ever hits on each target. I don't even recall the last time a player requested a trade from here for reasons that had to do with the city or the market and I've been a fan for over twenty years.
Agreed but once there’s any competition from a low tax non traditional hockey market or NY, Cdn teams never end up getting said player, and I have yet to see an established top end player agree to waive trade clause for a Cdn market.

As Gord Miller repeatedly states, it’s well known throughout the league players simply don’t want to play in a Cdn market for a variety of reasons

But I wholeheartedly agree, Habs / Cdn teams in general don’t have much issue keeping their players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Looks like we are going to sign the non Americans. Welcome back.... Monahan! Would love to see it but this time, on a 3 or 4 year deal. If this actually happens, I hope we are able to unload both Armia and Dvorak. Anderson too but difficult after the season he just had.

Monahan's physical strength fits our team needs. He likes Montreal and the players/fans like him too. Make it happen

Reactions: 26Mats

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would you do this and would the Ducks consider it? Are we overpaying? What is the difference between Newhook and Zegras?

Newhook, Jets 1st, and Barron?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Would you do this and would the Ducks consider it? Are we overpaying? What is the difference between Newhook and Zegras?

Newhook, Jets 1st, and Barron?
No. Newhook will be similar in value to Zegras. Trade does nothing but exchange forwards. Need to add forwards without giving up any of the top 6.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I Could only guess the forward situation.
Sign: Monahan
Trade: Anderson, Dvorak, Ylonen
Draft: Helenius (Starts in the AHL and is called up if ready)

Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Monahan-Dach-Helenius
Roy-Newhook-Armia
RHP/Pezz-Evans-Gallagher

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Looks like we are going to sign the non Americans. Welcome back.... Monahan! Would love to see it but this time, on a 3 or 4 year deal. If this actually happens, I hope we are able to unload both Armia and Dvorak. Anderson too but difficult after the season he just had.

Monahan's physical strength fits our team needs. He likes Montreal and the players/fans like him too. Make it happen
I don't want to sign Money unless it's extremely team friendly, short term (2 years max) and he only plays on the 3rd line and PP time if we do.

Great team guy but time it catching up. Has looked overwhelmed this playoffs because he can't keep up to the Oilers and it's only going downhill from here.

I'd like to see what other options present themselves before looking his way.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I really hope they don't do this.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
But I wholeheartedly agree, Habs / Cdn teams in general don’t have much issue keeping their players.
Can we not make the same argument about almost every team, with the proviso being so long as the player was drafted and developed by the given team or obtained while in his early years.

We've seen it with Caufield and Suzuki. Dach was signed for 4 years and and might have been more if not for his injuries. I think we'll start seeing the same trend with key members of their D-corps.

It becomes more difficult to bring them in once they have families, have established themselves in another community or are coming from a weather-favorable city.

Reactions: Benstheman

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No. Newhook will be similar in value to Zegras. Trade does nothing but exchange forwards. Need to add forwards without giving up any of the top 6.
I don't want to give up Newhook. But if you think Zegras will hit a certain ceiling that is higher than Newhook's, that is a good trade to make. I just don't think the Ducks would make that trade.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

drake-lil-durk_1_piufei.jpg

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I wonder if he'll delete this tweet when Stamkos signs an extension tomorrow lol.
Or when Matheson remains on PP1.

Seriously though, I do believe St. Louis and Lecavalier are on great terms with Stamkos. Steven will definitely text them when he signs with his next team and will invite them to drop into his home for coffee when they are in town.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I Could only guess the forward situation.
Sign: Monahan
Trade: Anderson, Dvorak, Ylonen
Draft: Helenius (Starts in the AHL and is called up if ready)

Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Monahan-Dach-Helenius
Roy-Newhook-Armia
RHP/Pezz-Evans-Gallagher
Why does that not slightly excite me as a lineup?

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,010.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $110.00