Speculation: Montreal inquiring about Beauviller

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Well, the whole rumor, if not intended merely as a clickbait for Habs fans, seems to me like just routine work from both GMs. Lou is in contract negotiations with Beauvillier, so he's hedging his bets if he can't get a deal he wants. Bergevin is perhaps playing off that.

What would make sense? I don't know. I'm not sure if Beauvillier could be considered a core player for the Habs going forward. They have much more serious needs on the blueline and at center (assuming Danault walks) if they want to properly sorround Suzuki/Caufield. So all this just seems like a waste of time.

But let's assume the Habs see Beauvillier as their second best winger in the future, so a core player of sorts. Maybe a 1st rd pick this year, if Lou wants to clear salary? Maybe Toffoli with some retention for Beauvillier + pick or prospect? It would give the Isles more offensive punch for their contention window and again, open up some cap space. But then again, what message does it send to UFAs if the Habs were to trade Toffoli before the 2nd year of his sweetheart deal?

Again, I think it's just a waste of time.

I agree. The Isles cleared about 11M in cap this week so we should be able to sign our RFA's, plus maybe a big add if Eberle or Bailey is selected by SEA - we shouldn't have any issue signing Beau. If Bergevin were to offer sheet him something we couldn't afford, it would likely be at the top end of the 1st + 3rd bracket which makes 0 sense for anyone involved.

If it's a hockey deal and Bergevin comes around offering Toffoli, Lou probably cites Toffoli's massive spike in shooting %, age difference, and contract status and asks for an add on MTL's end, whether we agree or not. Don't really see any other way something could make sense for the Isles - so I agree, probably best to ignore

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Habs are going to be linked to a ton of French players with Danault and Drouin both likely gone.

I think they'll grab Savard to play on the third pair with Romanov and get a top 4 guy to play with chiarot (Schmidt, OEL, Hamilton, etc) and run a balanced dcore while also providing their French local.

Getting Hamilton AND Savard would make this one of the best D in the league.

Chiarot-Hamilton
Edmunston-Petry
Romanov-Savard

Lot of capspace on D (8.5+ for Hamilton, 5+ for Savard) however, but crazy deep. Just solid.

I don't see it happening, lol.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think this is a misconception that needs to be clarified.

Many Habs fans were happy when we acquired Drouin not because he's French Canadian. We were happy because he was a French Canadian and a potential impact forward.

Well I was tongue in cheek with the post, but let's be honest...Montreal is not allowed to hire a non-French speaking coach. There's a core group of Habs fans that have a serious hardon for French-Canadien players and will drool as the prospect of acquiring one. I legit wouldn't be surprised if Pagnotta tweeted out Habs interest in Beauvillier just to get hits.

As for the Drouin deal...Lots of people said he was a dead fish while on Tampa. The moment that trade went down you knew it was going to be ugly - Both for what was given up and what was acquired. And to wrap it up with the paragraph above...I'm not sure Bergevin makes that deal if he's GM of another team.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
We have no more

Danault is gone and Drouin’s probably played his last game with the habs, perhaps in the NHL
I know. I was more referring to the fact that most French Canadian players' names get linked to us every trade deadline at one point and in some form or another.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Perhaps a better deal will be if Seattle does not select Dunn from St. Louis, Blue can trade Dunn +??? for Beau to replace lost production from Tarasenko who will be moved to another team for a physical 2nd pairing LHD. Dunn may be the most ideal candidate for a long term Leddy replacement due to their similar style and skill set and will be more valuable to Isles than Blues.

Or perhaps for some odd reason Seattle select both Bailey and Dunn on Wednesday then they may be tempted to acquire Beau to form 2/3 of the former Isles killer Bee line or they can flip Beau to Habs for picks or a young center who no longer fit in their future plan??? Isles can potentially resign Dunn cheaper than Beau as the latter had contributed more in the playoff over last two seasons. The only question is how much Seattle values Dunn and if they have better options to fill out those roles via ED or trades.

Many possibility how this may turn out.

Isles fans and Nelson of course will freak out about losing both Bailey and Beau in the same year unless Landy or another big name top 6 winger agrees to sign with Isles at 7.5M x 7 or less with signing bonus.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs USA
    France vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Canada
    Norway vs Canada
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $501.00