Montreal Impact Thread XLIII - Las Venegas edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NelloMello

May 10, 2013
Pierrefonds
Guys. If St-Ambroise wants to leave for Europe do we let him go or do we offer him a DP contract hoping it's gonna convince him to stay?

I'm not familiar with him. Who is he? Local? Unless you're talking about Oyongo.
If that's the case, I would let him go and take the money and build from there.
The key here is to not get attached to players like we do in hockey. They come and go. So yes, let him go, it's his wish to someday play in Europe.

Last edited:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
You know I love you, but I have to completely disagree with you on that one. If you have a great n.9 and n.10 that aren't DPs, why would would you avoid getting help where you need it? Just because it's not a sexy DP position? It all depends on the cast you have imo.

If (example) we were 1 left back away from being contenders with an empty DP slot, than hell yeah you fill that ***** up and you go get the best left back you can find. Oyongo is versatile on the field, can play both wing back positions and has the best 1st touch on the team, if a DP tag is what is needed to keep him, I would give it to him. The same goes with Ciman obviously.

I would agree with you but I don't believe you can have that much success in MLS without a n9 and/or n10 DPs... and even if they are great and not DPs, I would believe they would become DPs on their new contracts..

... well unless your team is coached by Ben Olsen

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I missed the second half but 25 shots attempts against ONE? That's crazy. Especially since that was without Ciman and Drogba.

Seeing Miller in the highlights with 3 golden chances was... surprising.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
If I had money to invest on 3 DPs I'd put them on a no.8, no.10 or a winger and a striker.

Pretty much what we have but with a DP CM.

We need a new thread and new title.

Last edited:

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Ok I've just witnessed the weirdest start in the history of the game :laugh:

Chad Barrett score in the 1st minute of the game against the Galaxy and pulls his hamstring celebrating...

Makes sense lol, tuned in to the game, saw Barrett scored, then next thing I see is him in training clothes on a bench without a drop of sweat on his body. I was so confused lmao

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
If I had money to invest on 3 DPs I'd put them on a no.8, no.10 or a winger and a striker.

Pretty much what we have but with a DP CM.

We need a new thread and new title.
Duh, you and the rest of the planet think that way, but that wasn't my point. Say we had a team that had Dom Dwyer and Mauro Diaz (dropped down salary via allocation $) Obviously we wouldn't invest on a n.9 or n.10 right? If we had a terrible left back and a DP slot open, why wouldn't we invest on what the current team needs?

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Duh, you and the rest of the planet think that way, but that wasn't my point. Say we had a team that had Dom Dwyer and Mauro Diaz (dropped down salary via allocation $) Obviously we wouldn't invest on a n.9 or n.10 right? If we had a terrible left back and a DP slot open, why wouldn't we invest on what the current team needs?

Cause Oyongo will only be here for 1 more season, two max. By the time he leaves, Piatti and even maybe Drogba will still be here. That leaves us with only one DP spot open for the time Ambroise will be in MTL. I'd rather keep it open incase a great opportunity arrives rather than having to say no to that opportunity because we've used the DP slot on a LB who will be leaving soon anyways. Not worth DP tagging him for 1 extra season. You give DP spots to players you have hopes on keeping, Zusi, Gonzalez etc... We have absolutely no hope on keeping Ambroise. He knows that MTL is only a stopgap for him

To answer that last part: Because you can find players like Toia, who aren't DP's, and do the job extremely well. En anglais c'est Cost-Benefit approach. Is it worth it paying 500k more for a LB when you can get one for 85k that does the job, but less slightly less well? Not in my books

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Cause Oyongo will only be here for 1 more season, two max. By the time he leaves, Piatti and even maybe Drogba will still be here. That leaves us with only one DP spot open for the time Ambroise will be in MTL. I'd rather keep it open incase a great opportunity arrives rather than having to say no to that opportunity because we've used the DP slot on a LB who will be leaving soon anyways. Not worth DP tagging him for 1 extra season. You give DP spots to players you have hopes on keeping, Zusi, Gonzalez etc... We have absolutely no hope on keeping Ambroise. He knows that MTL is only a stopgap for him
I don't know man. Oyongo is already 24 years old. Unless a level 1 team offers him a contract, why would he leave? He's able to play every single game in a market where he can speak his language, with Didier Drogba.

Edit: I wasn't necesseraly talking about Oyongo though, just the idea of adding a DP that plays a corridor.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
I don't know man. Oyongo is already 24 years old. Unless a level 1 team offers him a contract, why would he leave? He's able to play every single game in a market where he can speak his language, with Didier Drogba.

I see what you're trying to say, but with the way he's playing, he's almost certainly going to get a offer from a first division european team. Before he even joined NYRB and still never played for Cameroon, he almost signed with Lille in Ligue 1. Since then, he has progressed greatly as a player, is a Cameroonian international, and payed in the African Cup of Nations. If he got a contract offer when he was a "nobody", surely he's going to get a contract with the way he's playing now.

Edit: To answer to your edit, if let's say a 26 year old a la Giovinco became available at LB/RB, I would consider it yes. A player who is coming from Europe and is coming to the MLS to get more minutes in an effort to regain his spot in the national team, I would listen. But he would have to be very proficient in creating offense or as a defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad