OT: Montreal Impact thread: Tha Isolated Market Of MLS... Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I just found out that Canada won the gold cup in 2000 : 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Wikipedia

Absolutely love wikipedia for everything sports related.

Funny thing is that Canada and South Korea were tied on every single tie breaker in the group stages. The final tie breaker was a coin toss and that’s what was used lol. We then had to beat Mexico, T&T and finally Columbia. That was huge. Never knew Canada was good at soccer once

I don't know if they were really that good, lucky or all other teams were bad :laugh:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Who is that?

I don't know who that is. But I came across it on Twitter. And the part I find funny is he is the coach/manager of the team the person who posted this plays for.

It reminds me a lot of my coach when I was in my mid-teens. He was the best coach I ever had. Great with kids and we were one of the best teams in the league. But if he got dressed and played, he was as bad as they get.

Reactions: ArtPeur

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I don't know who that is. But I came across it on Twitter. And the part I find funny is he is the coach/manager of the team the person who posted this plays for.

It reminds me a lot of my coach when I was in my mid-teens. He was the best coach I ever had. Great with kids and we were one of the best teams in the league. But if he got dressed and played, he was as bad as they get.

That's a classic in Québec, coach has never played the game. Most of them don't know what the hell they're talking about but you get the odd good one every now and then. My first paid Head Coach in hockey was in Midget Espoir, and it was the first time I was selected for a level above house league. All the other ones were parents or people close to the Minor hockey heads. Now I was fortunate, more than half the years I played I had decent coaches, that could not skate much but at least they were nice with the kids but a lot are not that lucky. I also had the chance to go in a Sport-Études program in high school under a QMJHL coach (Judes Vallée), which not all families can afford unfortunately.

That's why the academy is great for developing talent, all the coaches are paid and are competent. In Minor hockey? Not so much. They need to remedy that situation by making it 100% school-based and hire a bunch of former QMJHL/ECHL/AHL players that have a Bachelor's in Phys. Ed. Right now it's full of shady moves, corruption and relationship-biased decisions.

/hockeyrant

Very good point brought up here, IMFC was one of the worst in the league at stopping free-kick attempts, now they're amongst the best. Garde has really solidified the defensive block. Now, À l'attaque Rémi!

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
That's a classic in Québec, coach has never played the game. Most of them don't know what the hell they're talking about but you get the odd good one every now and then. My first paid Head Coach in hockey was in Midget Espoir, and it was the first time I was selected for a level above house league. All the other ones were parents or people close to the Minor hockey heads. Now I was fortunate, more than half the years I played I had decent coaches, that could not skate much but at least they were nice with the kids but a lot are not that lucky. I also had the chance to go in a Sport-Études program in high school under a QMJHL coach (Judes Vallée), which not all families can afford unfortunately.

That's why the academy is great for developing talent, all the coaches are paid and are competent. In Minor hockey? Not so much. They need to remedy that situation by making it 100% school-based and hire a bunch of former QMJHL/ECHL/AHL players that have a Bachelor's in Phys. Ed. Right now it's full of shady moves, corruption and relationship-biased decisions.

/hockeyrant

Very good point brought up here, IMFC was one of the worst in the league at stopping free-kick attempts, now they're amongst the best. Garde has really solidified the defensive block. Now, À l'attaque Rémi!

Going from boneheaded Ciman and Cabrera to actual defenders in Diallo and Raitala definitely helped

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Going from boneheaded Ciman and Cabrera to actual defenders in Diallo and Raitala definitely helped

Cabrera hate in '19 is getting old. He is a good luck charm, we rarely lose when he plays. Better distributor than Diallo & Camacho imo. He's our only CB enfoncer. In today's world you need them.

USA lost 3-0 to Venezuela earlier, 1-0 to Jamaica last week. I hope the anti Jozy-Bradley US Fans wake up and stop acting like they've got better options. If Canada had either of those players we would qualify every cycle :laugh: There's a friendly tonight agains Trinidad.

I said this on the Copa America thread but if you have no team/neutral and wanna follow this Copa America, go watch Venezuela or Peru, they won't win it but the amount of young talents they have is astonishing. Uruguay will win it I'm 90% sure. They have an easy group, have no match; Suarez, Cavani, Muslera, Lodeiro, Caceres on their last international hurrah. 8% is on Brazil and 2% is on Colombia even though the coach is an idiot who rather picked an unkown over Yimmy Chara and Morelos.

As for the Gold cup, teams to watch out for, I think Jamaica will surprise many people as well as Haiti who lost 2-1 to Chile and Curacao who have a bunch of Division 1 player. El Savador-Honduras will be epic and Costa Rica will be without Navas. The great news for Canada is that It's Mexico C+ squad (no Chucky, Vela, Corona, Giovani, Fabian, Herrera, Layun, Lainez, Chicharito) I mean cmon, you can beat this team.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Cabrera hate in '19 is getting old. He is a good luck charm, we rarely lose when he plays. Better distributor than Diallo & Camacho imo. He's our only CB enfoncer. In today's world you need them.

He's better than Camacho, but Diallo has a much better vision and line-breaking capability than Cabrera. As for the enforcer role, I hear Yao is quite the beast physically and enjoys confronting forwards. He'll probably be loaned out, but it might the first big lad the academy has produced on defense (Lefèvre, Meilleur-Giguère, Ouimette) and Garde seems to like him. He's a totally different specimen.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
Cabrera played fullback on our historic CCL run right?

I’d definitely try him on LB one time. We have Sagna/ZBG on the right which is fine, but Lovitz on the left is either good or very bad

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
He's better than Camacho, but Diallo has a much better vision and line-breaking capability than Cabrera. As for the enforcer role, I hear Yao is quite the beast physically and enjoys confronting forwards. He'll probably be loaned out, but it might the first big lad the academy has produced on defense (Lefèvre, Meilleur-Giguère, Ouimette) and Garde seems to like him. He's a totally different specimen.

Meh, I find Diallo awkward, slow to react, he tries too hard at times. alot of goals conceeded are on him. He would do better as DM. He plays like one anyway. He's good enough for sure but he's old and an international, we can do better next year finding a domestic player + upgrade (tim Ream, Matt Miazga, Manjekrar James). International CBs gotta be Fanni good. Guys like Drew Moor and Gonzalez are better to Diallo &both domestic.

I stopped believing in Academy products since 2015... 5 years later still unimpressed. You on the other hand you always believe in them for some reason.

They all got major flaws whether it's low IQ, poor fitness level, fragile mentally. The only one who seemed complete was JGL but for some reason he disappeared under Biello. He was so composed on the ball, vision and flair which is VERY rare in this league amongst DMs.

So this Yao guy never heard of him but definitely won't have my rose tinted glasses on this one...

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

The ladies completely dominated Cameroun but they get a short 1-0 victory. It still is quite funny to me that they dive 100 times less than the men, it really puts a black eye to the men players. They play the way soccer should be played.

Should be a fun tournament.:thumbu:

true, but Cameroon was diving all night - especially their striker #7. what a f***ing clown show. She was eventually warned by the ref after falling needlessly for the 10th time and complaining. you know how it's a dive>? her arms were up in the air complaining before her ass even hit the grass

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
We can complain about a lot of things with the Impact, but the DPs were actually quite good.

Di Vaio, Piatti, Drogba, Dzemaili, Taider.

The sole miss was Bernadello lol
Bernardello was decent at what he did in his defense, it just wasn't something that needed to be done via DP . You can get a good MLS level defensive mid for much less if you don't suck at scouting.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Wow the Vidéotron TV deal is top 5 in MLS?!

I'm honestly not surprised. MLS TV rights are really cheap right now. Very few teams have 'national' deals and garner enough interest to sell the rights on its own. Off the top of my head, LAG, Atlanta, NYRB/NYCFC are probably in front of IMFC. LAFC sold their rights before the first season to YoutubeTV, but I don't know if it was a lucrative deal. TVASports wanted to buy all content away from RDS so they might have overpaid. I don't think the IMFC deal is good per se, but that overall MLS TV rights are really cheap.

For those who didn't see the google translate tweet by Canadasoccer lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad