Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadiens Sign Paul Byron to 4-Year Extension ($3.4M AAV)

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I was hoping they’d trade him not knowing he’d take a discount. This is a great contract. 20 goals, elite PKer.

And good for him after being waived. He deserves it.
Hell yes! In Montreal of all places!

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
That's a surprisingly very team friendly deal, he could have had more if he tested the market next summer. He must really want to stay in Montreal, which is fine by me, he's an easy player to like. I'm not all that convinced he would have fetched close to what he's worth trade wise anyway, we might as well keep him.

Reactions: Shad

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
That's a surprisingly very team friendly deal, he could have had more if he tested the market next summer. He must really want to stay in Montreal, which is fine by me, he's an easy player to like. I'm not all that convinced he would have fetched close to what he's worth trade wise, we might as well keep him.
It's understandable considering the huge opportunity the team gave him.

Reactions: BLONG7

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Thought he’d want a similar deal to Shaw’s so I think this is a very solid contract. Happy he gets rewarded for the last two years, the guy never takes a shift off and he’s a good role model for the younger guys.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I’m not so sure Byron would get that much more on the open market.

Obviously we are all speculating, but he doesn’t seem like a player who other GMs get excited about. Small guys are constantly having to prove themselves.

I love the player, but I was stunned he wasn’t dealt at the deadline last year.

Reactions: Redux91

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Reactions: Tighthead

sholi2000

No One Gets Left Behind
May 26, 2013
Brandon, MB
www.sholi2000.com
Outstanding deal for a player everyone loves (fans, teammates). This guy was UFA next summer which gets you next to nothing at the trade deadline. Now he's signed, will most likely produce well above his pay which makes him extremely valuable to all teams, not just deadline teams who are teams who make the playoffs and give up late first and second rounders.

Nice work Marc.

Looking for a 1987 Christian USA right handed stick. Thanks

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

I like the no NTC part, gives us flexibility for a potential trade. Didn't see this coming at all, I love Byron as much as everyone else but I absolutely thought he was a goner at the TDL. Well deserved for him, though.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Just what we needed, signing another winger! He won't even be around in 3-4 years! Should have been dealt this TDL! Too many damn wingers around here....expect the unexpected!

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Said it many times, Byron was going to get a long extenstion. I actually woulf have gone 5 years. Great deal at 3.4m. Pleasantly surprised. Another good move by MB.

All you people saying we were and should trade him at the deadline. :sarcasm:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Too much term for a bottom six player, would have rather traded him for picks/prospects. Our next DD?

What has he shown that makes him a bottom 6 player? He’s a key contributor to the team.

And it’s no longer the 90s. You need a good Top 9 to succeed. There’s no more spots where you can hide plugs and succeed.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I can understand fans not liking this contract and the missed assets if he were traded this season but I have no problems with this well deserved contract. The guy gives his all and doesn't take a shift off. He's also great on the PK plus he'll be a very good influence for the young players coming to the Habs team in the next few years. As long as he can keep his best asset which is his speed he'll continue to be an effective NHL player.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I’m not so sure Byron would get that much more on the open market.

Obviously we are all speculating, but he doesn’t seem like a player who other GMs get excited about. Small guys are constantly having to prove themselves.

I love the player, but I was stunned he wasn’t dealt at the deadline last year.
Grabner got 3.35M after a bad showing in NJ and they're pretty similar.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Outstanding deal for a player everyone loves (fans, teammates). This guy was UFA next summer which gets you next to nothing at the trade deadline. Now he's signed, will most likely produce well above his pay which makes him extremely valuable to all teams, not just deadline teams who are teams who make the playoffs and give up late first and second rounders.

Nice work Marc.

Looking for a 1987 Christian USA right handed stick. Thanks
That's factually incorrect.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Looks like this jersey will last me a few more years :yo:

QGmLpkN.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad