HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Ops - Part 2

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
This was one of my favourite interviews that Kent has done yet. Some interesting tidbits I picked up on:

- Pittsburgh reached out to him before to ask if he would interview for the GM Job
- He rejected Geoff Gorton a few times, but it took Geoff telling him he didn't know himself well enough to start going through the GM recruitment process
- Marty St. Louis is important for selling the idea of what the organization wants to do and help the fanbase be patient through the rebuild
- He says if starting from scratch, the most important role to build around would be goaltending if goaltending could be predictable, but because it's so hard to predict goaltender performance game to game and year to year, the philosophy is centers or defense
- Development is not something reserved for prospects, players in the AHL or young guys. Everyone can improve their game and thats why they've invested so heavily in development. He said many players get complacent about their development in their careers, but that Montreal wants them to focus on growing their game at any stage of their career (paraphrasing that last part)
- He shared a couple great stories about Luc Bourdon and Matt Lombardi being drafted
From the same interview, I think, one of the things I appreciate the most about this management (and there is a lot to like).

"That’s on me to be able to share the vision and get them to buy into it and want to be part of it," he says about rebuilding plan.

Kent isn't interested in excuses. He isn't going to complain that free agents don't want to come here, that we have Canadian dollars, that the taxes are too high, that the weather is bad, that the French language exists, that there is too much fan and media pressure, that good players aren't available to trade for, and so on...

Instead he is always thinking positively and trying to sell the team, the city and the environment they are building to all the players in the league. Of course, it helps that he already has a successful career behind him and is more interested in cementing his legacy than saving his job and reputation, should things not pan out.

No need to believe in self fulfilling prophecies to know which approach is the better one.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
So in 3 drafts, KH has added 5 first round prospects...
Slaf, Demidov, Hage, Mesar, Reinbabcher

And, turned 2 other first round picks into Dach & Newhook, both recent first rounders.

7 first round talents added to the organization in 3 drafts, just 2 1/2 years into a GMs tenure.

Plus added as many as 6 other prospects with legit shots at being first round talents from their draft class in a re-draft 5 years later (Beck, Hutson, Engstrom, Konyuskov, Fowler, Xhekaj).

This is what "build through the draft" actually looks like.

I wonder if Bargainbin is watching this unfold and taking notes 😂
Considering that Edmundson contract the Kings gave, I think the answer is no ;)

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
why do i have a feeling that Burrows left because he was getting threats over the powerplay and this is Montreal's nice way of avoiding it? Hope I am wrong.

Montreal opted-in to keep him as an assistant then opted-in again to keep him as a consultant. If anything they wanted to keep him around.

And if Burrows or whoever is getting threats about anything they shouldn't just stay silent about it... Because it's not okay in any way, shape or form and "avoiding it" just allows the mouthbreathers doing it to roams freely and switch target.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Just proves the seriousness of the administration. Great to have somebody in Europe. As far as Burrows is concerned, frankly, he'll be better suited in that role as well. Even if that's not a decision from management....good things happen to good people...lol

Agreed, a breeze of fresh air. More hands on the field can only be good especially with the amount of players we have in those leagues.

Maybe it’s too much to ask but I hope some journalists will try to get in contact with Lauri and pick his brains a bit. He seems to have the same role as Bouillon but in Europe.

We often get some small tidbits from Bouillon about young players when he gets interviewed and hopefully we get the same from Korpikoski on European prospects.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Agreed, a breeze of fresh air. More hands on the field can only be good especially with the amount of players we have in those leagues.

Maybe it’s too much to ask but I hope some journalists will try to get in contact with Lauri and pick his brains a bit. He seems to have the same role as Bouillon but in Europe.

We often get some small tidbits from Bouillon about young players when he gets interviewed and hopefully we get the same from Korpikoski on European prospects.
Seems like this is exactly what it is. As for Burrows, he'll be a liaison of sorts between Laval and Montreal, making sure the coaching strategies are consistant, etc.

Reactions: NewDef

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I strongly suggest that fans who consistently want Montreal to dump Anderson/Gallagher NOW use their imperfect cap relief calculator so they realize what saving Molson money may actually cost.
Now is not the year. From TDL though... my oh my, that summer will read like a Kardashian soap

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Regarding Burrows, don't forget that right after he retired, he went straight into coaching, becoming Bouchard's assistant in Laval. Then got called up after Habs fired Julien and Muller.

He never stopped. So it makes plenty sense for him to take a role that will permit him to be less busy and be with the family more.

As Hughes said, he lives an hour away and sometimes wouldn't go back home after games because it was too late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad