HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Ops - Part 2

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
Dwell on Michkov and Mesar/Kulich all you want and former NYR draft blunder... it is so insignificant in the grand scheme of things when this front office has bring in :

Slafkovsky
Hutson
Dach
Beck
Reinbacher
Newhook
Fowler
Demidov
Hage

Demidov and Slafkovsky are potential franchise talent.

Dach, Hage are potential top 6 RH C.

Reinbacher top pair RD.

Hutson blue chip PMD.

Potential starting goalie.

I mean, our rebuild is massive and going in the f***ing right direction. Its incredible.

I haver never witnessed that much talent in the Habs.

And we still have 2x 1st, 2x 2nd next year to cook.

Let that sink in

Its not about being a HuGo bootlickers or a management cuck, but simply to recognise that we have extremely competent and influential people at the helm of our team.
I’ve been guilty of that, but this year’s 1st round has swung my opinion by a lot. I’m now looking forward to (as opposed to dreading) what they do next drafting wise.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't know about Laval but I wonder if Plecky would come over for Letowski.
First order of business fix our atrociously passive PK.
It's incredible to think Edmonton can play a balls to the wall PK in the SC Finals but we are afraid of even trying it in a season(s) of development.
You can't convince me their players are collectively much quicker than ours.

Maybe he could also give Marty a dose of reality when it comes to concepts and or our Man v Man D strategy.
I mean do it selectively perhaps but all the time with our roster.
:help:

Man to man just won the cup.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Man to man just won the cup.
Their man to man when they did use it because no way in hell was it every shift was the product of a proper 5 man system.
I saw a ton of handing off going on and not once did I see them getting picked like we continually did.
I'm not completely down on the system.
It's the idea of putting the system in place with lesser players and expecting good results is what irks me.
Not many hockey people liked that system.

Reactions: Gustave

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Their man to man when they did use it because no way in hell was it every shift was the product of a proper 5 man system.
I saw a ton of handing off going on and not once did I see them getting picked like we continually did.
It's the idea of putting the system in place with lesser players and expecting good results is what irks me.

You're right about the lesser players, it's probably too much for the current group due to its inexperience. However, no team does strict man to man anymore and it's a system that brought 3 cups and 5 finals to Florida in recent years.

Reactions: Gustave

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You're right about the lesser players, it's probably too much for the current group due to its inexperience. However, no team does strict man to man anymore and it's a system that brought 3 cups and 5 finals to Florida in recent years.
I said as much when the whole concepts idea came to the fore.
Once we get the holes filled it will be fun to watch. It's not necessarily our D that was the problem.
We had a ton of forwards looking dazed. Josh Anderson was probably the worst one of the bunch.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I said as much when the whole concepts idea came to the fore.
Once we get the holes filled it will be fun to watch. It's not necessarily our D that was the problem.
We had a ton of forwards looking dazed. Josh Anderson was probably the worst one of the bunch.

Can't argue there.

My thinking is they probably don't mind the growing pains and they're likely not teaching the system to guys like Anderson or Gallagher, but rather Suzuki, Dach, Caufield so they're ready once the roster has more talent. I thought the team made significant strides in their team play during the second half, so something is starting to work. But I agree it can be frustrating watching a team like Edmonton look like the peak Blackhawks so quickly after firing their coach in comparison.

durojean

May 29, 2007
The man to man is a way for the Habs to develop our players. They want their D to make decisions, to read the flow of the game and to find the solutions themself.

The more our D will be talented the less the puck will be on our zone and the less we will be exposed.

Our D right now is learning how to react when the system is broken. When we will be ready, I suspect we will start to see more structure. The time is not now.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The man to man is a way for the Habs to develop our players. They want their D to make decisions, to read the flow of the game and to find the solutions themself.

The more our D will be talented the less the puck will be on our zone and the less we will be exposed.

Our D right now is learning how to react when the system is broken. When we will be ready, I suspect we will start to see more structure. The time is not now.

Bingo.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I used to think the Habs were one of the worst team situation wise (because of bad contracts, bad prospect pool, bad coachs, bad scouting staff, etc).

What has happened today shows we are in good hand. Kent Hughes is a future oriented GM who calculates every moves he makes. No rushed decisions, the guy has no intention to tie this teams with anchor. Doesn't crumble to external pressure. Every piece added to the lot will have a specific, useful role in the long term of the crafting of this team.

Slowly but surely, this team is cultivating something special, smart. I never felt the way I do about this team since starting following the club in the early 2000. No moves makes me cringe. Let the bad apple contracts die, keep drafting well and soon we will become of the most well built team in the league with levrage to exploit does who planned poorly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad