Proposal: Montreal - Calgary

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Montréal simply can't afford to take on that contract

I wouldn't mind Huberdeau with us at all, but this contract is currently unmovable IMO

PLD and Nurse are the kind of players Huberdeau should be traded for
If Huberdeau was 7 years younger, i would love to have him. At his age and caphit.... eesh. Flames will have to see that one through.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think both teams say no to this. Montreal base on contract length. Calgary because they are giving up the best player by a country mile.

I think both teams say no to this. Montreal base on contract length. Calgary because they are giving up the best player by a country mile.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Calgary Flames
Brendan Gallagher
Josh Anderson

Montreal Canadiens
Jonathan Huberdeau
I think Huberdeau is in the same value range as Nurse. Useful player but over paid by 2 to 3 million. Might put PLD in there as well altho I don't thing he gets 6 million if he is bought out by LA

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Ya even if he finds his game and get montreal close to playoffs/first round fodder status, hes gonna age out quickly, and then its an anchor.
Exactly. Habs in this phase of the rebuild are better off playing out Gally / Josh Anderson's contracts. There is no point in trading for a worse contract or giving up assets to dump them when there is no need.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Bond

May 10, 2012
Calgary would do that deal in a heartbeat. Contract length makes it a no brainer. Get even worse in the short term and have contracts that expire when they may need cap space

Reactions: Talik Sanis

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Done. Huberdeau is the best player in the deal, but the other contracts aren't as long. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Huberdeau sucks in his first age 30 season and is signed till age 37. It's only going to get worse than better with that cap hit and him aging. The last 4 years will be brutal!

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Huberdeau sucks in his first age 30 season and is signed till age 37. It's only going to get worse than better with that cap hit and him aging. The last 4 years will be brutal!
I mean he's a 50-60 point 2nd line winger. That's certainly better than either of the MTL players. Together they don't produce as much. The issue is the extra years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean he's a 50-60 point 2nd line winger. That's certainly better than either of the MTL players. Together they don't produce as much. The issue is the extra years.

Not worth discussing. Habs are not doing this. I'd consider the Dubois idea with retention vs adding Huberdeau from age 31+ at a much higher cap hit.

The calculation risks here is Huberdeau's decline in his 30's which is is sharply showing early on. Defend him all you want but Habs are not putting our eggs in one age 30+ basket at a very high cap hit. Both Gallagher and Anderson are less AAV with less term left. If we have too, we will let them expire (3 years left).

Habs won't add someone making more than Suzuki and produces less. Sends the wrong message at a critical time in our rebuild/transition. Flames can offer us a protected future 1st and I'd still likely say no.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's a big issue though. Insurmountable
Agreed. I've said all along Huberdeau is untradable without additional assets going with him. It's the worst contract in the league, although PLD is close.

Not worth discussing. Habs are not doing this. I'd consider the Dubois idea with retention vs adding Huberdeau from age 31+ at a much higher cap hit.

The calculation risks here is Huberdeau's decline in his 30's which is is sharply showing early on. Defend him all you want but Habs are not putting our eggs in one age 30+ basket at a very high cap hit. Both Gallagher and Anderson are less AAV with less term left. If we have too, we will let them expire (3 years left).

Habs won't add someone making more than Suzuki and produces less. Sends the wrong message at a critical time in our rebuild/transition. Flames can offer us a protected future 1st and I'd still likely say no.
I think you didn't read my posts if you think I've ever defended Huberdeau. I think you didn't read my posts if you think I said the Habs should do this. I only said he's a better player than Gallagher and Anderson, which he is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed. I've said all along Huberdeau is untradable without additional assets going with him. It's the worst contract in the league, although PLD is close.

I think you didn't read my posts if you think I've ever defended Huberdeau. I think you didn't read my posts if you think I said the Habs should do this. I only said he's a better player than Gallagher and Anderson, which he is.

Most would take Huberdeau if there were no contract/AAV/term factor yes. However, that is not the reality if the situation.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Bukala was on Marek show said Flames would have to trade up to get Ignila. He's come on second half of season. Had 3 points in goal medal game.

Ledge And Dairy

Bukala was on Marek show said Flames would have to trade up to get Ignila. He's come on second half of season. Had 3 points in goal medal game.
Cool, Flames aren't doing that. Stop posting about it. It's actually better for Calgary if he's off the board when we pick because then we are targeting a position of need instead of another winger.

Reactions: Xirik and FLAMESFAN

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think Huberdeau is in the same value range as Nurse. Useful player but over paid by 2 to 3 million. Might put PLD in there as well altho I don't thing he gets 6 million if he is bought out by LA

Not sure Huberdeau at 7.5- 8.5M, with the term of that deal and 2 straight seasons of average top 6 output, has any value.

Would you want your team to sign a 30yr old, 15g/50pt forward with mediocre defensive play to a 7year 8M$ cap hit? I sure wouldn't want to touch that.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If he's there at 9 we take him, if he's not then we don't. Montreal wasn't going to pass on Koivu either but they never got the chance
Most project him to be better than his father. Outscored his father this year in junior. Despite being one of youngest players in draft. I'm in minority, Vast majority of Hab fans don't want to trade down.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If he's there at 9 we take him, if he's not then we don't. Montreal wasn't going to pass on Koivu either but they never got the chance
What ? By all reports, Habs management was relieved when Mikko was picked, since they knew they wouldn't have to justify NOT picking Saku's brother.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad