Monster or Smith? Predictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I would go with Smith. More upside, and I feel a better fit for the team (nothing against Gus) chemistry wise/overall, and ability wise they are pretty much the same. Only thing Gus has is more experience in a back up role, but sending Smith down creates a logjam at Providence and means Mac probably goes to ECHL. I'd rather have Mac and Subban splitting time down in Providence and Smith spelling Rask when he needs it and learning from Rask as well.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Smith, hands down I would pick Smith. Sign him to a 2 year deal. He should put up decent enough numbers to make him a valuable asset going into the draft for a team that needs a goalie.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I think it boils down to, can Smith reasonably give them 20-25 good games as a backup, or will it be another Svedberg situation? You know what you'd be getting with Gustavsson, health concerns aside.

I'd sign Gustavsson, and try to sneak Smith through waivers.

Let me also say that I like both players, they've both played well, and they've both earned the right to be here. Tough decision for Donny

Vdub

Live Free or Die
Dec 21, 2013
Last year the Bruins had a back up with no NHL experience. I don't want a repeat this season.
Say Yes to The Monster

BigBadBruins63*

There's a reason why Smith has never played in the NHL, he isn't good enough.

26 years old, where he was behind Pekka Rinne and Anders Lindback in Nashville. One season in Springfield, behind Sergei Bobrovsky and Curtis McElhinney. Both starters on those respective are elite goalies (Bob when healthy). Both backups I'd argue are any better than Smith.

So, yeah, i'd say your assumption is just false, but I'm not surprised. Grain of salt poster....

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
One guy has proven he can play at the NHL level in Gustavsson.

One guy hasn't proven yet he can play in the NHL in Smith.

Boston doesn't have the luxury of finding out whether or not Smith is up to the task of being an NHL back-up and submarine another season with Rask playing too many games. The safest and most logical choice is Gustavsson.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
The logical choice would be Gustavsson since the Bruins would prefer someone with NHL experience because they don't want to play Rask this season as much as they did in the past. But on the negative side Gustavsson would obviously make more money than Smith would and for a team that's up tight against the salary cap that's a big consideration. Plus there's no room for Smith, Subban and McIntyre on their AHL team so one of them would have to be moved down to the ECHL. My guess is that unless he prices himself out of town Gustavsson will get the backup job in Boston. Subban and Smith will split the duties in Providence and McIntyre will spend his first pro season getting lots of playing time in Atlanta.

Orrthebest

May 25, 2012
I would be scanning the waiver wire and looking into trades for the next couple days. Only if they can not get anything done should they sign the monster.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
I would go with Smith. More upside, and I feel a better fit for the team (nothing against Gus) chemistry wise/overall, and ability wise they are pretty much the same. Only thing Gus has is more experience in a back up role, but sending Smith down creates a logjam at Providence and means Mac probably goes to ECHL. I'd rather have Mac and Subban splitting time down in Providence and Smith spelling Rask when he needs it and learning from Rask as well.

What he said!!

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
Monster. Don't need another Svedberg situation. We know what we are getting with Monster. God forbid, if Rask went down, at least we'd have a goalie who had SOME NHL experience, rather than two rookies.

Orrthebest

May 25, 2012
Monster. Don't need another Svedberg situation. We know what we are getting with Monster. God forbid, if Rask went down, at least we'd have a goalie who had SOME NHL experience, rather than two rookies.

If Rask goes down the Bruins are totally finished, it does not matter if it is Smith or the monster at that point.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
One guy has proven he can play at the NHL level in Gustavsson.

One guy hasn't proven yet he can play in the NHL in Smith.

Boston doesn't have the luxury of finding out whether or not Smith is up to the task of being an NHL back-up and submarine another season with Rask playing too many games. The safest and most logical choice is Gustavsson.

Bingo.

Gus will even be great...some games.

Smith, ya just don't know. Total gamble.

I'm gonna pass on that.

It is worth noting that the Bruins could upgrade the backup spot through trade during the season, if somehow Gus goes snake eyes...DS is a go getter, and we do have the resourses.

I just don't see the NEED to take a chance on Smith.

Pardon me, but I don't give a crap about PROV and minor league shuffling. Figure it out. Prob be a benefit, at some point.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
If Rask goes down the Bruins are totally finished, it does not matter if it is Smith or the monster at that point.

Yes, and if Rask goes down and we could pick from 95% the back-ups in the league...we'd still be toast.

Sure, the Bruins can't take anymore huge hits. But that is what it is.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I reluctantly voted for Monster. He has NHL experience, in a way that makes up a little bit for some of our inexperienced D-men.
It was tough deciding though. On the other hand Smith knows/has played with Morrow, Trotman, and K. Miller so he has familiarity with them. I just feel as though he just isn't as experienced as Gustovson, nothing against him.
Either way I don't feel like it'd be a mistake to choose Smith. If they do lose Smith they still have Subban and McIntyre so there's that.
I give the edge to THE MONSTER, he's the only experienced goalie of the three. Rask needs to know that when he takes a game off he won't be pressed back into service late in a losing situation.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
26 years old, where he was behind Pekka Rinne and Anders Lindback in Nashville. One season in Springfield, behind Sergei Bobrovsky and Curtis McElhinney. Both starters on those respective are elite goalies (Bob when healthy). Both backups I'd argue are any better than Smith.

So, yeah, i'd say your assumption is just false, but I'm not surprised. Grain of salt poster....

You realize how bad Anders Lindback is, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad