Value of: Monahan to BOS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I really can’t see anyone wanting Monahan at his current salary. I know it’s only for this year and next but it’s still a lot given his recent production. It would take a huge leap of faith to believe he can return to his old form.

Ledge And Dairy

Monahan for JDB, 1-1
Easy no from Flames. JDB plays a way less important position, would be Calgary's 6th best LW, and won't be qualified by Calgary next year if traded there since he is definitely not worth 4.85M (especially with Mangiapane, Gaudreau, and Tkachuk getting reupped).

If Boston wants to be the 3rd team in a trade that sends Monahan to them and Eichel to Calgary then sure but Monahan despite his slow start is definitely worth more than JDB

Reactions: Nanuuk

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
A 3 way trade with Boston and Buffalo to include eichal seems like it makes alot of sense. Boston desperately needs a top6 centre and i think Monahan would be a good fit there with Hall.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
At this point, Monahan is closer to a cap dump than a legitimate asset. He has only 6 5v5 points in his last 30 games since being separated from Gaudreau.

If Calgary could retain on his AAV, he might be worth a 2nd/3rd round pick for a team needing bottom 6 depth / PP triggerman. Or maybe Vegas would do something around Monahan for Patrick?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Monahan isn't a fit in Boston at all. Boston has always preached D first and Monahan is one of the worst defensive top 6 centers in hockey. He has a good shot and size he doesn't use well and is meh or worse at everything else. He would immediately become the guy Bruins fans dump on.

Reactions: Bruhin

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Easy no from Flames. JDB plays a way less important position, would be Calgary's 6th best LW, and won't be qualified by Calgary next year if traded there since he is definitely not worth 4.85M (especially with Mangiapane, Gaudreau, and Tkachuk getting reupped).

If Boston wants to be the 3rd team in a trade that sends Monahan to them and Eichel to Calgary then sure but Monahan despite his slow start is definitely worth more than JDB

Woof. Even for you "6th best LWinger" is hyperbolic.

If Monahan doesn't play the center position well, is that even a pro for him?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I know that Monahan's price-to-performance leaves a lot to be desired, but what winning team decides to punt on a season in October? The Flames are 4-1-1 and this was their No. 1 center until not very long ago. He probably makes it back up there at some point soon too. He always seems to do so.

This is all fairy dust.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This actually works. DeBrusk contract ends this offseason, and he might even be an asset we could flip to Buffalo if there's interest...

Also will be fun to see if his dad's Oiler allegiance changes

I mean.. the Oilers are his boss.
You expect him to publicly flog his boss on air?

He's not the only one with a son in the league playing for another organization, and I don't think they change allegiances like that.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Monahan+Lucic
for
Coyle, Senyshyn, Moore

Coyle is off to a hot start, but no way. Monahan is done this year. Lucic is done next year, and has less than $1 million of actual money owing on his last year after the signing bonus is paid.

Ledge And Dairy

Woof. Even for you "6th best LWinger" is hyperbolic.

If Monahan doesn't play the center position well, is that even a pro for him?
It really isn't, je moght be 5th but I am personally taking Dube over him 9/10 times. Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, and Coleman are all obviously better.

Is Monahan having a slow start? Yes, does thst make him bad at center? No. Monahan is still recovering from his surgery, he wasn't even medically cleared to play in preseason games until the final 2. Often players get medically cleared long before they are at 100%. Look at Zibanejad last year. Monahan played quite well in his most recent game and will likely continue to take strides in tonights game vs Pittsburgh.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I know that Monahan's price-to-performance leaves a lot to be desired, but what winning team decides to punt on a season in October? The Flames are 4-1-1 and this was their No. 1 center until not very long ago. He probably makes it back up there at some point soon too. He always seems to do so.

This is all fairy dust.

this team is 4-1-1 in large part because Monahan is not their #1C. He won't be playing up there any time soon.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I don't see how Boston could take on Monahan's cap hit without sending back equal salary... so, Monahan for DeBrusk wouldn't work straight-up

Plus, the Bruins have McAvoy's extension kicking in next season, and Bergeron to re-sign...

I don't think they should gamble 6.375 million in cap space next season on a player like Monahan

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
It's tough to imagine a team will view Monahan as the missing piece to their championship run...

If the Flames want to pile on a bunch of assets with Monahan's contract, they can go after Eichel or another big fish, otherwise I think they're looking at players like Henrique, Johansen, Couture, etc if they hope to move him for a more productive player

If there's a team willing to take him for free, like maybe Seattle, Calgary should probably just let him go and put his cap hit to better use

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I just don't see a reason to trade Monahan unless it's part of an Eichel trade.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
A 3 way trade with Boston and Buffalo to include eichal seems like it makes alot of sense. Boston desperately needs a top6 centre and i think Monahan would be a good fit there with Hall.
Or Boston cuts Calgary out and gets Eichel themselves. Why give up assets for Monahan when he's been horrible just to facilitate the Flames getting the better player

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Backlund is "3C" already so that doesnt make sense. The lines those 2 players are centering wont be separated since they are clicking so well. Monahan will very likely center Dube and Mangiapane again soon though on what is widely considered tbe "2nd line"
Coleman, Backlund, and Pitlick are 3rd, 5th, and 6th amongst Flames forwards in EV TOI per game.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad