Monahan Gone

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That contract does not fit that player. Like Trouba before him and PLD before that bad contracts are bad contracts.

I have said it before I would prefer to take a pass anyways because you don’t win a cup with Scheifele and Monahan as your 1-2 punch down the middle. The only reason to sign him would be to protect our #1 draft pick over the next couple of years but that contract is a joke.

I get it, we woke up today without a clear cut #2 centre so Chevy has some work to do but Sean was not the answer anyways.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I'd be happier with Names centering the second line - add Perfetti and Ehlers and go back to what wasn't broken in the first place.
Except he's not very good and cant win a faceoff to save his life. Starting the season with him as our 2C would be an absolute disaster. He is a 4C on a playoff team.

Reactions: sipowicz

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Except he's not very good and cant win a faceoff to save his life. Starting the season with him as our 2C would be an absolute disaster. He is a 4C on a playoff team.
That line was good -
They already ran with that line and it wasn't a disaster - not sure what you are referring to unless it's just the FO pce - and I think you can be better on the dot if you work at it.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
That line was good -
They already ran with that line and it wasn't a disaster - not sure what you are referring to unless it's just the FO pce - and I think you can be better on the dot if you work at it.
That line was good for a short period of time and then began to fade. Namestnikov has been in the league 10+ years, his faceoffs are what they are. Thats not going to change at this point.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That line was good for a short period of time and then began to fade. Namestnikov has been in the league 10+ years, his faceoffs are what they are. Thats not going to change at this point.
I disagree - the line did fade but all lines have their ups an downs -
And 10 yrs in the league is meaningless IMO - he hopped from team to team and likely wasn't pushed to do anything other than retrieve pucks and push hard on the forecheck - I doubt very much that any team has worked him on FO skill - it's really a repetitive practice thing that could be improved on if the org pushed him to do so.
He's a very versatile player that could work as a second C on a D first team - I also think his skill set (hard on the puck, great forecheck, and hard to play against) lines up well with guys like Perfetti and Ehlers who will do most of the scoring but need puck retrievers.
All I'm saying is that he is not a disaster - and until they find a 2C, he's fine on a team that is looking for a low scoring defensive approach to winning games

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I disagree - the line did fade but all lines have their ups an downs -
And 10 yrs in the league is meaningless IMO - he hopped from team to team and likely wasn't pushed to do anything other than retrieve pucks and push hard on the forecheck - I doubt very much that any team has worked him on FO skill - it's really a repetitive practice thing that could be improved on if the org pushed him to do so.
He's a very versatile player that could work as a second C on a D first team - I also think his skill set (hard on the puck, great forecheck, and hard to play against) lines up well with guys like Perfetti and Ehlers who will do most of the scoring but need puck retrievers.
All I'm saying is that he is not a disaster - and until they find a 2C, he's fine on a team that is looking for a low scoring defensive approach to winning games

Honestly they should be trying to develop a kid in that role now. Passable isn't good enough if you want to contend. Take the lumps and see if you can develop someone who's better then passable. If you need Name to spell off from time to time then fine but he shouldn't be seen as solution there.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Honestly they should be trying to develop a kid in that role now. Passable isn't good enough if you want to contend. Take the lumps and see if you can develop someone who's better then passable. If you need Name to spell off from time to time then fine but he shouldn't be seen as solution there.
I'm not suggesting he is a long run solution for 2C - but he is all we need to carry us until we develop.
Passable has nothing to do with it really - we are what we are and until a 2C drops from the sky, he could be a good mentor.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not suggesting he is a long run solution for 2C - but he is all we need to carry us until we develop.
Passable has nothing to do with it really - we are what we are and until a 2C drops from the sky, he could be a good mentor.

Noone is saying he can't be a mentor, but you can't develop a 2C without playing the internal candidate at center. You can't do that if Name is in that spot.

Instead of wishing for one to drop from the sky it's time to take a proactive role and playing one of the kids there and being willing to live with the mistakes.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That contract does not fit that player. Like Trouba before him and PLD before that bad contracts are bad contracts.

I have said it before I would prefer to take a pass anyways because you don’t win a cup with Scheifele and Monahan as your 1-2 punch down the middle. The only reason to sign him would be to protect our #1 draft pick over the next couple of years but that contract is a joke.

I get it, we woke up today without a clear cut #2 centre so Chevy has some work to do but Sean was not the answer anyways.

Exactly. :thumbu::thumbu:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Noone is saying he can't be a mentor, but you can't develop a 2C without playing the internal candidate at center. You can't do that if Name is in that spot.

Instead of wishing for one to drop from the sky it's time to take a proactive role and playing one of the kids there and being willing to live with the mistakes.

I think you can learn aspects of the role while playing wing with a good responsible and well rounded center - especially if you are trying to step into a 2C slot. It's a debatable method but with the way the Jets are constructed, I would prefer seeing a player like Perfetti playing with a vet center for a time rather than learning the role on the 4th line. I know you want him to step right in but realistically, the Jets (as a win now team), are likely not going to do that.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you can learn aspects of the role while playing wing with a good responsible and well rounded center - especially if you are trying to step into a 2C slot. It's a debatable method but with the way the Jets are constructed, I would prefer seeing a player like Perfetti playing with a vet center for a time rather than learning the role on the 4th line. I know you want him to step right in but realistically, the Jets (as a win now team), are likely not going to do that.

So ...... even less chance of Lambert playing 2C this year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I don't have an issue with that method. I argued all last summer to bring in Toews to do just that with Cole. But your plan is what they did with him last year by playing him with Namestnikov and Monohan. How much more wing with Name is needed before transitioning?

Whether it be full time or part time, they need to start that transition. I'm fine with a slow approach where he say takes the ozone draws and center responsibilities while Name handles the D to start. Then have Name slowly hand over the D responsibilities as the year progresses.

For me their just actually needs to be a plan and for that plan to be followed through on.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Do you think there is a reasonable expectation that Lambert will be our 2C this year?
Less chance has minimal meaning to me unless I know what the base line is

Whatever chance Perfetti has, Lambert has less.

Honestly, no I don't think there is a reasonable chance of Lambert being our 2C this year. He would need to come into TC on fire, having taken a very large huge step in the off-season.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
What is the going rate for a 2C on a contending team?
$6-8 M ... $12 M if you are the Leafs.:laugh:
Monahan at $5.5 is a good contract for a middle of the pack team.
It's weird people are calling down Monahan's contract too much but are happy with Demelo's contract which is basically very similar at $4.9 Million ending when they are both 35.
Demelo would be a 3rd pairing on any top contending team ... he should thank Morrissey for his big payday.
It's time for the Jets to sign some physically players ... players who can win board battles and protect the front of the net for Helly that's how you win playoff series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad