Proposal: Monahan / Domi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Won't lie, I'd love to see SM in Columbus...so I'd be one board with some sort of pick involved as an insurance on Monahan form..but forget what is allowed and not

Reactions: Cowumbus

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Honestly... I'll give the OP some points for creativity.

I think Columbus would say no... but don't think it would be a "hard" no. If the deal was, say, Monahan + a 3rd for Domi... I'd imagine that the Jackets say yes.

Ultimately, while Monahan seems to be overpaid, it's important to remember that this is a guy who has scored 82 points in a season, and should be in the prime of his career at 27 years old. Columbus is also fairly thin with respect to talent in the middle of the ice. It's a reasonably low-risk; high-reward gamble if they can rehabilitate him somewhat.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think Columbus would say no... but don't think it would be a "hard" no. If the deal was, say, Monahan + a 3rd for Domi... I'd imagine that the Jackets say yes.

Ultimately, while Monahan seems to be overpaid, it's important to remember that this is a guy who has scored 82 points in a season, and should be in the prime of his career at 27 years old. Columbus is also fairly thin with respect to talent in the middle of the ice. It's a reasonably low-risk; high-reward gamble if they can rehabilitate him somewhat.
I don't think a 3rd will sway things one way or the other. You either think Monahan is a positive asset at $6.375 million next year or you think he's a negative at that hit.

Personally it's been nice to see him find some use this year but he's still nowhere near a 6 million dollar player. Calgary would have to pay Columbus a significant price to take on his contract (like 1st or Pelletier or something).

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Unless they have a guy like Gaudreau, I wouldn't expect even 40 points from Monahan.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I don't think a 3rd will sway things one way or the other. You either think Monahan is a positive asset at $6.375 million next year or you think he's a negative at that hit.

Personally it's been nice to see him find some use this year but he's still nowhere near a 6 million dollar player. Calgary would have to pay Columbus a significant price to take on his contract (like 1st or Pelletier or something).
I think a team like Columbus would view him as a positive asset, but one that carries such a great risk of failing to be that, that you don't really want to give up anything of value for.

Domi, in my view, has some value as a rental (especially at 50% retained). I think he'd probably get a 2nd round pick clear, or a 3rd + a decent prospect. Columbus isn't want to forgo all of that to take the gamble on Monahan, but if you can get most / some of the value out of Domi, and get Monahan's upside, I think it makes a bit of sense.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Honestly, if I'm Calgary, I'd might pull the trigger

It's a lateral move (they have different flaws but both of them are flawed player) but Domi's contract is done this summer.
That's a good way to get out of the Monahan contract

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Domi is a pending ufa that will easily return a 2nd + lesser asset if moved (especially as someone mentioned 50% retained)

Monahan is a cap dump at his current hit. If anyone offered a 2nd + prospect for Monahan you are also taking a dump back to balance the cap. Nobody would offer what Columbus will get for a rental Domi and eat Monahan’s full 6+ million cap hit.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think a team like Columbus would view him as a positive asset, but one that carries such a great risk of failing to be that, that you don't really want to give up anything of value for.

Domi, in my view, has some value as a rental (especially at 50% retained). I think he'd probably get a 2nd round pick clear, or a 3rd + a decent prospect. Columbus isn't want to forgo all of that to take the gamble on Monahan, but if you can get most / some of the value out of Domi, and get Monahan's upside, I think it makes a bit of sense.
They have better uses of $6m. Monahan is a dump with little upside. Closer to Lucic value.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There's a part of me that would love to believe Monahan can be rehabbed.

Then the rest of me recognizes how heavy that contract is, how poor his play has been for multiple years, and how even when he was good he was primarily a finisher rather than a playmaker (the opposite of what we need).

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
There's a part of me that would love to believe Monahan can be rehabbed.

Then the rest of me recognizes how heavy that contract is, how poor his play has been for multiple years, and how even when he was good he was primarily a finisher rather than a playmaker (the opposite of what we need).

He was part of a lotta Eichel trade rumors, and I’d have been so pissed had that actually happened. Dude is declining hard, just felt like he’d be trash without the right support- closing in on a turris sorta level of play.

That said, I don’t think I make that exchange if I’m either side. Monahan ain’t great, but he plays the flames style as far as I know. Domi is more boom or bust, just feels like a risk getting him on board before the postseason.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Not a chance in hell CBJ bites on that.

Monahan is a plug… he’s done… he has another year left at over $6m cap hit.

Ever since coming back from injury 2 years ago, he is one of the worst values in the league.

Let this soak in for awhile Sean Monahan is -14 on a team that has a +63 goal differential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad