Post-Game Talk: Mon Lars leads Pens past the Habs 6-3

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He's going to have more games like it.
I have no idea what we are going to but I remain convinced Savard is not the answer for him.

Reinbacher is. It's really unfortunate he was injured. He would have made the team, but that's the future pairing. Hutson - Reinbacher.

Savard is too slow & made some poor decisions last night. He was the one that created the 3 on 1 for Hutson to contend with. Hutson isn't supposed to be covering for Savard, which is why it got switched.

I believe Struble can play RD, so Matheson-Guhle, Hutson-Struble, Xhekaj-Savard could work.

Savard played LD on a few shifts, as we put out a Savard-Barron pairing. The D was seriously messed up. They need far better help from the forwards.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
As long as we are scoring 3-4 goals a game, I'm not sure this is what we should be focusing on.

We are leaking goals and scoring chances, despite prioritizing this area in the offseason. This is what's most concerning at this point.

Well, the reason we are leaking chances is because the forwards have been shit defensively. It's not all on the D.

The 2nd line is our worst line by far and were giving the puck away at offensive blue line all night. Every time they were on, it was cringe worthy.

Reactions: morhilane and Andy

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Reinbacher is. It's really unfortunate he was injured. He would have made the team, but that's the future pairing. Hutson - Reinbacher.

Savard is too slow & made some poor decisions last night. He was the one that created the 3 on 1 for Hutson to contend with. Hutson isn't supposed to be covering for Savard, which is why it got switched.

I believe Struble can play RD, so Matheson-Guhle, Hutson-Struble, Xhekaj-Savard could work.

Savard played LD on a few shifts, as we put out a Savard-Barron pairing. The D was seriously messed up. They need far better help from the forwards.
It's no coincidence they had to be split up in our two worst games to date.
I said before the season started teams would dump into Savard's corner and try to keep Hutson on the boards.
He won't survive that kind of exposure playing 25 plus minutes in the top 4. He just won't.
The toy runs well Marty now let's come up with a plan to keep it fully charged and in one piece.
The Habs may need to rethink that strategy where they were adamant we weren't going to shelter him.
We will probably need to shelter him on occasion and it might be wise to do so.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
I didn't watch the game, one of only a handful I won't be watching this year. How was it on Prime? I assume there were commercials, can you fwd thru them?

Also, been a Habs fan since around 1967, going to my first Habs game in Montreal in January, whats a good hotel to stay at close to the Bell Center and under $300/ night? Sorry for going OT. Thanks.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I didn't watch the game, one of only a handful I won't be watching this year. How was it on Prime? I assume there were commercials, can you fwd thru them?

Also, been a Habs fan since around 1967, going to my first Habs game in Montreal in January, whats a good hotel to stay at close to the Bell Center and under $300/ night? Sorry for going OT. Thanks.

I could fast forward through anything I wanted on the replay.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Dach did not look great last night :( I hope we see a spark out of him soon and he starts carrying the play more. I think he's going to suffer with Newhook he is going to get screwed out there on the second line.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Too many offensive D. Watching Matheson & Barron lead the rush together was something else. 2 defensemen pinching! :facepalm:

However, forwards didn't backcheck all night. Pens forwards were beating us up the ice all night. Multiple odd man rushes and open looks 15 feet in front of Montembeault.

It was a terrible defensive effort by the entire team except for Guhle.

Savard is really slowing down, and made some really poor decisions. Xhekaj & Savard couldn't contend with Pens quick puck play.

However, we were in it until the 3rd, which is similar to last year when the 3rd period is where other teams raised their intensity to win and we couldn't cope with it.
Ok, Happy to see that someone else pick on this too. This reminded me of the game against Boston where we in the 3rd, if the forecheck was successful we could pin them on their zone for a long time, but if they manage to exit, they had an easy path to our goal. Same thing again last night.

I'm sure that with few more games in, this can be corrected, but backcheck coverage needs to be address. We also need to play faster on zone exit, again, last night to many turnover at our blue line.

I agree that Savard look bad. He only played one good game so far. This is concerning for me as our RD is already very weak and we lack that shutdown Dman skill elswhere in the de D group.

Dach's line need some help. This is not working and last night would have been an easy win with a 2nd line that could generate something.

He's going to take time to get back up to speed.. he missed a full year of hockey. Marty said as much.
I think you are right, but I dont see chemistry with Newhook and Armia either. Dach's game isn't complemented by these two right now.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Exciting game last night. The crowd was awesome. Would love to see a game there at some point. It seems like an incredible atmosphere.

Loved how the fans get revved up when Hutson collects the puck. It reminded me (old time reference upcoming) of "Flocky Hockey". Good ole Ron Flockhart. It was similar when he came into the league.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ok, Happy to see that someone else pick on this too. This reminded me of the game against Boston where we in the 3rd, if the forecheck was successful we could pin them on their zone for a long time, but if they manage to exit, they had an easy path to our goal. Same thing again last night.

I'm sure that with few more games in, this can be corrected, but backcheck coverage needs to be address. We also need to play faster on zone exit, again, last night to many turnover at our blue line.

I agree that Savard look bad. He only played one good game so far. This is concerning for me as our RD is already very weak and we lack that shutdown Dman skill elswhere in the de D group.

Dach's line need some help. This is not working and last night would have been an easy win with a 2nd line that could generate something.

I think you are right, but I dont see chemistry with Newhook and Armia either. Dach's game isn't complemented by these two right now.

Definitely an issue with Armia.. Newhook's speed and left shot helps, but they need someone else that's playing at the same level as them, I'd try Heineman as I said in the other thread. Let Dach carry the puck in and if he can't, dump in and let those two with speed get to the puck and let's turn the puck over on the wall and get open for Dach.

Reactions: Rapala

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
He's going to have more games like it.
I have no idea what we are going to but I remain convinced Savard is not the answer for him.
These games will happen. They need a stay at home D who has better mobility than Savard to partner with Lane.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Newhook has been that lines best player.....he's not the problem.
The line makeup just isn't good. Armia will never be an adequate forechecker on a top line.
You won't find much success when you have a winger who can't be an effective F1 or F2 in your top 4.
If Anderson could make the simple play he'd be a better fit alas...

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
The posters crying about Lane this morning are hilarious. You can tell they are not used to having a talented dman , I'm sure Makar fox Hughes have never been -4 in their entire careers , Probably 'can't win with Subban' type posters
Who is crying, lol.

Pointing out he had a rough night isn’t crying. Is there some rule where no one critic Lane’s performance?

I’m sure when Fox or Makar had a -4 night, folks understood it was a tough night which most on here are doing.

Reactions: Habs

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Who is crying, lol.

Pointing out he had a rough night isn’t crying. Is there some rule where no one critic Lane’s performance?

I’m sure when Fox or Makar had a -4 night, folks understood it was a tough night which most on here are doing.

Rough night in the minus column but he wasn't a true -4. That's where context comes into place. He shouldn't be 'at fault' because Monty can't stop a routine shot from Eller.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Rough night in the minus column but he wasn't a true -4. That's where context comes into place. He shouldn't be 'at fault' because Monty can't stop a routine shot from Eller.
-4 or not, he struggled, and it’s fair to say so, why sugar coat it? It’s all part of the process.

Well, other D don’t get the same treatment when the goalies blow chunks.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
-4 or not, he struggled, and it’s fair to say so, why sugar coat it? It’s all part of the process.

Well, other D don’t get the same treatment when the goalies blow chunks.

I don't think he struggled, he created a lot on offense and he wasn't directly responsible for 4 goals against. He had a mixed night. If you want to look at someone who struggled, it'd be Xhekaj. Ineffective in every aspect last night.

Reactions: GrandBison and Andy

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I don't think he struggled, he created a lot on offense and he wasn't directly responsible for 4 goals against. He had a mixed night. If you want to look at someone who struggled, it'd be Xhekaj. Ineffective in every aspect last night.
I was gona say the same thing: he's -4 but i dont recall any of these goal being a direct result of a defensive break down cause by him. Bad zone coverage and backcheck are more to blame on these goals.

The kid had a good night, just ended up on the bad side of the score sheet.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Honest question- is this team good enough to be in the mix?
I don't put it all on the coach but is he the one to get us in the mix ? I'm still not even close to being sold on him.Last night wasn't quite as pathetic as our effort in Boston but close.Turned it off after the late tying goal in the second,rinse - repeat ,same crap, different year.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The Prime broadcast was the best viewing experience I have ever seen on tv, the camera angles were much better than anything shown by the other guys, it was amazing to watch. We deserve that level of excellence as long-time fans.

I felt they had little desire to start the game and that is never good but the second period was much better and then the wheels fell off lol. The Pens may be old but that core group is 3 time cup champs and if you hand it to them, they know how to take it.

I loved the two shots made by Eller, they were tough for any goalie to stop. I always loved Larry Eller and wished he would have been more.

Oh well, it was entertaining which is all we can ask for.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Problem with Xhekaj is that he's not useful when there is no toughness challenge, and he's undisciplined when there is one. Barron is playing better this season.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's a team stat so essentially the 5 man units failed 3 times when he was out there.
I hate the empty net - but still not good no matter how you look at it.
Lots of juking and jiving with little result other than players finding themselves out of position.
Plenty of work to do in terms of adapting his play style into an effective cohesive weapon at the NHL level.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I don't put it all on the coach but is he the one to get us in the mix ? I'm still not even close to being sold on him.Last night wasn't quite as pathetic as our effort in Boston but close.Turned it off after the late tying goal in the second,rinse - repeat ,same crap, different year.
Yeah as a die hard since watching Beliveau hoist the cup in 1971 I still want them to do well but the mediocre product the past 30 years has made me not expect a whole lot.
Maybe this management team has a plan that will work but I honestly don't see them much better than last season.
You can expect a physical beat down against the Kings which I won't watch.

Problem with Xhekaj is that he's not useful when there is no toughness challenge, and he's undisciplined when there is one. Barron is playing better this season.
Xhekaj is a fish out of water on this team and probably would do much better in a different organization.
As far as Barron goes he has to play better because he couldn't get much worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad