MMB’s Bruins Preview 2024-2025 - Answers and Questions

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I want to make this thread as while I have been very critical of certain moves made this offseason, I am also more excited for the regular season than… well.

In 2022-23 I thought they were the best team in the league. Predicted a Cup. Mistakes were made in the playoffs (which we’ve beaten to death) but they did forge a first overall finish that broke records that season.

Last year? I thought they’d finish wild card. WRONG. They stayed in first place for the majority of the season, only falling out in the last few weeks - and then went further in the postseason.

This season I’m not sure what to think. But I love that there is a real effort to forge a team identity. One that resonates with me as a long-time Bruins fan.

In this thread I’ll go over what I love about the offseason moves… and what I’m hesitant about. I’ll post sporadically.
——

First thing however? First thing I love? We’re BIG. We’re big and we’re mean.
According to eliteprospects.com, the Boston Bruins are both the tallest and heaviest roster in the entire NHL. Four seasons ago, we were 20th.

There is a real effort to ensure that our Bruins will not be a roster that is easy to push around. Biggest roster in the NHL.

There can be an argument around if this translates into wins. For example, #2 on this list is the Anaheim Ducks… not exactly a team poised for success.

But to me, it’s much more meaningful than regular season wins and losses. And I think it makes the Bruins better equipped to succeed in the postseason.

More to come…

Mr. Make-Believe

Vegas beat Florida by being better, not bigger.

Conn Smythe winner was 5'9", 180.
They didn’t back down either though. They stood up to the 8th place team that had bullied their way to the Finals and put em in their place.

I’ve always said that the right strategy is always balance. But balance with an identity. Panthers had that this season and it’s why they won.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
They didn’t back down either though. They stood up to the 8th place team that had bullied their way to the Finals and put em in their place.

I’ve always said that the right strategy is always balance. But balance with an identity. Panthers had that this season and it’s why they won.

Balance is very good, indeed.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm super curious about this as well, from what I've seen, I've been pretty impressed.

Not fast, no doubt, but I felt like he anticipated the play very well. He's got some hands, too. He made a few brilliant passes with his size.

Yep, was thinking he would be a big lug that lived in front of the net.

Turned out he had good hands and seemingly high hockey IQ.

Reactions: Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…..as fans we’re very, very lucky if we see our team play 20% of the amount of playoff games as we see regular season games.

We’re also extremely lucky if our team wins a title in our lifetime, never mind two plus.

Given that, as long as they make the playoffs, I’d rather see a tough team than a passive one….even if the passive one finished a few spots higher in the standings….because once the playoffs begin, it’s a crapshoot.

Mr. Make-Believe

I wanted to balance the positives with questions I have by going back and forth, but my point 2 is tied with point 1.

It’s not just size that’s been added. It’s an attitude. An aggression.

I wrote this in the Max Jones thread:
“What I got instead was something far better. A (effort if nothing else) return to a team identity that I’ve craved since they abandoned the concept not 12 months after winning the Cup with it.

Last season, the Bruins were second (to the Florida Panthers) in the league in hits. But it never really “felt” that way, did it? If you didn’t know that stat, does it surprise you to hear it now? It did me. This season: we’re gonna feel it.”

Zadorov. Jones. Kastelic. Even Lindholm plays with a bit of bite. Viel and Sweezey added for nasty depth. Sure they lost Lauko who liked to hit. But this season, the Bruins should handily lead the league in that stat.

Big, but not gentle. Initiators. Instigators.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
One player doesn't make them small.

They were definitely the better team, but they weren't outmatched in size or physicality. Vegas' D were all 6'1" or bigger, and physical. Same with their bottom 6 forward group.
Guess what?

6'1" is below the average height of an NHL defenseman.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Vegas beat Florida by being better, not bigger.

Conn Smythe winner was 5'9", 180.
Florida beat two teams who were much more skilled than they were in those playoffs, the difference that allowed Vegas's skill to win was their size. Size on the back end to withstand the forecheck, size up front to cause problems of their own, they nullified the one big advantage Florida had on everyone else.

Tkachuk tried to take out Eichel when game 2 was out of reach, as Florida does, but he bounced back. When Florida went home down 0-2 and Kolesar broke Tkachuk's sternum in game 3 the series was over.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Florida beat two teams who were much more skilled than they were in those playoffs, the difference that allowed Vegas's skill to win was their size. Size on the back end to withstand the forecheck, size up front to cause problems of their own, they nullified the one big advantage Florida had on everyone else.

Tkachuk tried to take out Eichel when game 2 was out of reach, as Florida does, but he bounced back. When Florida went home down 0-2 and Kolesar broke Tkachuk's sternum in game 3 the series was over.

If Boston doesn't have a monumental collapse in the 1st round, there's no discussion of this. It was a perfect storm of bad luck and not executing in the moment for the Bruins once it got to 3-1 in the series. Marchand with the series on his stick, the Ullmark/Gryz gaffe in OT, the multiple leads blown in G6 ( along with the outrageous fingertip " hand pass " call on DeBrusk ) G7 taking the lead in the third on the Pasta goal only to give up the game tying goal in the last minute, Bergeron and Krejci trying to be good foot soldiers and play injured when they should have rested, the questionable line juggling decisions by Monty including continuing to trott Ullmark out despite visual evidence that he just was not right after a solid start to the series. Bruins tipped over their own dominoes more than anything Florida did to them.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Way too simplistic an analysis.

As an example, the Hurricanes had Brett Burns (6'5", 230), Jacob Slavin (6'3", 207), Brady Skjei (6'3", 210) and Brett Pesce (6'3", 206) on defense and the Panthers swept them.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If Boston doesn't have a monumental collapse in the 1st round, there's no discussion of this. It was a perfect storm of bad luck and not executing in the moment for the Bruins once it got to 3-1 in the series. Marchand with the series on his stick, the Ullmark/Gryz gaffe in OT, the multiple leads blown in G6 ( along with the outrageous fingertip " hand pass " call on DeBrusk ) G7 taking the lead in the third on the Pasta goal only to give up the game tying goal in the last minute, Bergeron and Krejci trying to be good foot soldiers and play injured when they should have rested, the questionable line juggling decisions by Monty including continuing to trott Ullmark out despite visual evidence that he just was not right after a solid start to the series. Bruins tipped over their own dominoes more than anything Florida did to them.

Correct, Florida had no business beating the Bruins in that series.

Bruins lost it, Panthers didn't win it.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
To get back to the OP, we definitely have an identity now and thats the best thing to come out of this offseason IMO.

The Bruins are a tough defensive team with great goaltending. However, the offense is still in question.

I think there a lot of guys that you know what you are going to get out of them like Marchand, Pasta, Coyle, Frederic, Geekie but I feel like three things need to happen offensively

1. Lindholm needs to be a 25-32 top center in the league. He was in the past and he needs to get back there. 70 points. 5v5 with Pasta, 1st PP unit. Big defensive assignments, all that.

2. Zacha needs to take another step. He's been close to getting 60 points but he needs to break it on the wing. Need more offense from him.

3. Poitras and Lysell need to show they belong and take the opportunity in front of them. Need both of these guys to pace .5 ppg at least. My biggest worry going into the offseason is relying on these two too much. They have to claim top nine spots and bring offensive creativity.

Bonus: Brazeau isn't a fluke (surprisingly not worried about him) but he needs to claim #1 PP net front. I think 15-20 goals would be huge

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I really don't understand why you responded to my comment with "6'1" is below the average height of an NHL defenseman." if you actually do acknowledge that Vegas had a big, physical D.

Because you made 6'1" seem big for an NHL defenseman. That's all.

My response wasn't exactly a post to be taken too seriously.

Reactions: Bruins4Lifer

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2