MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Kevin Lee v Charles Oliveira in March. Guess that puts to end the talk here about Oliveira only getting easy fights.

It's actually a pretty interesting style matchup. Have to favor Lee but Oliveira will keep things interesting.
He does get easier fights and when he takes tough fights, he loses them. I think that's a pretty valid criticism of him.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Sad to see Whitaker pull out hope everything's okay.
Obvious replacement would be Till with the winner getting a shot at Izzy. Can't forget about Paulo Costa either but not sure how long he'll be out.
Yeah, hopefully it's nothing serious. I like Whittaker, but it's tough to be a fan sometimes.

Costa should get a title shot, but if he's out for too long, he might have to get another win to get it. Especially if they do Stylebender-Romero and in the meantime Cannonier or Till rack up a win or 2.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, hopefully it's nothing serious. I like Whittaker, but it's tough to be a fan sometimes.

Costa should get a title shot, but if he's out for too long, he might have to get another win to get it. Especially if they do Stylebender-Romero and in the meantime Cannonier or Till rack up a win or 2.

Yeah I love Whittaker. Was gutted with the way he lost to Izzy but in hindsight it's probably better to have an active champ.

Whittaker is still young despite having some miles on him hopefully we'll see him back and fighting frequently soon.
I'd love to see Paulo-Izzy just based off the bad blood, intriguing matchup skill wise too.
Don't know who replaces Whittaker but gotta think whoever it is puts themselves in line for a title shot if they can get past Cannonier.
Still don't love that they're giving Romero the title shot.

Reactions: pistolpete11

member 51464

I hope for Till's sake he does not step in against Cannonier. I think that would be very bad for the young man's health.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah I love Whittaker. Was gutted with the way he lost to Izzy but in hindsight it's probably better to have an active champ.

Whittaker is still young despite having some miles on him hopefully we'll see him back and fighting frequently soon.
I'd love to see Paulo-Izzy just based off the bad blood, intriguing matchup skill wise too.
Don't know who replaces Whittaker but gotta think whoever it is puts themselves in line for a title shot if they can get past Cannonier.
Still don't love that they're giving Romero the title shot.
I think Stylebender wipes the floor with Costa, but I still want to see it because of the back story. There's some rumors now that Costa might be ready to go by UFC 248 and that's why they haven't announced Stylebender-Romero.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I hope for Till's sake he does not step in against Cannonier. I think that would be very bad for the young man's health.
Cannonier is a scary guy, especially at 185, but that's the business Till is in. I don't think he's terribly overmatched either, so if he doesn't want that fight, he better go back down to 170 or just get out MMA now. Romero, Costa, etc. aren't going to be any easier for him.

Reactions: I am not exposed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Stylebender wipes the floor with Costa, but I still want to see it because of the back story. There's some rumors now that Costa might be ready to go by UFC 248 and that's why they haven't announced Stylebender-Romero.

They've already announced Adesanya/Romero.

member 51464

Cannonier is a scary guy, especially at 185, but that's the business Till is in. I don't think he's terribly overmatched either, so if he doesn't want that fight, he better go back down to 170 or just get out MMA now. Romero, Costa, etc. aren't going to be any easier for him.
I have no real basis for it, but I feel like Till would fare better against Costa than he would against Cannonier. I feel like the latter would take his head off within two rounds, but that he'd be able to mute some of Costa's offense.

Idk, I've been very off in my MMA thinking before, haha.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Damir Hazdovic vs Renato Moicano on the fight night headlines by Lee-Oliveira

probably a smart step back for moicano

Matt Brown vs Miguel Baeza on the Ngannou fight night

Ben Rothwell vs Gian Villante at heavyweight on the tony-khabib card

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sad to see Whitaker pull out hope everything's okay.
Obvious replacement would be Till with the winner getting a shot at Izzy. Can't forget about Paulo Costa either but not sure how long he'll be out.

Whatever is going on with Whitaker doesn't sound too great so like you said, hopefully everything is okay with him and his family. You rarely hear Dana come out and talk about someone the way he did about Whitaker in that interview.

He just gave the usual "we'll see what happens" response to Till possibly filling in. That'd be a good fight if it happens.

He also says they're going forward with the Cejudo vs. Aldo fight that makes little sense to me. It's really unfortunate for guys like Sterling and Yan, who are actually going out there and winning fights at 135, unlike Aldo.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I have no real basis for it, but I feel like Till would fare better against Costa than he would against Cannonier. I feel like the latter would take his head off within two rounds, but that he'd be able to mute some of Costa's offense.

Idk, I've been very off in my MMA thinking before, haha.
I get it. I mean, Connonier was a 205er at one point and he's a good fighter. But if his goal is a UFC belt and he's a 185er now, he's going to have to beat guys like Connonier. Or he should stay at 170.

I've been wrong before, too, though :laugh:

Whatever is going on with Whitaker doesn't sound too great so like you said, hopefully everything is okay with him and his family. You rarely hear Dana come out and talk about someone the way he did about Whitaker in that interview.

He just gave the usual "we'll see what happens" response to Till possibly filling in. That'd be a good fight if it happens.

He also says they're going forward with the Cejudo vs. Aldo fight that makes little sense to me. It's really unfortunate for guys like Sterling and Yan, who are actually going out there and winning fights at 135, unlike Aldo.

Didn't listen to the interview yet, but if Dana is sicking up for a guy who's historically pulled out of fights, he must believe him and therefore I do, too. Otherwise, it's Dana vs. Woodley or something. Again, I hope everything is alright.

Till is the obvious fill in. Must mean they are working on an agreement. It makes sense for everyone involved, so I hope it gets done.

Hate Cejudo-Aldo, too. Aldo-Moraes was really close. I gave it to Moraes, but it doesn't matter. It goes down as a win for Moraes and somehow that means Aldo gets the title shot? I don't know. At least give Aldo Sterling or Yan (whichever one doesn't get the title shot) next. If he wins THAT, OK, fine he gets the winner of Cejudo-Sterling/Yan.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Romero & Aldo both getting title shots coming off losses is ridiculous.

The Whittaker thing is weird, have to imagine it's something tied to what is going on over there with the fires. Maybe he's doing something to help, who knows.

Reactions: Avs_19

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don’t hate Romero-Izzy just because there isn’t a lot there, I get why ppl are against it though

Aldo doesn’t even have a win at bantamweight, that’s just f***ing stupid

member 51464

I'm less peeved about Romero getting a title shot in this situation. I will be mad at him, though, if he f***s it up and does something stupid like misses weight. Just imagine, he's three pounds over and then mercs Izzy in round 2 but can't win the belt, lol

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Romero & Aldo both getting title shots coming off losses is ridiculous.

The Whittaker thing is weird, have to imagine it's something tied to what is going on over there with the fires. Maybe he's doing something to help, who knows.

Yeah, the Romero - Izzy one was kind of silly but it only happened because Costa needed surgery and he was the clear cut #1 contender.
Cejudo vs Aldo makes no sense given that there's at least 3 healthy guys in that division who deserve it more.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ferguson posting himself on IG with tiramisu yesterday was really funny. Given the history of those two, I think McGregor is right to feel one of them isn't going to make it to the show and he can step in.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Robert Whittaker Reportedly Out Of UFC 248 To Donate Bone Marrow To His Sick Daughter

I feel bad for being critical of him missing another card. Hope everything works out for his daughter, just awful.

Hope his little one gets healthy quick. Loved Bobby Knuckles before this, love the guy even more now. He’s always seemed like a stand up guy and a really good fighter, but things like this remind you that these guys have lives and families outside of the cage.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Cyborg won last night if anybody cares. Honestly outside of Nunes that’s probably her best competition

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Jimmie Rivera and Dhiego Lima both withdrew from 247

sucks about Rivera

They made Brunson vs Shahbazyan at 248

Abdurakhimov vs Gane on the Tony-Khabib card

Anthony Smith vs Glover is going to headline a fight night

Aldo vs Cejudo is targeted for Ufc 250 in Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad