MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Conor v Nate 3 was always the fight to make next. Hope it happens.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

This wouldn't be a bad time to do the trilogy. Other top LWs are already scheduled/unavailable and this is a fight we know Nate will be motivated to come back for. Conor could also use a big win after how things have gone for him both in and out of the cage lately. The only fight I don't want to see for Conor is an immediate rematch with Khabib.

Diaz is ranked 13th in the division and hasn't fought since Aug. of 2016!. There's no way he should be leapfrogging over 10+ guys who have been putting in the time and staying active

If anything, McGregor should be facing the winner of Holloway vs Poirier

Ferguson should face Khabib

And then the winner of Ferguson vs Khabib can take on the winner of McGregor vs Holloway/Poirier

Reactions: kabidjan18

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I'm probably in the minority but I have zero interest in seeing Conor/Nate III. I'm tired of the Diaz brothers sitting for years then getting put in huge fights. Their resumes (nor attitudes) don't warrant such preferential treatment.

Also, Conor loses to Nate again he's two fights from a title shot (and very possibly done), and Diaz is what he is. You have a top 5 guy fight Conor at least that immediately makes them sellable should they win.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sounds like Dillashaw got popped for something and is giving up his belt.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Dillasnake popped and is suspended. Decided to relinquish his title.

Dude was cheating and still got walked by Cejudo, lmao.

Reactions: LSCII

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

This wouldn't be a bad time to do the trilogy. Other top LWs are already scheduled/unavailable and this is a fight we know Nate will be motivated to come back for. Conor could also use a big win after how things have gone for him both in and out of the cage lately. The only fight I don't want to see for Conor is an immediate rematch with Khabib.

Conor v Nate 3 was always the fight to make next. Hope it happens.
I was going to say I can't imagine anybody wouldn't want to see the trilogy, but...

Diaz is ranked 13th in the division and hasn't fought since Aug. of 2016!. There's no way he should be leapfrogging over 10+ guys who have been putting in the time and staying active

And then the winner of Ferguson vs Khabib can take on the winner of McGregor vs Holloway/Poirier

I'm probably in the minority but I have zero interest in seeing Conor/Nate III. I'm tired of the Diaz brothers sitting for years then getting put in huge fights. Their resumes (nor attitudes) don't warrant such preferential treatment.

Also, Conor loses to Nate again he's two fights from a title shot (and very possibly done), and Diaz is what he is. You have a top 5 guy fight Conor at least that immediately makes them sellable should they win.
:laugh:

I still think Conor-Cowboy makes more sense and would be a fun fight, but I really want to see the trilogy play out at some point. So if it's now or never, fine by me.

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

There are plenty of cases where a guy much lower fights a guy much higher. Just this last weekend we saw Masvidal (#11) beat Till (#3) even though he hadn't fought since 2017 and hadn't won a fight in over 2 years.

Literally every other name right now is tied up in fights, suspension or delusion.

This exact reason is why I want the fight - I'm tired of the Diaz brothers having all this leverage simply because of the 3rd Conor fight. Obviously a Diaz win creates a even more leverage, but the UFC would be banking on a Conor win and essentially cashing out of the Diaz business.

If Conor loses to anyone he's even further away, so thats nothing. You don't think a Diaz title shot coming off a win over Conor is sellable?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
There are plenty of cases where a guy much lower fights a guy much higher. Just this last weekend we saw Masvidal (#11) beat Till (#3) even though he hadn't fought since 2017 and hadn't won a fight in over 2 years.

Literally every other name right now is tied up in fights, suspension or delusion.

McGregor isn't looking for a fight right now, by most accounts he's looking to return sometime in the summer which lines up perfectly for him to face the winner of Holloway vs Poirier

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
McGregor isn't looking for a fight right now, by most accounts he's looking to return sometime in the summer which lines up perfectly for him to face the winner of Holloway vs Poirier

It's possible if both guys come out healthy, though still a quick turnaround. The obvious plan should be to have the interim champ fight Khabib in the fall though.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Sounds like Dillashaw got popped for something and is giving up his belt.
Woooooow. Thought TJ did everything the 'right way'.

He's not admitting to taking anything and that he and his team will look into what happened. I guess he thinks giving up his belt is the honorable thing to do, but it certainly seems like an admission of guilt to me.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Woooooow. Thought TJ did everything the 'right way'.

He's not admitting to taking anything and that he and his team will look into what happened. I guess he thinks giving up his belt is the honorable thing to do, but it certainly seems like an admission of guilt to me.

It's not honorable, he just doesn't want to be stripped. Which is what they'd have done given he's gone for a year. Ironic that he juiced, got popped for it, and still got knocked out.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
It's not honorable, he just doesn't want to be stripped. Which is what they'd have done given he's gone for a year. Ironic that he juiced, got popped for it, and still got knocked out.

Who said he was juicing? Could've been a diuretic for weight cutting.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I didn't say it was.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Apparently he's negotiating a fight right now, in which case I doubt he's negotiating to fight the winner of Holloway/Poirier considering they have no idea how the fight will go and what shape the winner will be in. All signs point to McGregor/Diaz 3 happening in July, the question seems to be whether it will be the main event, or the co-main event as the UFC seems to want it to be.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I didn't say it was.

I wasn't saying you suggested that. Simply saying he got caught and was going to get stripped so he dropped the belt before they could do it in an attempt to look honorable.

I guess Garbrandt's claim TJ was on everything under the sun and showed everyone at TAM how to juice was right after all...lol

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Who said he was juicing? Could've been a diuretic for weight cutting.
"Everyone's on steroids."
- Nate Diaz

Apparently he's negotiating a fight right now, in which case I doubt he's negotiating to fight the winner of Holloway/Poirier considering they have no idea how the fight will go and what shape the winner will be in. All signs point to McGregor/Diaz 3 happening in July, the question seems to be whether it will be the main event, or the co-main event as the UFC seems to want it to be.
Yeah, if it's not Cowboy, then it's gotta be Nate.

Making the main event of the 2nd and 3rd biggest PPV ever a co-main event is asinine. If these reports are true, what the hell is the UFC thinking?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
"Everyone's on steroids."
- Nate Diaz

Yeah, if it's not Cowboy, then it's gotta be Nate.

Making the main event of the 2nd and 3rd biggest PPV ever a co-main event is asinine. If these reports are true, what the hell is the UFC thinking?

The only reason I could see the UFC wanting it to be a co-main is that Conor has a better chance in a 3 round fight than a 5 round fight.

But I still don't believe it. I assume it will headline something in July or August.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It's possible if both guys come out healthy, though still a quick turnaround. The obvious plan should be to have the interim champ fight Khabib in the fall though.

Holloway fights Poirier on April 13th

UFC 239 takes place on July 6th

4 months isn't really that quick of a turnaround. Lots of fighters fight 3 times a year, which would be every 4 months

Reactions: m9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'll wait for more details on Dillashaw before commenting but it's certainly a blow to his career and the UFC.

The rumour was Dillashaw vs. Cejudo for the 135 lb belt in June so that's gone now. Easy call would be to make it Cejudo vs. Moraes for the vacant belt. The UFC needs Cruz healthy and Garbrandt to get back on track even more now.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Garbrandt did during their pre fight run up the first time they met. I assume it's PEDs because of that, but you are correct, it may well be something else.

I'm just speculating it had something to do with weight cutting being it happened during a time where he was needing to shed more weight than he ever has before.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
It's not really that surprising that a guy on peds(if that's the case) got knocked out. It probably happens a lot. Taking peds certainly doesn't guarantee victory.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's not really that surprising that a guy on peds(if that's the case) got knocked out. It probably happens a lot. Taking peds certainly doesn't guarantee victory.

Of course. To me, it's like the guys who do drastic weight cuts to shrink themselves into a division they don't really belong in just because they perceive there is some kind of advantage, despite the data saying there isn't. It's more that they went to such lengths to gain an advantage that is really only in their head.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Speaking of guys who were formerly cutting a bunch of weight for no reason, Dos Anjos v Kevin Lee at 170lbs to headline the Fight Night card in Rochester coming up.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Count me as another person. Most of my friends who follow UFC also have no interest in seeing part 3 as well.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad