MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I swear DJ has been on a few UFC cards now in Canada and 1) they all do so poorly 2) people end up leaving before the main event and 3) all the cards have generally sucked

Stop putting DJ on PPVs. Of a year of terrible PPV buy rates DJ may set an even lower buy rate.

Vancouver - 115,000 buys (many left after MacDonald)
Montreal - 125,000 (just an overall horrible card, co was Page/Fabio)

UFC in Toronto next year deserves something big. McGregor at Rogers...

So you're saying that DJ pulls around what Aldo does? Makes sense. Aside from McGregor, the UFC has literally no stars that pull big numbers. Even Jones DC will do maybe 450K of buys, which is up compared to the 125K-150K Holloway Aldo did, but still not really great.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So you're saying that DJ pulls around what Aldo does? Makes sense. Aside from McGregor, the UFC has literally no stars that pull big numbers. Even Jones DC will do maybe 450K of buys, which is up compared to the 125K-150K Holloway Aldo did, but still not really great.

I think with DJ it's a lower floor. He owns the three lowest buyrates of the modern era, so it's not a coincidence. It's not his fault, it's the UFC's.

450k buyrate is still a good number, though keep in mind their first fight did 800k.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think with DJ it's a lower floor. He owns the three lowest buyrates of the modern era, so it's not a coincidence. It's not his fault, it's the UFC's.

450k buyrate is still a good number, though keep in mind their first fight did 800k.

Oh no question it's on the UFC for not marketing DJ better. They could easily have done more.

I think the first fight between JJ and DC generated interest because they were fighting during press conferences, and getting heated and close to brawling in every interview. So there was legit interest and heat. Now though, it's 2 and a half years later, Jones hasn't been actively fighting because of suspensions, he's had issues out of the ring, their rematch has been cancelled once already, and the last time he did fight, he looked really bad. So it doesn't seem to be generating any buzz.

Personally, I'm very interested in it, but I don't know how many casual fans are, if that makes sense?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Oh no question it's on the UFC for not marketing DJ better. They could easily have done more.

I think the first fight between JJ and DC generated interest because they were fighting during press conferences, and getting heated and close to brawling in every interview. So there was legit interest and heat. Now though, it's 2 and a half years later, Jones hasn't been actively fighting because of suspensions, he's had issues out of the ring, their rematch has been cancelled once already, and the last time he did fight, he looked really bad. So it doesn't seem to be generating any buzz.

Personally, I'm very interested in it, but I don't know how many casual fans are, if that makes sense?

I agree with you. I think the UFC would have been better off having Cormier and Jones in separate fights on the same card, let them both win a fight, and then start building the rematch from there.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree with you. I think the UFC would have been better off having Cormier and Jones in separate fights on the same card, let them both win a fight, and then start building the rematch from there.

Yep. Completely agree with that. Would have been a far better strategy. Although, given how much I want DC to win this fight, it certainly benefits him to get a shot at Jones when he's got ring rust. Hopefully he wins and sets up a third fight later down the road when both guys are regularly active and winning.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I think the McGregor fight basically killed the marketing for this one. But I think Dana is also worried about Jones ****ing up again, so they scheduled it asap. Not too mention, it's almost in their best interest for Jones to lose. The third fight would be huge.

member 51464

I think the importance of this for DC's legacy is a bit undersold. The dude has a pretty impressive resume but I think making it happen here would be huge for him in how he is remembered.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

IMO, this is the perfect time to do the rematch. They've already dragged it out so long and delaying it further would be risky because of their history. DC is 38 years old, has had some injuries, and the weight cut is only getting tougher and Jones is unreliable for many reasons. Mayweather/McGregor has taken some of the shine away but I think there's legit hype for this fight right now and I'd be surprised if they do less than 500k on PPV.

I think the importance of this for DC's legacy is a bit undersold. The dude has a pretty impressive resume but I think making it happen here would be huge for him in how he is remembered.

True. I don't think losing twice to arguably the GOAT will hurt DC too much but he would go down as one of the best ever if he wins. If he loses though, this could be his last fight at LHW or maybe his last fight period.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

If he wins, people will say it's because Jones had a long layoff and only that. I just get the impression that a lot of people don't like DC for some reason, so no matter what he does, he won't get the credit.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
DC might be the 2nd best fighter of all time, he just happens to be in the same division as Jones. A win over Jones would be massive for him.

member 51464

DC's weight cut will be interesting. Hopefully we don't have another towelgate, haha.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Alright guys, I need recommendations for MMA podcasts, as I've cancelled my siriusxm subscription and no longer have daily Luke Thomas and MMAJunkie Radio shows to listen to.

I've already subscribed to the MMA Hour and MMA Beat, which I used to listen to before siriusxm. I used to listen to a bunch of sherdog pods back in the day, but haven't checked them out in a long time.

I heard Bas and Mauro do one, but haven't checked it out yet.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Alright guys, I need recommendations for MMA podcasts, as I've cancelled my siriusxm subscription and no longer have daily Luke Thomas and MMAJunkie Radio shows to listen to.

I've already subscribed to the MMA Hour and MMA Beat, which I used to listen to before siriusxm. I used to listen to a bunch of sherdog pods back in the day, but haven't checked them out in a long time.

I heard Bas and Mauro do one, but haven't checked it out yet.

The three I listen to are the two you already mentioned and the Co-Main Event podcast with Ben Fowlkes and Chad Dundas. Ariel is crazy with his 4 hour shows though so I only listen to select interviews from the MMA Hour. You can also still get the MMAJunkie Radio show on their app.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The three I listen to are the two you already mentioned and the Co-Main Event podcast with Ben Fowlkes and Chad Dundas. You can also still get the MMAJunkie Radio show on their app.

I just literally stumbled upon that. Awesome. I'll check out Co-Main Event as well. Thanks!

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like Sherdog's podcast feed. Their roundtables for UFC cards & their post-fight shows are very good.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
these articles of Lesnar and Jones being down to fight... that could be something to keep an eye out for in 2018 if Lesnar doesn't re-sign with WWE. That'd be interesting.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
these articles of Lesnar and Jones being down to fight... that could be something to keep an eye out for in 2018 if Lesnar doesn't re-sign with WWE. That'd be interesting.

I think Lesnar would maul him. Not even kidding. Just a tremendous mismatch in terms of size and strength.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think Lesnar would maul him. Not even kidding. Just a tremendous mismatch in terms of size and strength.

He had that mismatch vs Cain and got stopped in the first. Assuming Jones is at the top of his game, I don't think he'd have a problem with Lesnar at all. He'd have Overeem to train with too.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Cain is bigger and stronger than Jones. He's got some fat on him but he's a pretty solid 240. Jones was like 211 before his cut if I remember right. I don't think he'd be more than 220 for Lesnar. I also don't think Jones has the type of power to stop Lesnar. Barring a win by DC tomorrow this is the biggest potential fight in MMA right now IMO.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Cain is bigger and stronger than Jones. He's got some fat on him but he's a pretty solid 240. Jones was like 211 before his cut if I remember right. I don't think he'd be more than 220 for Lesnar. I also don't think Jones has the type of power to stop Lesnar. Barring a win by DC tomorrow this is the biggest potential fight in MMA right now IMO.

I was gonna say, Cain had the stopping power to shock Lesnar, Jones doesn't have the power to phase Brock.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Jones was 211 when, the day before weigh-in? He would probably be 225-230 for a HW fight, if not more.

But I agree with your point that I'm not sure about Jones power vs Lesnar, or at HW in general.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
And Brock is probably 290 on fight night.
A bigger guy that relys on power vs a smaller "bigger guy" that relied on leverage.

Jones can compete at HW, but Lesnar would be one of the worst matchups for him.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Woodley won his way outta the GSP fight. Awesome. Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad