Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team - Revs clinch playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Was a part of one of the greatest things ever in sports. Very unfortunate situation there.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
The United States Soccer Federation has named Gregg Berhalter as the new Head Coach of the Men's National Team. Previously, Berhalter was the manager of Major League Soccer's Columbus Crew.

Reactions: McGarnagle

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The United States Soccer Federation has named Gregg Berhalter as the new Head Coach of the Men's National Team. Previously, Berhalter was the manager of Major League Soccer's Columbus Crew.

I'm not familiar with him since I don't follow MLS, but I've read good things. Seems to have a coherent system, which US coaches have been lacking for some time.

Can't be worse than the Klinnsy cluster**** or Bob Bradley.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Seems crazy to take all this time and then just hire an MLS coach

It's certainly not a sexy pick, but I'm not opposed to a domestic coach - wasn't one of the biggest things tearing down the team under Klinnsman the lack of communication and reported unequal treatment for the German-born military kids on the team like Brooks and Jones?

After the fallout from that, in a lot of ways it was probably best to get a qualified American coach. Maybe if Mourinho or Lopetegui wanted to take over after being sacked, they could look at them, but their options are going to be a lot better than just the USMNT 3 years out from a WC and it'd be hard to recruit them.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
It's certainly not a sexy pick, but I'm not opposed to a domestic coach - wasn't one of the biggest things tearing down the team under Klinnsman the lack of communication and reported unequal treatment for the German-born military kids on the team like Brooks and Jones?

After the fallout from that, in a lot of ways it was probably best to get a qualified American coach. Maybe if Mourinho or Lopetegui wanted to take over after being sacked, they could look at them, but their options are going to be a lot better than just the USMNT 3 years out from a WC and it'd be hard to recruit them.

Oh ya I agree 100%. I was just surprised that this took this long and then they just signed a guy from the MLS. I’m not opposed to the coach being American at all, especially if he plays the young talent that’s finally coming through. One of my biggest problems with Klinsmann was how he handled Pulisic.

Reactions: McGarnagle

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Thought this was a reasonable take: USMNT Hires a Man With a Plan

In a nutshell, he faults Klinnsmann for never developing a coherent "plan" for his team and argues that if nothing else, Berhalter will implement a plan, even if it's a bad one. And that, is a step forward for the US.

Step 1 was hiring a coach with a plan.

Step 2 is figuring out if that plan can work A) at the international level, what with its shorter windows to train the team; and B) with the current player pool.

I'm not particularly worried about the backline or, obviously, goalkeeper. I don't think Trapp can do at the international level what he's done with the Crew, but I'm very encouraged by the play and development of more robust defensive options at d-mid like Tyler Adams and Russell Canouse. I have zero worries about the No. 8 spot, or the wingers. Forward looks a little bit thin now, but I bet by springtime we'll have two Bundesliga regulars, a healthy Jozy Altidore and at least one other young-ish forward (Andrija Novakovich? Jeremy Ebobisse? Jordan Morris?) ready to go.

Personnel-wise, the big issue is simply that the way the Crew have played since 2014 was inextricably tied to Higuain. The little Argentine has gotten my vote for "smartest player in the league" five years running, and there's nobody quite like him in the US pool. There just aren't many No. 10s at all, truth be told.

There is every chance that Berhalter fashions a plan without a No. 10. Or he could do with the US and Christian Pulisic what Tata Martino did with Atlanta and Miguel Almiron, making him a No. 10 who plays as a "central winger," bursting through the lines to find space. Pulisic has played plenty in that role for the US, and usually with good results to show for it.

The raw, top-down strategic approach (Step 2, Part A) is the bigger question. "Can the US be a mid-block, possession-heavy team?"

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Portsmouth still only has 1 loss this season, and are top of the table.

Won their Round 2 FA Cup game, and are drawn on the road against Norwich. Should be a good match.

Last edited:

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
18-year old Missouri native Josh Sargent made his Bundesliga debut for Werder Bremen today, coming on as a 76th minute substitute in their match against Dusseldorf.

90 seconds later, this happened..

Beverly, Mass resident Derek Rae on the call, by the way.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
18-year old Missouri native Josh Sargent made his Bundesliga debut for Werder Bremen today, coming on as a 76th minute substitute in their match against Dusseldorf.

90 seconds later, this happened..

Beverly, Mass resident Derek Rae on the call, by the way.

Is that the Bruins' goal horn?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Jose Mourinho gets the sack.

Mourinho and United were a marriage made in hell, it was only a matter of time.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Couple of Revs notes...
  • The team re-signed forward Juan Agudelo to a multi-year contract. Kinda suprised, to be honest. There were reports that he had interest abroad, and he wasn't even a regular starter for the Revs last season.
  • The Revs traded popular midfielder Kelyn Rowe as part of a three-team trade that saw Rowe eventually end up in Kansas City, and former USMNT left back Edgar Castillo land in Foxboro. This is far less surprising. Wile skilled, Rowe doesn't really fit Brad Friedel's athletic, aggressive, up-tempo style. He was also entering the last year of contract, and I don't think he was going to re-sign in New England. Castillo fills an enormous gap in the Revs' lineup.
  • Reports out of Colombia say that Juan Ferdinand Caicedo is now in Boston presumably to sign for New England. Caicedo is a 30-year old forward who previously played for Independiente Medellin and scored 42 goals in 150 appearances for Independiente. Friedel scouted Caicedo in person last month.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Jose Mourinho memes: Sacked Man Utd chief brutally trolled by fans in hilarious tweets

mou1.jpg

aa9d61d499cc9d4c39baced88f782186

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Huge news for fans of American soccer this morning as 20-year old Christian Pulisic has smashed the transfer record for American players after agreeing to a $73 million move to Chelsea of the English Premier League.

Chelsea has loaned Pulisic back to Borussia Dortmund for the remainder of the season, but come the Summer of 2019, the most talented player the US has ever produced will feature prominently for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Going to the Women's World Cup in France this summer...bought conditional tickets for the round of 16 and quarterfinals...but the US will almost for sure be there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad