Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team IV - Revolution move closer to new stadium in Everett

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
At this point, I've just resigned myself to the fact that the USMNT and USSF are absolutely corrupt and are beyond salvaging. As long as things continue as the status quo for the people at the top on an organizational level, as long as they continue to cater to Don Garber, as long as the sport continues to cater to only the wealthiest and doesn't do more to get the best talents based on merit rather than money, the United States will never be able to assemble the talent necessary to get a world cup win and will forever be a joke when it comes to soccer. Last night against Panama perfectly summed up why I have nothing but disappointment when it comes to the USMNT and don't expect anything from them.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
At this point, I've just resigned myself to the fact that the USMNT and USSF are absolutely corrupt and are beyond salvaging. As long as things continue as the status quo for the people at the top on an organizational level, as long as they continue to cater to Don Garber, as long as the sport continues to cater to only the wealthiest and doesn't do more to get the best talents based on merit rather than money, the United States will never be able to assemble the talent necessary to get a world cup win and will forever be a joke when it comes to soccer. Last night against Panama perfectly summed up why I have nothing but disappointment when it comes to the USMNT and don't expect anything from them.
Try as I might, I can't get worked up over the USMNT's B or C team getting knocked out of the Gold Cup on penalties.

Reactions: GabeTravels

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

It's tough, because I have to root for my country in these international tournaments and all, and support the players on the field, but the whole USSF organization is just awful all around. Hiring the wrong coaches, constant drama, get up to lots of public relations bullshit, and a pretty crappy development track record.

There's also the eternal tension between what's best for the National Team and what's best for MLS. Lots of young American players could develop into much better international players in Spain, Germany, Italy, etc., but they're guilted into staying in MLS to support the domestic league product, etc.

Reactions: EvilDead

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Try as I might, I can't get worked up over the USMNT's B or C team getting knocked out of the Gold Cup on penalties.

No, don't make that excuse. When the US goes against the B teams of other top teams, we don't make an excuse if we beat them. We shouldn't make an excuse if our B team loses to Panama. Especially considering Panama aren't some slouches. Furthermore, these "B team players" are fighting for spots in the A Team and will eventually end up there and if they struggle against Panama, then it doesn't bode well for the future. Especially if they are taking teams like Panama lightly.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
No, don't make that excuse. When the US goes against the B teams of other top teams, we don't make an excuse if we beat them. We shouldn't make an excuse if our B team loses to Panama. Especially considering Panama aren't some slouches. Furthermore, these "B team players" are fighting for spots in the A Team and will eventually end up there and if they struggle against Panama, then it doesn't bode well for the future. Especially if they are taking teams like Panama lightly.

They probably won't, considering the "A" team is already pretty young. Nations League has overtaken Gold Cup as the trophy people actually care about, which is why everyone sent their A team to that.

If this Gold Cup proves anything, it's that the U.S. needs to continue to convince its young players to move to Europe. MLS is a necessity to get to a certain level, but the development needed for international success is only going to be found in Europe.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I guess we'll agree to disagree.

For me, the takeaway from the Gold Cup is that the USMNT's B/C team is vulnerable if they don't play well. As you said, Panama's a pretty decent team, so the result doesn't surprise me. Jamaica or Mexico could have beaten this version of the USMNT, and it wouldn't have shocked me.

The bigger takeaway from the Summer was that the USMNT was dominant in the tournament they really wanted to win. Their best team kicked seven shades of crap out of the 2nd and 3rd-best teams in CONCACAF.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
my takeaways are they need to get Cade Cowell, James Sands and John Tolkin over to Europe ASAP
and I could see B Vazquez being successful in the lower tiers of English football

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Gladbach is apparently interested in Vazquez, but Cincinnati doesn't want to let him go before the end of the MLS season.

Would not be surprised at all of Cowell and Tolkin are playing in Europe come January, as well.

Same goes for the Revolution's Noel Buck.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
my takeaways are they need to get Cade Cowell, James Sands and John Tolkin over to Europe ASAP
and I could see B Vazquez being successful in the lower tiers of English football

So Cowell's on the radar of some major clubs, with the biggest ones being AC Milan, Juventus, Bayern Munich, and Newcastle United.

Sands had a decent run on his loan at Rangers so I would imagine that some clubs in Scotland and England will look at him.

Tolkin is a player in the Red Bull system of clubs, so I would imagine Red Bull Salzburg would most likely be his next move before getting sold on to a club in Germany later on down the line.

Vazquez was getting some looks from Leeds and Borussia Monchengladbach but those seemed to have fizzled out, although like Gator Mike just said Gladbach could still be in the hunt to get him once the MLS season is over. I would imagine though some clubs within Germany or outside of the top five in Europe or even the EFL Championship will give him a look at for a potential pick up.

The one I worry about is Zendejas, whose currently trapped in Liga MX and may not get a big move to Europe because of how much Liga MX demands ridiculous transfer fees for their players. Because it seems to me that he has a lot of potential, but he has clearly outgrown Liga MX.

Last edited:

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Revs have a 2-0 halftime lead over DC United thanks to goals from Gustavo Bou and Ian Harkes.

Also... when Messi comes to Gillette Stadium next year and doesn't play, the crappy turf will be why.

Reactions: Mione134

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I'm going to the bar this evening to watch the Gold Cup final(I'll go there in the dead of summer to watch soccer but not baseball) but it's still irritating that we were robbed of a USA-Mexico final.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I'm going to the bar this evening to watch the Gold Cup final(I'll go there in the dead of summer to watch soccer but not baseball) but it's still irritating that we were robbed of a USA-Mexico final.
Yeah I had bought tickets back in November...resold them when the US didn't make it. Didn't get all of my money back but still did alright.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
MLS all-stars take on Arsenal tonight in D.C. at 8 p.m. The Gunners will play Man. United at the Meadowlands on Saturday at 5 p.m. I might go to the bar tonight to watch...Chelsea vs. Wrexham, unless the bartender can wrangle up Apple TV, which can be an adventure, even for TNF.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So Canada
🇨🇦
is playing Nigeria and these are the flags the FIFA World Feed shows during the anthems….

1689907100291.png

• Wow
Reactions: Mione134
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad