Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team IV - Revolution hire Caleb Porter as new head coach

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
You know what I just can't get used to? All these subs. Germany has made 6 substitutions, Spain 5. That's literally half of the starting lineups of this game.

All my life, you got three subs. It was part of the strategy to use them efficiently and time them, part of the risk was someone being hurt late, or if one of your midfielders was just gassed and you're out of subs, or you've got a defender sitting on a yellow card. Then with the COVID tournaments they added subs as part of the protocol to handled that and it never went back to normal. Now half the team is different in the end and it's a free for all.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
You know what I just can't get used to? All these subs. Germany has made 6 substitutions, Spain 5. That's literally half of the starting lineups of this game.

All my life, you got three subs. It was part of the strategy to use them efficiently and time them, part of the risk was someone being hurt late, or if one of your midfielders was just gassed and you're out of subs, or you've got a defender sitting on a yellow card. Then with the COVID tournaments they added subs as part of the protocol to handled that and it never went back to normal. Now half the team is different in the end and it's a free for all.
I actually don't mind the extra substitutions, but I get your point. I think it rewards teams with deeper rosters.

I don't know how Wirtz missed that chance.....oof.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA

*whispers*

I think FIFA should consider unlimited substitution, including allowing players to re-enter a match after they've been taken off.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
*whispers*

I think FIFA should consider unlimited substitution, including allowing players to re-enter a match after they've been taken off.
I can agree with your first point. Not the second. I think that once you are off the pitch, you stay off. Otherwise there's going to be a tendency to over manage/over substitute and it'll slow the game down tremendously.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I actually don't mind the extra substitutions, but I get your point. I think it rewards teams with deeper rosters.

I don't know how Wirtz missed that chance.....oof.
*whispers*

I don't know, I googled it and saw on a couple reddit threads that everyone loves the expanded subs rules and I'm apparently in the minority on that.

By contrast I was all for universal DH in baseball, which makes for a better product and a better game at the expense of a nominal amount of managerial strategy, so I can let it go so I don't sound like Bob Costas railing on about tradition and strategy and shit. (Though I think the limitations of subs in soccer affects strategy way more than pitchers batting ever did)

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
FU REF YOU SON OF A ****** Taylor. Never come back to Germany.

What a travesty.

This should have been a clearcut penalty. It's been called like that for years now.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
FU REF YOU SON OF A ****** Taylor. Never come back to Germany.

What a travesty.

This should have been a clearcut penalty. It's been called like that for years now.
I disagree. It was close, and I've seen it given, but I like the fact that it wasn't awarded.

I will say that if there wasn't an English referee, that might have been awarded. That gets awarded a lot more on the continent than it does in the EPL.

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Fox Sports is reporting that US Soccer expects to make a decision regarding Gregg Berhalter's future by the middle of next week.

The women got Emma Hayes, probably considered one of the best managers in the sport. Not holding my breath that the men's side will commit the money needed to secure a top candidate.

Reactions: Mione134

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

That was the only mistake throughout the tournament for Crépeau, otherwise, no keeper has been better.
That whole play started with their goalie knocking the ball out of the hands of the Canadian about to throw it in from the sidelines to an awaiting forward for an empty net chance and no card on the play. Crazy how much the South Americans get away with. Canada should have been up by at least 2 in the first half.
"Like they say in hockey, all Swedish and no Finnish".

Onward to the Argentina game; hopefully the reffing is at least reasonable; they played well last game vs Messi and company.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad