MLB Equivalents To NHL Players

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I had a post in there, outside of that btw.
Yeah, I got a little sidetracked with Nomo stats

Barry Bonds = Gretzky

Only it's like Bizarro Gretzky in that everything other than statistical dominance is the mirror opposite

Bonds grew up a rich black kid in sunny California, Gretzky a middle-class white kid from the frozen north

Bonds peaked in the 2nd half of his career, Gretzky peaked in the first half of his

Bonds was disliked by teammates, fans, coaches, and media, while Gretzky was universally liked

I suppose they both failed as coaches post-playing career, and both ended up leaving their original teams in a smaller working-class city for the big, bright lights of California

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Yeah, I got a little sidetracked with Nomo stats

Barry Bonds = Gretzky

Only it's like Bizarro Gretzky in that everything other than statistical dominance is the mirror opposite

Bonds grew up a rich black kid in sunny California, Gretzky a middle-class white kid from the frozen north

Bonds peaked in the 2nd half of his career, Gretzky peaked in the first half of his

Bonds was disliked by teammates, fans, coaches, and media, while Gretzky was universally liked

I suppose they both failed as coaches post-playing career, and both ended up leaving their original teams in a smaller working-class city for the big, bright lights of California
Interestingly enough, Gretzky was one of those who paid tribute to Bonds when he broke the All Time HR record.

Bonds and Gretzky.png

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Roger Maris = Bernie Geoffrion

MVPs on storied franchises who were hated by their own fans for out-producing/breaking the record of a legendary player

Last edited:
Reactions: MadLuke

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Pete Rose = Bobby Clarke

MVPs known more for their hustle than their skill, both won multiple championships during the '70's
Both went into management following their playing career
Both are known for injuring an opponent with a cheap shot during an exhibition game
And each are the subject of one of their sport's most iconic photos...
BN-HN204_rose_8S_20150320102611.jpg

ezgif-3-80eecba275.jpg

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Paul O'Neill = Adam Graves

Solid players peaking as all-stars, both were key contributors on 1990 championship runs (the last championship in each franchise's history), both players would end up in New York where they would again be champions, and both surprisingly had their jersey # retired by their New York teams

They both hit/shoot left as well

Reactions: Hockey Stathead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad