Player Discussion: Mitchell Chaffee

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop after the Ottawa game:
"He played great. If you're going to circle guys that brought it tonight, he was definitely one of them."
"He's a worker. He just does what he's asked, and he doesn't try to come outside of his game plan, he doesn't manufacture things that aren't there. He gets a game plan in front of him, and he executes it, but he executes it with - he wins his puck battles, he's always in the right spots, and he's earning his ice time. He earned it tonight, and if he keeps doing this, he's gonna get more in the future."

He practiced on the 2nd line with Point and Hagel earlier today.

KOS21

Feb 23, 2022
Daily face off has him slotted at 2nd line RW, is this accurate? If so, is he capable of retaining that role?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Daily face off has him slotted at 2nd line RW, is this accurate? If so, is he capable of retaining that role?
He did practice there, but they’ve been trying a few guys out there including Sheary and Atkinson. He hasn’t shown much offensive ability in the NHL so far so it’s doubtful he sticks, but we’ll see what happens with the lineup once the games start

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop was asked about what he likes about Chaffee today:

"He's got an NHL shot. Big time NHL shot. It's heavy, it hurts. He just needs to learn the way you score in practice, you have to translate that to a game. He's a puck battle winner. You get him in a 50-50 and he wins. He's heavy, he goes to dirty areas. All stuff I really like."

Chaffee had 4 goals, 7 points in 30 games last year.

So far he has 1 goal, 3 points in 6 games this season to start

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Coop was asked about what he likes about Chaffee today:

Chaffee had 4 goals, 7 points in 30 games last year.

So far he has 1 goal, 3 points in 6 games this season to start
Cooper's way of simultaneously supporting a player publicly, but challenging him to get it together. I agree with him, too. Chaffee has the tools. He's a good skater, heavy shot, fairly good along the boards, and finishes his checks. It looks like a mental aspect of the game isn't clicking for him yet. You can kind of see it in his mannerisms when he messes up or isn't where he should be, he looks up or has an "oh/oops" look about him. His timing and decision making needs to improve. Those are parts of the mental side of the game. I don't think he'll turn into Verhaeghe, but I definitely think he's capable of being a 15 goal guy yearly.

These Are The Days

I need about tree fiddy
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I will always hate #41 because of years of Mike Smith driving me mad. Dude was always going from Dom Hasek after letting in 2 muffin shots; only to let in another muffin shot between the wickets 2 minutes after we tie the game from being down 2-0

Reactions: LightningStrikes

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I will always hate #41 because of years of Mike Smith driving me mad. Dude was always going from Dom Hasek after letting in 2 muffin shots; only to let in another muffin shot between the wickets 2 minutes after we tie the game from being down 2-0
Oh for sure! Smith was especially frustrating when he was handling the puck behind the net. It feels like at least 50% ended up a turnover and an instant goal against that could’ve so easily been avoided (go for the whistle, just stay in net, ring it around the boards, let the defenseman handle it etc).

These Are The Days

I need about tree fiddy
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Smith was especially frustrating when he was handling the puck behind the net. It feels like at least 50% it ended up a turnover and an instant goal against.
1450979_orig.gif

LightningStrikes is spitting church right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad