Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
All day long in the regular season but not so much in the playoffs………he was awesome in the playoffs this year, just incredible. We should give him what ever he wants

PPG over the last three years in the playoffs, 25 GP / 25 points, apparently that is not good? Good to know.

No one is disputing his talent, but we wonder why he doesn’t use it to its fullest in the playoffs. Does he forget how to use his edge work in April and May? Is the ice too soft? Or, is he not interested? No on knows.

25 playoff points in 25 games played over the last 3 years ... not sure the stats support your narrative.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
PPG over the last three years in the playoffs, 25 GP / 25 points, apparently that is not good? Good to know.
No he has not been good enough because that is simply a stat without context. I think you will see that much of those were multi point games.
He also had many many games where he contributed nothing.
I wonder how many game winning goals he has had or even momentum changing goals. Other then some empty calorie assists he adds very little to team success for the amount of the cap he consumes let alone the crazy increase he is likely looking for.
All that aside, he was horrific and looking totally disinterested in this past playoffs

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Again...only more reason to why out of shape Kessel can play playoff hockey and skinny, slow, weak shot Marner can't.

Your only proving my point further. I appreciate it

Kessel was out of shape? Have you ever seen the guy in shorts? He's got legs like tree trunks. Again you show ignorance with your superficial knowledge (I use the word knowledge very lightly) of the game. It's clear you've never played the game and its even more clear you've never had skates on your feet.

Mitch cant play hockey? 90 points all day baby!!!

Since the 2016-17 season = top 10 in scoring with the lowest PP time of anyone in the top 10.

OverallTime on Ice
RkNameBornPosGPGAPPIM+/-TOIESPPSH
1Connor McDavid1997F60031961593423115021:5417:453:310:36
2Leon Draisaitl1995F6103264647902827421:1416:563:300:46
3Nathan MacKinnon1995F57327647074626813821:1617:043:510:20
4Nikita Kucherov1993F5142524727242608520:0016:163:430:01
5Artemi Panarin1991F59223546970417414819:5016:303:180:01
6David Pastrnak1996F57732335167427212618:4915:203:260:01
7Sidney Crosby1987F5652544046582716920:1816:343:310:12
8Auston Matthews1997F56236828164911414019:4716:392:580:08
9Brad Marchand1988F57524839264061715419:1514:203:141:40
10Mitchell Marner1997F57619444563918411019:5115:312:531:26

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
No he has not been good enough because that is simply a stat without context. I think you will see that much of those were multi point games.
He also had many many games where he contributed nothing.
I wonder how many game winning goals he has had or even momentum changing goals. Other then some empty calorie assists he adds very little to team success for the amount of the cap he consumes let alone the crazy increase he is likely looking for.
All that aside, he was horrific and looking totally disinterested in this past playoffs

No shit he had multi point games but pretty sure they still count, we dont go through McDavid and Kucherov's stat line and scrub out multi point games, why would we do it for Mitch?

He's not primarily a goal scorer, framing the question as I wonder how many goals are game winning goals, is a disingenuous question. When you have the best shooter in a generation on your line, if you have half a brain your job is to get the puck to AM, you tend to take less shots and would score less because AM is your center, not Rocket Surgery to figure that one out.

Ask the question, how many game winning assists does he have? Considering AM is usually the shooter and Mitch is the set up guy. Since the 2016-17 season, he has 76, tied for 5th most. McDavid 97, Draisaitl 96, Panarin 94, Marner 76, Kuch 76. He does all of that with less ES and PP ice time than the 4 players before him on that list.

Is he perfect, not a chance, is he the dog shit many of you are trying to package him as, not a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: notdoneyet

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
No shit he had multi point games but pretty sure they still count, we dont go through McDavid and Kucherov's stat line and scrub out multi point games, why would we do it for Mitch?

He's not primarily a goal scorer, framing the question as I wonder how many goals are game winning goals, is a disingenuous question. When you have the best shooter in a generation on your line, if you have half a brain your job is to get the puck to AM, you tend to take less shots and would score less because AM is your center, not Rocket Surgery to figure that one out.

Ask the question, how many game winning assists does he have? Considering AM is usually the shooter and Mitch is the set up guy. Since the 2016-17 season, he has 76, tied for 5th most. McDavid 97, Draisaitl 96, Panarin 94, Marner 76, Kuch 76. He does all of that with less ES and PP ice time than the 4 players before him on that list.

Is he perfect, not a chance, is he the dog shit many of you are trying to package him as, not a chance.
Be that as it may he is no where near as good a playoff performer that you think he is then factor in how much he is paid and how much he will want on his next contract and it crazy.
The argument could be made that playing with Matthews lifts Marner up in the stat line.
Look at Hyman, top goal scorer playing with McDavid but nowhere near that on the Leafs

Reactions: arso40

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

25 playoff points in 25 games played over the last 3 years ... not sure the stats support your narrative.
Watching him sure does support it, right. If you watched the games, do you think he played at his best in the playoffs the past two years?

You’re telling us about his great edge work, why didn’t he use that edge work and put the puck in the empty net?

Maybe he’s one of those guys that’s doesn’t put in a max effort because he’s not getting paid

Reactions: Superstar

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I just want him off the team.

Boo him mercilessly. Throw his jersey on the ice after every loss. You know what, screw it, light the thing on fire and burn it to ashes.

Do it while still wearing it makes a bigger impression.

I know it's not ALL Marner's fault. But you can be god damn sure enough of it is. Just look at this thread for the evidence.

It's not only the locker room he's divided.

This isn't a situation where the fans and media are pushing a narrative. This is a situation where the player is reprehensible in his personality. And his performance doesn't justify "liking" him enough to want to keep him around.

I can't wait til he's gone.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Watching him sure does support it, right. If you watched the games, do you think he played at his best in the playoffs the past two years?

You’re telling us about his great edge work, why didn’t he use that edge work and put the puck in the empty net?

Maybe he’s one of those guys that’s doesn’t put in a max effort because he’s not getting paid
Oh please tell me you don’t believe that, lol.

Anytime a team loses you can point to someone and say see he did this la da dada. If McDavid could have tried and got one measly point, Edmonton would have won a Cup. Guess they didn’t pay him enough.

• Love
Reactions: Hellcat

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Different sport but Jalen Brunson, a star for the Knicks just took significantly less money on his new contract ($113 million less than he could’ve gotten)
No, not really. It's just a different term that gives him a money guarantee now (of more than most hockey players ever make) and changes the timing of when he'll get paid. He could very easily end up making more money long-term.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I just want him off the team.

Boo him mercilessly. Throw his jersey on the ice after every loss. You know what, screw it, light the thing on fire and burn it to ashes.

Do it while still wearing it makes a bigger impression.

I know it's not ALL Marner's fault. But you can be god damn sure enough of it is. Just look at this thread for the evidence.

It's not only the locker room he's divided.

This isn't a situation where the fans and media are pushing a narrative. This is a situation where the player is reprehensible in his personality. And his performance doesn't justify "liking" him enough to want to keep him around.

I can't wait til he's gone.

Another member of the “I’m just gonna make shit up group” . Morgan Rielly, Matthew Knies, Auston, Mitch, Nylander, Domi, Samsonov. Basically everyone who did a post season presser, said this was probably the closest Leafs team that they’ve had in the Matthews era. Everyone got along, there weren’t little cliques. Everyone was together all the time.

There wasn’t a locker room divide at all.

No, not really. It's just a different term that gives him a money guarantee now (of more than most hockey players ever make) and changes the timing of when he'll get paid. He could very easily end up making more money long-term.

Exactly, New York didn’t have the guarenteed money available because they gave a lot of that to OG. This is a good way to gain some public appreciation and a win for both the player and organization. But if you follow the NBA closely, you know the money wasn’t there and Brunson has always wanted to be a Knick, so he took what was available. I honestly expect something similar to come out if Marner is extended.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Relative to what? What do feelings have to do with it when metrics tell the story.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Anytime a team loses you can point to someone and say see he did this la da dada. If McDavid could have tried and got one measly point, Edmonton would have won a Cup. Guess they didn’t pay him enough.

McDavid such a disappointment, over the last 27 playoff games, when the score is tied, McDavid has scored 2 goals. Choker!

McDavid 0 points in game 6 and game 7 - as we have been educated in this forum, only games 6 and 7 matter. Choker!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

There’s a slight difference between game 7 of the SCF and multiple games 7 of round 1.

You knew at the time Marner was ineffective and this year he actually looked disinterested. The question remains, why?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Another member of the “I’m just gonna make shit up group” . Morgan Rielly, Matthew Knies, Auston, Mitch, Nylander, Domi, Samsonov. Basically everyone who did a post season presser, said this was probably the closest Leafs team that they’ve had in the Matthews era. Everyone got along, there weren’t little cliques. Everyone was together all the time.

There wasn’t a locker room divide at all.

They are part of the "If I think it, it must be true" club.

One more in a long line of BS made up "I got feelings" post ...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
3 points.
Exactly. So once you think back to all the playoffs performances you see some good, but for the most part his play doesn't meet his own standard, and it’s hard to write it down when it contradicts what you’ve been saying.

Now that you’ve admitted he hasn’t been good enough, why do you think that’s the case?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
There’s a slight difference between game 7 of the SCF and multiple games 7 of round 1.

You knew at the time Marner was ineffective and this year he actually looked disinterested. The question remains, why?
Didn’t at all look disinterested to me. I would have thought McDavid could have dug down deep and got at least one point in the biggest game of his life but he must have been disinterested

• Love
Reactions: Hellcat

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Didn’t at all look disinterested to me. I would have thought McDavid could have dug down deep and got at least one point in the biggest game of his life but he must have been disinterested
Marner slots in about a dozen slots lower than macdavid

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Marner slots in about a dozen slots lower than macdavid
You do have to follow along with every post to fully understand the concept of the narrative. If it wasn’t worth your time there is no need to comment.

Exactly. It’s been great entertainment. I will put a bunch on ignore come hockey season as some are clearly trolls but it’s been funny so far.
I’m sure we are all ok with this plan, just don’t try and escalate this to threatening not to eat your vegetables. lol!

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Exactly. So once you think back to all the playoffs performances you see some good, but for the most part his play doesn't meet his own standard, and it’s hard to write it down when it contradicts what you’ve been saying.

Now that you’ve admitted he hasn’t been good enough, why do you think that’s the case?
Did I say that? No, just more BS selective framing, coming from the frantic pitchfork crowd. Jesus the lengths you go to...

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

One could argue where McJesus is a hockey god and Marner is dogshit, McDavid simply super choked and Marner just being able to put his helmet on in the right direction was a massive victory.

2009-11-21-Toronto-wear-helmets-backwards.JPG

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You thought he played well in those final few games? Did you watch?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You thought he played well in those final few games? Did you watch?
I think he played to his best ability on that night, I don’t for a second believe the disinterested, he is scared he is upset he isn’t making more comments. Maybe he made a bad decision maybe he didn’t I, maybe in hindsight he may have made different decisions. All in all I think he is a great asset to the team and we would be worse without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad