Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
The core 4 are all pretty soft and lack that next gear post season. That’s why we need to trade some. If Willy can be moved for a good package great but he’s signed long term. Mathews won’t be moved and Tavares is more useful on LTIR but hopefully is gone next season. The key is not signing Marner to a ridiculous contract and if it means just gaining cap space it may be the only option. This team is handicapped by past management and it doesn’t seem like things are changing.
I like marner at just under 10 million

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
This Thread in a meme:

8wndjr.jpg
I have to commend poster IPS. He nailed it when he said early on that Marner fanboys were quiet while he sucked in the playoffs, but give it a few weeks and they'll come out full force to defend him as if nothing happened and that he's awesome. Here we are in full daylight and they ain't shy about it.

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Naa just don't give me this bull$%& thst he cares "too much". I'm glad you mentioned gym again, because that is one of the main reasons I posted the link. How fit does he look? Maybe 170lbs. Read the reddit, many people posted about how unfit he is.

Perhaps you want to show me all the recent articles about his intense offseason training?

I can show you many about Kucherovs intense offseasons. And we all know thst his offseasons are typically much shorter than Marners.

This is a player who may ve able to say "he cares too much". Training his ass off despite multiple cups and a conn Smith and short offseasons from being incredibly successful in the playoffs.

Is currently in training?
I've spent almost every single day in the gym for the past 12 years, even when on vacation. I'm married with a kid, a house, 2 cars while managing our family owned business. I was a trainer for several years and I've said it before, I am very confident that I'm in better shape than 95% of the athletes in the league, including Marner.

You see guys like him every day, guys that claim they want it but put in half the work. If Marner wants 6-7M I don't give a shit what he does in his summer, but when you want legitimate superstar money, you wanna be paid like you're THE GUY, we expect you to train and commit yourself to the team like THE GUY. And when you don't, you absolutely have to be held accountable. There's no reason why a fitness enthusiast like myself and many others, should be training harder and committing themselves harder than a professional athlete who demands the sun and the moon.

You're trying to shit on a poster for calling out how little effort Marner puts and trying to take personal shots ? You might lack the discipline, character and work ethic it takes to put in the physical work to train and continue to get better everyday, doesn't mean someone else does. This post really highlights that and your insecurities.

Again, you want to be paid like a top 5 or 10 player in the world ? Cool, we want you to work like a top 5 or 10 player in the world, it's called accountability. There's people that get it and people that don't. Nobody is telling him not to spend time with his wife, family etc, that's all fine, but if you want all the money, we want all the effort. You don't want to give all the effort ? Cool, don't demand the big bucks.

He doesn't have to post anything on social media, your body is the truest reflection of the work you put in and what you're consuming. People can talk all the shit they want, your physique can't lie.

Bwhahahhha... a gym bro with delusions of grandeur, how utterly stereotypical. Gym bro thinks he is in better shape than 95% of the 1% of elite athletes in a $5 billion dollar sport, you must have 32 team lining for your services... I'm humbled that Gym Jesus took the time to respond to a lowly, how did you put it an insecure undisciplined lacking character to get better person, those are a lot of intentionally ignorant adjectives for a person that you have zero clue about and his accomplishments ... not sure why you felt it necessary to give me your resume, could care less. Less Creatine and more ginkgo biloba Gym Bro.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Is currently in training?

Bwhahahhha... a gym bro with delusions of grandeur, how utterly stereotypical. Gym bro thinks he is in better shape than 95% of the 1% of elite athletes in a $5 billion dollar sport, you must have 32 team lining for your services... I'm humbled that Gym Jesus took the time to respond to a lowly, how did you put it an insecure undisciplined lacking character to get better person, those are a lot of intentionally ignorant adjectives for a person that you have zero clue about and his accomplishments ... not sure why you felt it necessary to give me your resume, could care less. Less Creatine and more ginkgo biloba Gym Bro.
If you need a training/diet plan you can just ask bro, clown post as usual

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
As long as Drai is not signed, Leafs should not be signing MM on a deal, since they will hold on to the little hope that McD might come home.
If we had cash we need D and goaltending. How much is McDavid getting on his next deal? Easily 15 plus. That won’t help D and goaltending.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I have to commend poster IPS. He nailed it when he said early on that Marner fanboys were quiet while he sucked in the playoffs, but give it a few weeks and they'll come out full force to defend him as if nothing happened and that he's awesome. Here we are in full daylight and they ain't shy about it.
No one has defended his play. People push back against the immense stupidity with which he’s attacked repeatedly, daily.
It’s like a bottomless pit of stupidity

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
If we had cash we need D and goaltending. How much is McDavid getting on his next deal? Easily 15 plus. That won’t help D and goaltending.
If McDavid wanted to come to Toronto and it needed to take $15 million and Tavares blankey so be it lol.

I would take McDavid over Marner and Nylander. Much easier to find soft princess wingers then generational centers.

Knies. McDavid. Xxxxx
Cowan Matthews. Xxxxx
Mcmann. Tavares. Xxxxx
Steeves. Minten. Xxxxx

Rielly. Tanev
OEL. Xxxxx
Benoit. Xxxxx

Xxxx
Xxxx

Reactions: supermann_98

facelessjoe1990

Jul 12, 2012
If Marner leaves for nothing next year should the leafs try and poison the well for him by letting the media know he was all about the money?
I think if he leaves for nothing they should blow it up. Trade everyone.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If Marner leaves for nothing next year should the leafs try and poison the well for him by letting the media know he was all about the money?

No, I think it serves an organization far better going forward to remain classy and keep negotiations private, even if they are failed.

Awful take.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022

Knies. Matthews. Nylander
Domi. Tavares. Xxxxxx
Mcmann. Xxxxxx. Jarnkrok
Holmberg. Kampf. Dewar

Rielly. Tanev
OEL. Lilly
Benoit. McCabe

Wol/Stolarz

Lot of good pieces left without Marner leaving. If you were writing an exam and didnt know the answer to the first question would you just walk out or would you still try on the rest of the questions?

Reactions: arso40

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I still don’t know how you guys can tell if Marner works out or not. If we look at F1 drivers they don’t look like athletes but they are among the fittest athletes in the world. F1 drivers train extensively on core strength and endurance and have resting heart rate of ~40bpm.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I still don’t know how you guys can tell if Marner works out or not. If we look at F1 drivers they don’t look like athletes but they are among the fittest athletes in the world. F1 drivers train extensively on core strength and endurance and have resting heart rate of ~40bpm.

No one is saying he doesn’t work out, just questioning where the results of the work are. Nylander has gotten significantly stronger on the puck and made marginal skating and shooting improvements in the same timespan, and rookie year Nylander was already faster stronger and a better shooter than current Marner.

Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

The top F1 drivers train extremely hard to build their body up to sustain the high G forces and the demand on the body for driving at high speeds/acceleration for extended periods. They are professionals and need to train as such to be at their best.

As for Marner, the proof is in the pudding as they say...he still has a weak shot after 8 years in the league, a slow skater, avoids the front of the net, plays on the perimeter...if you compare Marner to someone like Brayden Point, there's alot to be desired. It seems like Marner thinks he could just let his natural talent, which worked in junior and mostly in the regular season, carry him in the playoffs. When you become a man, playing against other men, and want to be on top and excel, you need to work extremely hard...harder than most of your peers, and the evidence does not point to Marner doing that. And when money comes so easy as a Leaf, I don't think that's a good thing.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Apparently he works hard now too, Babcock would be so proud

Babcock didn’t think Marner didn’t work hard. He used Marner to send a message to the veterans he (Babcock thought were slacking) Which was Kadri, Bozak and one other person, forgot who it was. Again completely f***ed up and humiliating and part of the reason why Marner went ham in those post ELC negotiations.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
After Marner walks at the end after another 1st round exit Marner stories will be leaked to show him in a negative light.

Reactions: Kazparov

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
No one is saying he doesn’t work out, just questioning where the results of the work are. Nylander has gotten significantly stronger on the puck and made marginal skating and shooting improvements in the same timespan, and rookie year Nylander was already faster stronger and a better shooter than current Marner.

I don’t understand this, back to back 97 and 99 points isn’t an improvement from when he started? Going from 16 and 19 goals to 30, 35 and then 26 while missing 20 games isn’t an improvement? The guy has improved just as much as Matthews and Nylander. They all have flaws and growth to do to become better playoff players. I’m just not understanding the single outing of one guy

After Marner walks at the end after another 1st round exit Marner stories will be leaked to show him in a negative light.

The only thing they’ll really have to say is that he rejected an extension and I don’t even think that can get people to dislike him more than they already do. That might actually make people happy. Or they might leak he wanted 13 mill or something.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don’t understand this, back to back 97 and 99 points isn’t an improvement from when he started? Going from 16 and 19 goals to 30, 35 and then 26 while missing 20 games isn’t an improvement? The guy has improved just as much as Matthews and Nylander. They all have flaws and growth to do to become better playoff players. I’m just not understanding the single outing of one guy

The only thing they’ll really have to say is that he rejected an extension and I don’t even think that can get people to dislike him more than they already do. That might actually make people happy. Or they might leak he wanted 13 mill or something.

Specifically what part of his game has improved? I keep hearing about his legendary off season work ethic, what tangible results of this work can you point me to? Scoring more with the same skillset because your linemate went from a 40 goal guy to a threat for 70+ isn’t the same thing as meticulously working on your shot until it’s a top end threat. Credit to him on his conditioning, he got himself to a spot where he can play big minutes consistently. Ever since he started getting 21-24 minutes TOI after Babcock left he’s plateaued at the same 90-100 point range, good for him for getting there but that was what 5 years ago? The goal scoring is a product of more TOI, the improvement in his actual shot is marginal.

The singling out is because the other two have noticeably changed parts of their games for the better, Marner has been largely the same guy since he started getting top end ice time.

It’s good that he’s getting better making do with the space he’s given with his shot as-is, but you can’t honestly say you feel good about the idea of Marner with the game on his stick at the top of the circle the way you do with other playmaking wingers his size like Kane or Kucherov.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40 and ToneDog

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Specifically what part of his game has improved? I keep hearing about his legendary off season work ethic, what tangible results of this work can you point me to? Scoring more with the same skillset because your linemate went from a 40 goal guy to a threat for 70+ isn’t the same thing as meticulously working on your shot until it’s a top end threat. Credit to him on his conditioning, he got himself to a spot where he can play big minutes consistently. Ever since he started getting 21-24 minutes TOI after Babcock left he’s plateaued at the same 90-100 point range, good for him for getting there but that was what 5 years ago? The goal scoring is a product of more TOI, the improvement in his actual shot is marginal.

The singling out is because the other two have noticeably changed parts of their games for the better, Marner has been largely the same guy since he started getting top end ice time.

It’s good that he’s getting better making do with the space he’s given with his shot as-is, but you can’t honestly say you feel good about the idea of Marner with the game on his stick at the top of the circle the way you do with other playmaking wingers his size like Kane or Kucherov.

His first 90 point season was with Babcock. Not after Babcock left. I’m pretty sure Marner also had more ice time than both Matthews and Nylander as well under Babcock. His first 90 point season also was not with Matthews, so that point isn’t very valid either.

Nylander’s game pretty much still is the same game to me. Still not overly physical. Just more ice time. Out of the three, who am I most worried about them not being worth their contract it’s 100% Nylander. Because he’s shown more often than not that he will take nights off for weeks at a time and that’s scary. Can anyone honestly say for certain that Nylander will give us another 90 point season this coming year? Out of the three he’s the biggest wild card. Nylander has the raw talent to be better than both Matthews and Marner but he does not bring it enough on a night to night basis.

Even Matthews game didn’t really evolve or change that much under Keefe until this year when Marner got injured. All three guys are still young and have room to improve, not just Marner tbh.

At the end of the day being a consistent 90 point player is extremely difficult. You can try and diminish it anyway you want. He’s still gotten there. I’d like to see him improve the goal scoring in the playoffs. But you can’t ignore his production in the regular season and try and diminish him as a player based on a team result in the playoffs and same goes the other way. We can’t ignore his playoff numbers and just say he’s an elite player. He’s a very good player who needs to play better in the playoffs. Just like Matthews who’s goal scoring production drops in the playoffs and just like Nylander as well.

Reactions: ACC1224

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

1600’s Witch hunters, 1800’s Lynch mobs, 2000’s some Leaf posters, all the same. Lol

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
1600’s Witch hunters, 1800’s Lynch mobs, 2000’s some Leaf posters, all the same. Lol

All of a sudden being a consistent 90 point player isn’t enough growth, but Nylander getting there once is his career is epitome of growth for our players. Crazy man. I gotta stop replying cause I’m honestly at a loss for words. It’s not even making sense anymore

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
All of a sudden being a consistent 90 point player isn’t enough growth, but Nylander getting there once is his career is epitome of growth for our players. Crazy man. I gotta stop replying cause I’m honestly at a loss for words. It’s not even making sense anymore
i think hes just pointing to the fact that nylander is showing an improvement despite who he plays with as opposed to marners phantom improvement based on who hes playing with

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Everyone is just going around in circles.

He can be skinny God, obese God, or a skinny fat God, it doesn't matter. He simply doesn't perform in the playoffs as required and fades as the series goes on. In the end, the team's cap structure is out of order and will remain out of order even if you completely delete Tavares from the equation.

This means Marner has to go.

He should have been gone years ago but here we are. As long as they don't extend him, they can consider this a toss-away season and move on after the season concludes.

Whether you are a Marner fan or a Marner hater, this is the true reality of the situation if the Leafs future success is what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad