Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jun 27, 2005
IMO that's the second most likely scenario at this point, the most likely being that the Leafs cave (as usual) and he gets a massive contract to play here. And needless to say, I'm not too optimistic about our playoff hopes if that happens. Say Marner is extended for 8 years, what's the over/under on playoff series wins during those 8 years? 1.5? 2.5?

We are so screwed.
This is the second time in a few days I read this sort of statement and I was hoping that you could clarify it. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean.

It's a fair assumption that Marner will sign at a quite high AAV.

Are you saying that Marner is so bad in the playoffs and / or his AAV will be so high that the team is unlikely to win a playoff series if he plays regardless of any other realistic changes that the team might make?
If I have this correct, does it apply to any team that Marner might play on or just the Leafs because for example we are stuck with too many NMC's etc?

Reactions: Notsince67

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
we cant afford that if we want a balanced team.

he is ineffective when the game heats up (playoffs).
Still waiting to see what Tre's plan to replace Bert and upgrade #3C. Clearly he has no because he used his available cap space to plug the holes on D. Tell me they realize they cannot fill out the roster with 4 guys making 46+m. On paper this team is not even close.

1720183828454.png

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I say this with all possible love, but some of y'all really just need to put each other on ignore. Seems like the fighting in here is rising to the point of blood feuding. Remember that a) arguing on the internet is supposed to be fun, and b) you're never going to convince the other person, you're only trying to convince the undecided reader.

Anyways, I'm contractually obligated twice a week to post that Marner is a bozo and we should trade his ass for a bag of pucks. I get paid more if I write that stinky pucks will do, but I don't need the money so I want you all to know that I believe on my own that stinky pucks will do quite fine, and a seventh round pick would be a big win for Pizza Brad.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I’ll send you a pm tomorrow when I’m back at my desk.

Sounds good! I trust you have good info.

Still waiting to see what Tre's plan to replace Bert and upgrade #3C. Clearly he has no because he used his available cap space to plug the holes on D. Tell me they realize they cannot fill out the roster with 4 guys making 46+m. On paper this team is not even close.

View attachment 892502

I don’t really understand the big fuss. EDM’s top 6 isn’t better than our top 6. It’s just that their 1-2 punch is SO effective. I don’t see much of a difference between how the oilers are built and how the leafs are built. They are essentially the same team. But the Oilers stars perform in the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This is the second time in a few days I read this sort of statement and I was hoping that you could clarify it. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean.

It's a fair assumption that Marner will sign at a quite high AAV.

Are you saying that Marner is so bad in the playoffs and / or his AAV will be so high that the team is unlikely to win a playoff series if he plays regardless of any other realistic changes that the team might make?
If I have this correct, does it apply to any team that Marner might play on or just the Leafs because for example we are stuck with too many NMC's etc?
No problem, always happy to explain myself, or at least try to haha.

I'm not saying Marner is "that bad in the playoffs". Historically he's been quite good for the first few games, then not so good to pretty bad after that so overall I'd say he's been good, just not as good as you'd hope from one of the highest paid players in the league. He becomes pretty much a non-factor after the first 4 games of the playoffs and the last two playoffs he hasn't been good throughout so he seems to be trending downward. But still, he has contributed a lot in the past and his contributions in the first 4 playoff games have been substantial, if he played that way throughout the playoffs he'd be a fan favorite.

I'm not optimistic about our playoff chances unless we make major changes. Our other stars are locked in so if we don't move on from Marner, I don't see how we can make major changes so if he's extended, it seems logical to expect more of the same going forward, not just from him, but the team as a whole. If we make other "realistic changes" like you say then I guess anything's possible, I'm certainly not saying that a team with Marner can't have success, I just don't see how we can make major changes with almost half the cap going to 4 players even after JT's contract is up.

My pessimism does not apply to any team that Marner might play on, just the Leafs. And our failures are certainly not all on Marner, there's plenty of blame to go around. He's become the poster boy for our failures and he probably doesn't deserve as much blame as some people give him but IMHO, he deserves his share and his share is substantial.

He was my favorite player at one time and I would love for him to prove me wrong. But I'm just being honest when I say that I don't think he's worth even 11 million a year (never mind 12.5) to a team that wants to go deep in the playoffs. That is of course just my opinion of course and as I said, I would love for him to prove me wrong, especially because I think there's a good chance he will be extended and if he does well, it will help the team which is all that matters to me.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I don’t really understand the big fuss. EDM’s top 6 isn’t better than our top 6. It’s just that their 1-2 punch is SO effective. I don’t see much of a difference between how the oilers are built and how the leafs are built. They are essentially the same team. But the Oilers stars perform in the playoffs.
Edmonton’s forwards are pretty stout. The only comparison is they both ice 12 of them most games.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I say this with all possible love, but some of y'all really just need to put each other on ignore. Seems like the fighting in here is rising to the point of blood feuding. Remember that a) arguing on the internet is supposed to be fun, and b) you're never going to convince the other person, you're only trying to convince the undecided reader.

Anyways, I'm contractually obligated twice a week to post that Marner is a bozo and we should trade his ass for a bag of pucks. I get paid more if I write that stinky pucks will do, but I don't need the money so I want you all to know that I believe on my own that stinky pucks will do quite fine, and a seventh round pick would be a big win for Pizza Brad.
:laugh::laugh:
I doubt it’s lack of interest. It’s just more work to get Marner. You have to try and convince him to waive, you have to give up assets to get him. When you can acquire Stamkos who might be older for just money and less effort.
Might be older? Is there a chance he's not? Cause if he's not older than Marner, we should have been all over him! ;)

The other day on Overdrive they seemed to agree that it's not just the top 6, EDM (after adding Skinner) has the best forward group in the league. Do you think they're wrong? I mean I'll be honest and say that I don't know the rest of the league that well but from the little that I do know, it sounds reasonable to me.

I agree that the big difference is that the Oilers perform in the playoffs and our team doesn't. But then, I guess you could compare us to many different teams and it would be the same difference. Sigh.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I doubt it’s lack of interest. It’s just more work to get Marner. You have to try and convince him to waive, you have to give up assets to get him. When you can acquire Stamkos who might be older for just money and less effort.
Nashville only has to make the playoffs and not much expectation beyond that. They should get a top 3 spot in the Central.
Also they may as well go the FA route and see if they can catch lightning while Josi is still a great player. I really wish they had kept Elkholm, though.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
HAHAHAHAHA! You're so transparent.

Hey Genius, tell me Marner's record in round 2 and beyond....

Why Marner, how about Matty, Rielly, JT, Nylander... why is Marner the whipping boy. Hey the guy has a punchable face, he is a clone of the frat boy douche bags from crappy 80's movies, with the popped polo shirt collars, I get it he looks and acts like an entitled child but why does every one have such a hard on for trading a 90 to 100 point guy when there is a guy who makes more $$$$, his skills are declining and is producing at a rate of 25% to 30% less already? We would never get fair value for mitch plus JT will probably be gone in a year. Are we signing Draisaitl next summer?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Debatable but when you look at the forward groups as a whole, they are much better. We have 3 studs of which two underperform in the playoffs. Tavares is a non factor. Their bottom 6 will take away our bottom 6's lunch money. They are probably going to the SCF this year and most likely winning it IMO.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
You asked me to show you the lies, I showed them you and the word "creampuff" was nowhere to be found in that post. I can only assume that you're going on and on about that because you can't show me where I said these things. And now you're babbling about comma placement when you've completely ignored the subject was the lies you posted, who do you think you're fooling here?

Why do you want me to call him a pound cake? I told you I have referred to him (and not just him) as a cupcake, isn't that good enough for you?

I have almost never in all my years here flagged anyone to the Mods, this is just more lies from you and you talk about "honesty" and "integrity", maybe you should look up the word "irony".

I'm not familiar with British slang and if is makes you feel better to label me ignorant for that reason go right ahead. If you ever man up and admit that your post was a bunch of lies about things you claim I have said then get back to me. I don't hold grudges, start posting like an adult and we can talk.

Short memory and poor grasp of the English language is no way to go through life...

Again if you understood English grammar at a rudimentary level, you would understand that comma's have a purpose in a sentence. You would then understand that the first two points I made in that sentence were never attributed to YOU, the third point in that sentence I specifically called you out.

You can't make your point without throwing disgusting slur's around and you can't read the written word at a grade school level, this is why you are constantly the aggressor and consistently at odds with many posters. Sorry dude you just are not worth my time.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

if we swapped divisions the Oilers would have missed the playoffs ...they play in a wide open and weak division, that we walked over, and they struggled vs our division.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Short memory and poor grasp of the English language is no way to go through life...

Again if you understood English grammar at a rudimentary level, you would understand that comma's have a purpose in a sentence. You would then understand that the first two points I made in that sentence were never attributed to YOU, the third point in that sentence I specifically called you out.

You can't make your point without throwing disgusting slur's around and you can't read the written word at a grade school level, this is why you are constantly the aggressor and consistently at odds with many posters. Sorry dude you just are not worth my time.
You asked me what you were lying about, I bolded the parts in your posts that were lies, your response is to change the subject and insult me. You said you were done with me before, I'm sure you'll say it again. LOL.

Here below are your lies again, why don't we start with this. What post of mine did you interpret as me saying "you have to win a playoff series or you are garbage"?

You can man up for once and admit that I never said these things, or you can keep showing your true colors by continuing to insult me. But if you keep changing the subject, I will call you out on it and you can count on that my friend.

according to Gary those are the only games that count. First it was regular season does not count, then it moved you have to win a playoff series or you are garbage, then Gary further reduced to only games 5,6,7 count

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
When Mitch was drafted by the Leafs and he was playing in the OHL, I walked past him while he was in a mall in my city. He was signing autographs and taking pictures with fans. I was tempted to say hello but I let him be. It also felt odd because his teammate was with him, Christian Dvorak, and he was talking all the pictures lmao. I should've said hello because it'd be a cool picture to have, and I could brag that I was quite a bit taller lol

William Johnson

Jan 8, 2012

Sorry, dude, but I thought it was worth sending along what I hope will be a helpful, if rudimentary, pointer about English grade school grammar: plurals shouldn't have apostrophes.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sorry, dude, but I thought it was worth sending along what I hope will be a helpful, if rudimentary, pointer about English grade school grammar: plurals shouldn't have apostrophes.
Fantastic! I didn't read his nonsense closely so I didn't even notice that, so cool that you did! I guess the self proclaimed grammar policeman just got fired.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Edmonton's top 6 isn't better, but they perform better when it's important.

The teams are basically the same except that the Edmonton team perform when it's important.

You don't see the dichotomy?

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Why Marner, how about Matty, Rielly, JT, Nylander... why is Marner the whipping boy. Hey the guy has a punchable face, he is a clone of the frat boy douche bags from crappy 80's movies, with the popped polo shirt collars, I get it he looks and acts like an entitled child but why does every one have such a hard on for trading a 90 to 100 point guy when there is a guy who makes more $$$$, his skills are declining and is producing at a rate of 25% to 30% less already? We would never get fair value for mitch plus JT will probably be gone in a year. Are we signing Draisaitl next summer?
Sigh.... this deflection again. Please read the Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, and Reilly threads.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
if we swapped divisions the Oilers would have missed the playoffs ...they play in a wide open and weak division, that we walked over, and they struggled vs our division.
Yep, would have been interesting to see how both teams would have fared if they were in different conferences.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

LOL. Grade school level shaming language. So transparent.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Marner wants to be the highest paid for not winning a damn thing. F-off! Take your agent and your demanding father and leave! If the Leafs pay that money, how are they supposed to attract free agents that can help the team in the playoffs? There is only so much that can go around and at one point how much is enough?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad