Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Just a reaction to the childishness on the "other side" Franky. Fight like with like. BTW, you do realize that there are paid influencers in here, right? I know you're not one, but to a logical neutral poster they're EASY to spot.

Most likely. Because they're COWARDS.
You’re not wrong. I pointed this out with Dubas posters but that didn’t go over well with Mods. lol. So yes youre right, even this post will be gone soon.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
4th period reporting that Marner has agreed to 4 teams:

If this is true, my guess it's 4 teams that absolutely could never get him under their cap.
Yeah that's my guess as well. He wants to go to a contender, but there probably isn't a contender dumb enough to think that spending a massive chunk of cap space on a guy who wilts when the pressure's on makes any sense.

I could easily see it playing out like this - he goes to UFA, and waits for that offer from a contender willing to meet his ask. Then when that offer never comes, he has to decide to either take less to go to a contender, or get the money he wants in some place like Utah. If that's what happens, I figure he'll choose Utah because taking less money would bruise his ego, and of course the money itself is probably more important than going to a contender.

IMO that's the second most likely scenario at this point, the most likely being that the Leafs cave (as usual) and he gets a massive contract to play here. And needless to say, I'm not too optimistic about our playoff hopes if that happens. Say Marner is extended for 8 years, what's the over/under on playoff series wins during those 8 years? 1.5? 2.5?

We are so screwed.

Reactions: saffronleaf

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Yeah that's my guess as well. He wants to go to a contender, but there probably isn't a contender dumb enough to think that spending a massive chunk of cap space on a guy who wilts when the pressure's on makes any sense.

I could easily see it playing out like this - he goes to UFA, and waits for that offer from a contender willing to meet his ask. Then when that offer never comes, he has to decide to either take less to go to a contender, or get the money he wants in some place like Utah. If that's what happens, I figure he'll choose Utah because taking less money would bruise his ego, and of course the money itself is probably more important than going to a contender.

IMO that's the second most likely scenario at this point, the most likely being that the Leafs cave (as usual) and he gets a massive contract to play here. And needless to say, I'm not too optimistic about our playoff hopes if that happens. Say Marner is extended for 8 years, what's the over/under on playoff series wins during those 8 years? 1.5? 2.5?

We are so screwed.

Yep. Maybe even higher. It's not like Mitch will have any reason to force himself after signing an 8 year deal.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

We are so screwed.
Chicago makes a lot of sense. Another superstar shooter to get assists from. Don't have to worry about the playoffs. Chicago a large city like Toronto.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Chicago makes a lot of sense. Another superstar shooter to get assists from. Don't have to worry about the playoffs. Chicago a large city like Toronto.
That makes a lot of sense and from Marner's perspective, he could look forward to possibly being on a contender in the not too distant future so there's that as well. That is if course if winning is important to him.
You are a proven homophobic liar.
You're the one who's a proven liar and if one of us is homophobic, it's you. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Mods removed it and he didn't get an infraction???
His lies aren't just transparent, but ugly. What kind of a person would even think of making up a lie like that. Smh.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Sounds like typical Friedman bullshit.

“One player told me that there are some players that have kind of watched…”

This guy may be the worst insider out there at this point. Everything he says is pretty obvious. No one needs “one player” to tell them how this Marner fiasco might turn FAs from signing here. It’s obvious.

And yeah, if you’re going to come to the Mecca of hockey, demand an insane overpay of a salary and fail miserably for 6-7 years straight, you’ll be hearing it from the fans and media. We don’t want those loser players anyway.
It's leafs corp media already going into overdrive to protect Mitch. Truly sickening to watch

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Letting him walk for nothing would cap off an absolutely atrocious level of asset management.
I'm not sure that's worse than taking a deal just to get rid of him.

For example, what if the only trade offered was Marner for Nurse straight up? Would that be better than letting him walk and using the $11M to get other players?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'd really hoped that we would have been able to trade Marner. But we didn't and here we are. For now. There's still a few months before the puck is dropped to start the next season, and things change, and how those changes affect teams that Marner might be willing to move to is something we just have to wait to find out.

On the plus side, I think there are a few considerations that have not been given their due.

*Marner must work hard to change the perception of the type of player he is should he want to ask for the 'accepted' 12M/yr many seem to think is the auto ask. He may be the 7th most productive player the last 5 years, but his playoff production takes a big hit, and if it does this year too, I expect teams to recognize this weakness in his game and offer accordingly. No team wants to overpay a player who wilts during the most important time of the year. Marner has to change that narrative.

*The Berube effect: I think Keefe was put in an almost impossible situation dealing with 3 young highly skilled, highly paid players. As a young coach he had to 'feel' his way into the league, and as the experience increased so too did his asks, but it was apparent that management was less than supportive. Berube will have no such difficulties in establishing the type of play he wants from his players. The consequences of not playing the way he wants will come swiftly. Marner will have to accept this, and I have to think this will improve his on ice performance. The point totals may not be as high, but I believe it will translate to a more well rounded game, and a better player come the playoffs.

*Our improvements on the blue line will help our forwards, perhaps Marner most of all. I suspect his TOI will come down a bit because he won't be PKing as much, but more that he won't be playing as deep in the D zone to support defensemen who have trouble with the puck. He'll be receiving the first outlet pass earlier, allowing him more time to scan the ice and attack with greater confidence knowing a Tanev is there to support. While he has faults, let's not forget Mitch Marner is a darned talented player, and the more time he has to do his thing the better.

Essentially, Marner won't get the big pay raise if he performs in the same fashion he has. He needs to develop that next level of commitment. He's betting on himself and that could be a good thing for the team.

Or, he could poop the sheets. We'll see.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
No. 7 years over eight means the difference of getting a contract for term afterwards. Why don't you refresh yourself on the salary cap rules

^^ :D This irrelevant trivia trying to deflect from your failed logic of comparing 7 and 8 year totals...

That's before considering Mitch will fall off the cliff hard as soon as he is separated from 11M C. Add 5 years on top of that. Slow as he is now, if he loses step, we'll call JT ageless in comparison ...

Talk about getting contract for term afterwards :DD:DD

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd really hoped that we would have been able to trade Marner. But we didn't and here we are. For now. There's still a few months before the puck is dropped to start the next season, and things change, and how those changes affect teams that Marner might be willing to move to is something we just have to wait to find out.

On the plus side, I think there are a few considerations that have not been given their due.

*Marner must work hard to change the perception of the type of player he is should he want to ask for the 'accepted' 12M/yr many seem to think is the auto ask. He may be the 7th most productive player the last 5 years, but his playoff production takes a big hit, and if it does this year too, I expect teams to recognize this weakness in his game and offer accordingly. No team wants to overpay a player who wilts during the most important time of the year. Marner has to change that narrative.

*The Berube effect: I think Keefe was put in an almost impossible situation dealing with 3 young highly skilled, highly paid players. As a young coach he had to 'feel' his way into the league, and as the experience increased so too did his asks, but it was apparent that management was less than supportive. Berube will have no such difficulties in establishing the type of play he wants from his players. The consequences of not playing the way he wants will come swiftly. Marner will have to accept this, and I have to think this will improve his on ice performance. The point totals may not be as high, but I believe it will translate to a more well rounded game, and a better player come the playoffs.

*Our improvements on the blue line will help our forwards, perhaps Marner most of all. I suspect his TOI will come down a bit because he won't be PKing as much, but more that he won't be playing as deep in the D zone to support defensemen who have trouble with the puck. He'll be receiving the first outlet pass earlier, allowing him more time to scan the ice and attack with greater confidence knowing a Tanev is there to support. While he has faults, let's not forget Mitch Marner is a darned talented player, and the more time he has to do his thing the better.

Essentially, Marner won't get the big pay raise if he performs in the same fashion he has. He needs to develop that next level of commitment. He's betting on himself and that could be a good thing for the team.

Or, he could poop the sheets. We'll see.
I want to hope that Marner will benefit from the things you've mentioned but unfortunately it seems like a stretch. I think back to watching EDM and FLA do battle in the finals and thinking that Marner would be eaten alive out there. No matter who the coach is, the game is still the same on the ice and as the playoffs progress, the games get tougher, the hitting gets harder, the refs call less penalties and guys like Marner simply do not have the time and space to operate that they have during the regular season.

I don't see it happening but I really hope I'm wrong. Marner rising from the ashes, playing like a star that deserves 11+ million and helping us go deep in the playoff would be an incredible story.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Imo, it's unlikely he'll ever play as many want, especially in the playoffs. But, if ever the year where that was to happen, I suspect it would be this year. He wants the money, of that I'm sure. He still may be traded, but we're at a wait and see point regardless of what occurs. Cheers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad